Skier 52 - Cabin Question

janie315

23 minutes ago, Skier52 said:

To avoid shade from the overhang it is best to be on a hump, which is where 10238 is. However it only has a standard balcony of 44 sq. ft. To get the biggest balcony possible you need to look at cabins that are next to the hump wall eg  10178 / 10278 BUT, these have a problem in that they only have a 90 degree field of view and will be shaded on occasions by the hump wall.

For an even bigger balcony you could enquire about booking an 'H' cabin eg 10083 / 10110 again these are next to a hump wall. These cabins are not always available for booking well in advance as they are reserved for special needs guests., and , if you do manage to book one you are at risk of being bumped out if a special needs guest requires it. They also have  different fixtures and fittings tp accommodate special needs and some  find them  inconvenient.

I don't  believe the Aurea balconies are smaller than the Fantasica balconies.

Finally I keep my eyes and ears open and visit the MSCV web site and do a dummy booking on a very regular basis just in case an Aft balcony becomes available.

I hope this  answers some of your thoughts..

Pete 

Thanks Pete!  I too check regularly for a better cabin.  Thank you.

15 hours ago, TeamDawson said:

Hello. I heard rumors about some rooms only have a double or single sofa bed on Meraviglia. Can you confirm which ones these are?  (No traditional bed)

My thoughts are that the rumours refer to the additional, beyond the standard two guests, capacity being serviced by a sofa bed which can be either single or double.  this type of cabin will be marked  3rd  guest (triangle) or 3/4th guest (diamond)

Some cabins come with just a sofa or just a chair and a few cases no additional seating which cannot be converted to a bed (no symbol)

I would suggest that the rumours have gone the way of 'Chinese whispers' and distorted the truth

I would be interested to know if there are cabins with no traditional bed

18 hours ago, TeamDawson said:

Hello. I heard rumors about some rooms only have a double or single sofa bed on Meraviglia. Can you confirm which ones these are?  (No traditional bed)

I think those may be referring to the inside attached to balcony or OV that makes up the 'family' cabin.  EM

Well I feel rather silly as I created a port without realizing there was a lengthy cabin post already. Then after someone alerted me, I though they meant the sticky post at the top of the thread about all the experiences, etc. 

Anyway, we're considering an obstructed oceanview on Poesia this fall for a short cruise and wanted to know how it compares to an interior on the same ship [or class of ship].  We are usually fine with interior staterooms but they seem to be extremely small on Poesia; per the website they are a good 20 sqft smaller than an oceanview so we were thinking of the upgrade for the extra space.  Are the obstructed OV and the non-obstructed the same size?   Are they really noticeably larger than the interior?  The interior cabins don't seem to even have an armchair...just the small desk chair.  We have never sailed MSC before so this is all new to us.  Not sure if it matters as to the cabin size but we would select the Bella experience as we don't care about room service and rarely drink alcohol.  Thanks in advance!

15 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Well I feel rather silly as I created a port without realizing there was a lengthy cabin post already. Then after someone alerted me, I though they meant the sticky post at the top of the thread about all the experiences, etc. 

Anyway, we're considering an obstructed oceanview on Poesia this fall for a short cruise and wanted to know how it compares to an interior on the same ship [or class of ship].  We are usually fine with interior staterooms but they seem to be extremely small on Poesia; per the website they are a good 20 sqft smaller than an oceanview so we were thinking of the upgrade for the extra space.  Are the obstructed OV and the non-obstructed the same size?   Are they really noticeably larger than the interior?  The interior cabins don't seem to even have an armchair...just the small desk chair.  We have never sailed MSC before so this is all new to us.  Not sure if it matters as to the cabin size but we would select the Bella experience as we don't care about room service and rarely drink alcohol.  Thanks in advance!

To the best of my knowledge the OV and Obstructed OV are the  same size it's just that the view from obstructed cabins is affected by external parts of the ship  eg  lifeboats and window washing equipment.

I've never had an interior myself  but I do believe that the interior cabins are noticeably smaller than the OVs, most noticeable is the absence of seating eg chairs and sofas

Pete

1 hour ago, Skier52 said:

To the best of my knowledge the OV and Obstructed OV are the  same size it's just that the view from obstructed cabins is affected by external parts of the ship  eg  lifeboats and window washing equipment.

I've never had an interior myself  but I do believe that the interior cabins are noticeably smaller than the OVs, most noticeable is the absence of seating eg chairs and sofas

Pete

Thanks for the response!!  We ended up with the OV for the larger size. Cabin 8070 looks to have a smaller lifeboat in front of it. Any chance you have an idea what that is? Thanks again!

40 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

Thanks for the response!!  We ended up with the OV for the larger size. Cabin 8070 looks to have a smaller lifeboat in front of it. Any chance you have an idea what that is? Thanks again!

This is a high-res photo of the starboard side

IMG_8356.JPG

The small boat looks like a semi-rigid lifeboat.

It is not located directly in front of 8070.

39 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

This is a high-res photo of the starboard side

IMG_8356.JPG

The small boat looks like a semi-rigid lifeboat.

It is not located directly in front of 8070.

Thank you so much!!  It looks like the obstruction in 8070 is not that large so that’s a plus. I appreciate the photo!

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Any downside to the nine deck 7  OV cabins (two decks below your mark) with the large windows? (7008 through 7052)

YES, They are directly above the theatre and so they could have a major noise problem. Don't forget they do rehearsals in it during the day

Edited by Skier52

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Armonia OV cabins 7173, 7175, 7186, 7188:  Any info on whether the window faces side or aft?  Is the nearby open space and stairs available to passengers?  Anything else we might find useful in making a decision?

Looking at an image of the stern; the windows of the cabins you name I would say look out to the side of the ship.

The corridors and stair wells are freely used by anyone to gain access to the big 'balcony' area and from personal experience on the other 3 ships of this class there is heavy use of these areas, so there may well be a noise issue.

pete 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, you have given a great deal of your time and such great info to this thread, so THANK YOU!  Guess I’ll jump in...what do you think of aft facing cabin 10262 on the Divina? When I look at the deck plans, it appears that there is nothing across from the cabin when you open the door to leave?  Is it open space? Or just a wall?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, GrandmaOhio said:

Wow, you have given a great deal of your time and such great info to this thread, so THANK YOU!  Guess I’ll jump in...what do you think of aft facing cabin 10262 on the Divina? When I look at the deck plans, it appears that there is nothing across from the cabin when you open the door to leave?  Is it open space? Or just a wall?

Thanks!

THIS IS  FANTASTIC CABIN WITH A MASSIVE BALCONY 118 sq ft  ( yes I am shouting)

Opposite is,  I think , a door for crew access to a stairwell that goes  from deck 8 to deck 10

Deck10_aft%201.jpg