dramamine, bonine or ginger

Boatingmom

Or sea bands. Does anybody use these? Can you still have a cocktail? YEars ago I used 1/2 a dramamine and it knocked me out. Just wondering....

Bonine works ,however it is still a drug (only have to take 1 per day and you can chew it (you can always bit 1/2 or 1/4). It does not make me as drowsy as dramamine. I like Ginger Root tablets...they work well for me and are natural. Also carry the sea bands. Good thing about ginger and sea bands is as soon as you feel queasy, you can use them (Bonine & Dramamine have to be in your system in advance). And with the ginger and sea bands you can drink! :)

I don't get sea sick but I do get Land Sick which is called vertigo. This week I got real sick with dizzyness. I took 2 bonine to make sure to stop the vertigo.

It worked for me.

You can also get a prescription from your doctor to buy the transderm that you put behind your ears. It works great too.

My advise is to pack everything you think you may need for sea sickness. You can tell when your body needs it before it gets serious. Don't be brave and try to stick it out and see if you don't get sick.

I have had the vertigo land problems for many years. I used to take Antivert which is the same as a sea sickness pill.

I don't risk getting sea sick or get vertigo at home because it just gets worse.

I heard if you get real sea sick on the ship the doc with give you a shot that will stop the sea sickness but knock you out for one night.

Bonine is the OTC for Antivert. The name of the drug is meclizine, which I've heard you can get without a script from a pharmacy. Larger amounts and cheaper.

I chew a Bonine the morning of sailing, just a tiny orange flavored chewable. I chew another one around 5pm that day and I'm good to go.

I get motion sickness on land, too, so I've used Bonine under a lot of different circumstances, theme parks, motor coach rides, etc.

I've never had side effects, and have had wine or a cocktail with it. Unless we're in rough seas, I usually don't need it after that first day. No reason not to chew one every morning, though to be safe.

Everyone's system is different, so trial and error might be good.

I've known people to get seasick after they take the transderm patch off after they get home. I hope you get a good consensus on what works to help you decide. Just to take something. If you wait till you're starting to get queasy, it's probably too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take Bonine (Meclizine) every day. I start taking it the night before the cruise before I go to bed. If you're going to be drowsy, it would be nice to have that happen while you're trying to fall asleep. As someone who doesn't sleep easily, that's a bonus!

When I started cruising, I took it a half-hour to an hour before sailing, per package directions. I learned the before-bed thing from someone who posted on these boards and have continued to do that. Before reading that suggestion, I used to obsess about making sure I had the pills with me in case I was on deck or not in my cabin when we were due to sail.

As previously posted, you only need one every 24 hours. At least for me, it's easy to remember to take it as I'm getting ready for bed each night.

Even after a whole lot of cruises, I continue to take a pill each night. With today's large, stable ships, I may not need it every day; but, after getting seasick early on in my cruising, I don't want to take any chances! :D

My wife is very susceptible to all types of motion sickness & with the aid of meclizine (much less expensive OTC generic version of Bonine) has enjoyed dozens of cruises. She takes a tablet daily & being an antihistamine it could cause drowsiness however not at the dosage she takes. She enjoys a couple of glasses of wine nightly at dinner without a problem.

Obviously CC posts are only sharing experiences & it's wise to check with a doctor or pharmacist about any potential interactions with other meds or health issues.

Edited by Astro Flyer

DH has taken bonine on all of our cruises after the first one (where we had the patch). Two weeks ago, he had to see the ship's doctor about an upper respiratory infection. The doctor told him to stop taking bonine immediately.

I get very seasick on small boats and ferries and now use ginger tablets to counteract that. I used to take Dramamine, but I hated the drowsiness.

I always carry a supply of ginger tablets when I cruise, but those ships are so stable that I have never had to use them.

I rarely get any feelings of sea sickness but when I do I always just suck on ginger candy--the kind they always have in the dining room on Cunard. I believe you can ask for it in the buffet on Princess as well.

Since I first tried it in Cunard, I developed the habit of keeping a Ziplock full of ginger candy in my carry-on bag. Sometimes I carry it with me on the ship so I can share it with people who,are having issues.

Or sea bands. Does anybody use these? Can you still have a cocktail? YEars ago I used 1/2 a dramamine and it knocked me out. Just wondering....

I am a big fan of Capsulized Ginger. bottle is currently sitting on my vanity right now. i will start taking them tomorrow for Sunday's departure and will continue to take it the entire week. non drowsy, no side affects with my rum based umbrella drinks and easy to pack.

ina pinch, green apples work well, which are on board but vanish FAST in choppy seas.

Bonine each night starting the night before the cruise. As others said, if it makes you drowsy, who cares. It's cheap, effective and relatively few side effects Sure, the ships are stable . . . But we enjoy snorkel excursions and these can get rocky.

FWIW the "green apple" remedy really means Unripened apples, not the Granny Smiths that are out on the buffet. But as with all things if it keeps you from getting sick, stay with it.

I see a lot of you buy Bonine. Bonine is maclizine. Meclizine can be bought from your pharmacy for 100 for under $5. (You have to ask for them) It's the exact same thing and same strength, but you pay a heck of a lot more for Bonine. They are also chewable and have a real long expiration date. I've taken meclizine for years for vertigo and there are no side effects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see a lot of you buy Bonine. Bonine is maclizine. Meclizine can be bought from your pharmacy for 100 for under $5. (You have to ask for them) It's the exact same thing and same strength, but you pay a heck of a lot more for Bonine. They are also chewable and have a real long expiration date. I've taken meclizine for years for vertigo and there are no side effects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What she said!:)

Dramamine does have drowsiness as a side effect.

I use Meclazine which is a cheaper generic version of Bonine and doesn't seem to have drowsiness side effect.

Ginger or ginger capsules are good for settling stomach or preventing nausea.

Saltine crackers also help if stomach is upset. Green apples can also help.

Sea bands can have blurry vision or dry mouth as side effects.

I take Meclazine only if seas get choppy. I don't drink cocktails in choppy seas.

So I don't really know if the two should be taken together but I would think it's okay.

After sailing on the Disney cruise after Tropical storm Dan and DH suffering and none of what you mentioned worked for him.

We now sail with SCOP patches and have not had a problem since.

So, consider all the options.

Now mind you they are Rx, and they in themselves have risks and benefits, so weigh all your options.

They have made a comeback in the surgery center I work at, and many people are not suffering nausea and vomiting after a procedure.

Safe travels.

• 4 weeks later...

On our last cruise I thought I'd use the sea-bands instead of Bonine. The first night I went to bed and woke up around 5 in the morning with my left hand so swollen I couldn't get my rings off. My fingers looked like little piggies, rather than fingers. I took the sea bands off and went back to Bonine without any issues at all.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

On our last cruise I thought I'd use the sea-bands instead of Bonine. The first night I went to bed and woke up around 5 in the morning with my left hand so swollen I couldn't get my rings off. My fingers looked like little piggies, rather than fingers. I took the sea bands off and went back to Bonine without any issues at all.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Save yourself a lot of money and buy Meclizine at the pharmacy - no prescription needed. Bonine is just Meclizine with another name. 100 chewable 25 mg tablets for around $5'