Is no smoking on balconies causing insides and OV to sell out?

PekingeseLady

Do you think there are more balcony cabins available 45 days before cruise date now that smoking is not allowed on balconies? What I've noticed is the inside and oceanviews are all sold out with tons of balconies available. Or is it just that as a smoker I always booked balconies and just never noticed the insides and OV as sold out? Now I don't need my balcony and spend much more time out on deck, so an inside is all I need. I was hoping on my next Crown cruise I have an obstructed view and was hoping to maybe get a deal while on board to book for the following week, but all insides and OV are showing as sold out. :rolleyes:

Not sure if smoking has anything to do with it but, rather, the cost is usually much lower than for balconies.

As far as booking the following week's cruise onboard, that's a huge gamble... As that cruise is past final payment, my guess is that there won't be many cancellations... Also, Princess will be assigning any guarantees...

If you really want to stay on for the following week, I'd suggest booking a balcony now... if you don't, the odds of you being able to stay on are slim to none.

I'm willing to look at prices of insides, obstructed views, and balconies. I haven't noticed a trend of the insides and obstructed views selling out before balconies--at least not for the cruises that I've booked. I generally book after the final payment date, but I start looking at prices a few months before then.

Why would smoking have anything to do with it? :confused:

Princess ships sell out consistantly.

I think the OP means that formerly, when smoking was allowed on balconies, those cabins sold out faster to smokers. They wouldn't go for the insides first. I'm not sure the logic holds, but I do understand what OP is saying.

Would think that for every smoker who booked a balcony under the old rules, there was a non-smoker who avoided one.

With the new rules, some smokers have probably moved to the cheaper rooms, but the non-smoker who felt the couple not use the balcony is now back on one.

I won't try and guess which way got more people moving.

Would think that for every smoker who booked a balcony under the old rules, there was a non-smoker who avoided one.

With the new rules, some smokers have probably moved to the cheaper rooms, but the non-smoker who felt the couple not use the balcony is now back on one.

I won't try and guess which way got more people moving.

I realize there is no smoking allowed in any of the cabins but........how do they (Princess) get the cigarette smell out of inside cabin for the next passenger(s)? I'm saying that the smells coming from those people and their clothes linger on.

I'm a non-smoker and certainly would not want to stay in a cabin that reeked of cigarette smell for a 28 day cruise. :eek:.

Is the room steam cleaned? The bed, furniture, and carpet cleaned and sanitized before the next passenger that occupies the cabin?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We certainly always go for inside rooms because of price. However because of Princess' crazy pricing policy we always check all pricing. Last year we got a balcony for much less than an inside room. Sorry OT and don't get me started on their pricing policy.

I realize there is no smoking allowed in any of the cabins but........how do they (Princess) get the cigarette smell out of inside cabin for the next passenger(s)? I'm saying that the smells coming from those people and their clothes linger on.

Is the room steam cleaned? The bed, furniture, and carpet cleaned and sanitized before the next passenger that occupies the cabin?

We are non-smokers and object if we can smell old smoke in a hotel room or cabin. That being said: have never noticed any lingering odor. Don't know if we have been lucky or if the cleaning before we get there removes it.

What I find interesting is that everyone jumped on the smoking/booking question but did not address OP's problem, which is wanting to stay a week longer by booking onboard. I did respond to that but it would be nice to see if all of you agree or disagree.

Insides and OV consistently sell out due to price. It is extremely unlikely you would be able to book a cabin of that type so late in the booking cycle. Smoking has nothing to do with it.

Do you think there are more balcony cabins available 45 days before cruise date now that smoking is not allowed on balconies? What I've noticed is the inside and oceanviews are all sold out with tons of balconies available. Or is it just that as a smoker I always booked balconies and just never noticed the insides and OV as sold out? Now I don't need my balcony and spend much more time out on deck, so an inside is all I need. I was hoping on my next Crown cruise I have an obstructed view and was hoping to maybe get a deal while on board to book for the following week, but all insides and OV are showing as sold out. :rolleyes:

I would say that smoker's (and more recently vaper's resrictions) have some effect on the booking of balconies....perhaps as much as price. We will always choose a balcony ("private sanctuary") over an inside cabin.

Historically, the first cabins to sell out are the highest cost and the lowest; suites and insides. I doubt very much if smoking had much of an impact on that. As for booking the continuing cruise, you could waitlist and hope that some of the currently booked insides and OV's get upgraded and then there is room for you. It's a gamble this close the cruise, but it gets you in line in front of anyone else who is not yet booked.

Edited by cherylandtk

I'm a non-smoker and certainly would not want to stay in a cabin that reeked of cigarette smell for a 28 day cruise. :eek:.

All Princess cabins are no smoking so no worries about smoke smells in the cabins. A fine will be levied if you are caught smoking in your cabin.

I'm a full-time TA (10+ yrs in the business and book 50-75 cruises/month). I have smokers that were booking balconies and now booking inside and oceanview rooms. They don't want to be tempted to smoke on their balconies and face the fines.

I've not had one person tell me they are booking a balcony because they are non-smoking now... although most non-smokers are glad they are non-smoking.

I'm a full-time TA (10+ yrs in the business and book 50-75 cruises/month). I have smokers that were booking balconies and now booking inside and oceanview rooms. They don't want to be tempted to smoke on their balconies and face the fines.

I've not had one person tell me they are booking a balcony because they are non-smoking now... although most non-smokers are glad they are non-smoking.

Hmmm... Sounds like the only reason those people booked balconies was so they could smoke on them and annoy all the other people with balconies. How "thoughtful" of them. I love balcony cabins but can't imagine having paid that much more just to be able to smoke on the balcony.

All Princess cabins are no smoking so no worries about smoke smells in the cabins. A fine will be levied if you are caught smoking in your cabin.

I believe what they were talking about is the smokers who come back to their room after having a cigarette and the odor is in their clothes then they change and toss them on the floor or furniture and the odor is Transfered to them.

I've never smelled lingering smoke in any cruise cabins on any line. Whatever they are doing to clean between passengers, it works great. The only time I smelled smoke was when we had smokers in the cabin next door. It came in under the hallway door and through the balcony door if we opened it.

I've never smelled lingering smoke in any cruise cabins on any line. Whatever they are doing to clean between passengers, it works great. The only time I smelled smoke was when we had smokers in the cabin next door. It came in under the hallway door and through the balcony door if we opened it.

Thanks.

The only reason DW and I cruise Princess (and Celebrity) is the no smoking in cabins and balconies policy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I've followed particular sailings that I have booked and watched how the ship's cabins fill up. Many times, closer to sail date, Princess will try upsales and upgrades for those in inside cabins so they will fill up the balconies and OVs. Then they have a few dozen (or more) inside cabins for quick, last minute sales. Best way to fill up a ship before sailing.

What I find interesting is that everyone jumped on the smoking/booking question but did not address OP's problem, which is wanting to stay a week longer by booking onboard. I did respond to that but it would be nice to see if all of you agree or disagree.

Agree:

*If one waits until on board they risk a sell out, thus a change in their post cruise planning.

*T.A.'s are more likely to have last min. pricing during the last few weeks before the cruise. I believe this is the better approach if you wish to extend your cruise and do a b2b.

*If you you are able to book a cabin directly with Princess on board it will most likely be at the full posted fare.

*One never knows, if you visit the future sales person on board, but personally I have never seen any promos or flyers trying to get passengers to stay on board.