Canadian cruisers!!

I did the same thing on the Allure last week. I was told that $500 is the daily maximum for cash accounts, but it is $3000 for credit card accounts (but they have a 5% fee). Also note that I had no problems getting cash from Guest Services when I changed my account to a credit card account (Day 5 was well).

Good to know about guest services giving cash. I didn't plan mine that well and I guess I took too much money out as I owed a couple hundred at the end of the cruise. It still made it very convenient.:)

I've seen numerous posts about people purchasing OBC at favourable exchange rate.

For the life of me, I'm unable to find that section on the website.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your to late that ship has sailed ......pun intended

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've seen numerous posts about people purchasing OBC at favourable exchange rate.

For the life of me, I'm unable to find that section on the website.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

It was only available by calling C&A or Gifts & Gear. Unfortunately Royal changed the exchange rate in mid January and is now charging more than the bank charges.

Those Nexus applicants that snail mailed your forms how long has the latest turnaround been before interviews etc?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I called at 10 weeks because we had not received anything back. I was told on the phone that they had been approved. This was this past December.

Those Nexus applicants that snail mailed your forms how long has the latest turnaround been before interviews etc?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Well I snail mailed ours on February 22nd but I've heard absolutely nothing back yet... not even that we have conditional approval. The payment was processed through our credit card a week or so after so I'm not sure what to expect. :confused: Their website said to allow 4 - 6 weeks so I think my six weeks is up next week.

Hopefully we'll hearing something back soon. I know some people have posted that they had conditional approval within a few weeks. I'll give it a few more weeks then call and see what's happening if I haven't heard anything back. Good thing we've got no immediate travel plans. :(

Well I snail mailed ours on February 22nd but I've heard absolutely nothing back yet... not even that we have conditional approval. The payment was processed through our credit card a week or so after so I'm not sure what to expect. :confused: Their website said to allow 4 - 6 weeks so I think my six weeks is up next week.

Hopefully we'll hearing something back soon. I know some people have posted that they had conditional approval within a few weeks. I'll give it a few more weeks then call and see what's happening if I haven't heard anything back. Good thing we've got no immediate travel plans. :(

I just called. they received our app on march 15th and the fee went onto our cc on march 17th. I was told we would get a letter in the mail but they are very slow in coming so they looked up the applications and gave me the pass ID numbers so I could make the appointment now. they were very nice about me calling. didn't bat an eye.

if you sent yours in February I would think you could call them now.

so I called the nexus line, as I mentioned in my previous post, and the lady I spoke to was soooo nice. she looked up our numbers with no issues. asked if my husband was home as she needed to give him his own number and once i said husband was home she gave it to me without having to put him on the phone. she asked where we would be going for our appointment then offered to get the phone number for me. she asked if there was anything else at all that she could help us with. a really nice government employee.

the contrast.....I called the lansdown office and a very gruff sounding man answered the phone. I explained that I would like to make appointments for myself and my husband for the nexus and he said 'call back at 2:30, that's when we make appointments'. I said 2:30? he said, yes, we only make appointments between 2:30 and 3. then he hung up. everything he said was in an angry voice. i'm almost afraid now. :eek:

anyone know where you go online to make the appointment?

Edited by tinkertwo

so I called the nexus line, as I mentioned in my previous post, and the lady I spoke to was soooo nice. she looked up our numbers with no issues. asked if my husband was home as she needed to give him his own number and once i said husband was home she gave it to me without having to put him on the phone. she asked where we would be going for our appointment then offered to get the phone number for me. she asked if there was anything else at all that she could help us with. a really nice government employee.

the contrast.....I called the lansdown office and a very gruff sounding man answered the phone. I explained that I would like to make appointments for myself and my husband for the nexus and he said 'call back at 2:30, that's when we make appointments'. I said 2:30? he said, yes, we only make appointments between 2:30 and 3. then he hung up. everything he said was in an angry voice. i'm almost afraid now. :eek:

Thanks so much for all the info. I probably SHOULD call and get the numbers so I can make an appointment too. That's ridiculous only allowing you to make appointments between 2:30 and 3:00 ..

Here's a link that might help you make your appointment online .. (hope CC allows it) http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html

If the link isn't allowed, it's the Canada Border Services Agency website--Home - Travellers - Nexus. This lists all the border cities and you can select whichever and schedule your appointment online. :)

What exchange rate is RCI using now? My bank is offering 1.33 this morning. Was thinking of prepaying grats to avoid increase but thinking I will get hosed by unfavorable exchange rate.

Last I heard it was 1.50.

What exchange rate is RCI using now? My bank is offering 1.33 this morning. Was thinking of prepaying grats to avoid increase but thinking I will get hosed by unfavorable exchange rate.

I just called this morning to add prepaid gratuities to our booked sailings and it worked out to about $1.23 conversion rate. I think ours was about $15.90 CAD per person per day. Keep in mind this is not the same as their rate to purchase OBC which is $1.50 from what has been reported lately.

If I were you, I'd call RCI and ask what your gratuities would be in Canadian and go from there. Some people have said the rate you get depends on when your cruise was booked.

Edited by hancogran

My DW booked out appointments on-line, no gruff employee.:) She was also able to see what locations could see us sooner. Get got in 2 months faster in Fort Erie than Toronto Perason. We also did the eye scan, which is only offered at certain locations.

Thanks so much for all the info. I probably SHOULD call and get the numbers so I can make an appointment too. That's ridiculous only allowing you to make appointments between 2:30 and 3:00 ..

Here's a link that might help you make your appointment online .. (hope CC allows it) http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html

If the link isn't allowed, it's the Canada Border Services Agency website--Home - Travellers - Nexus. This lists all the border cities and you can select whichever and schedule your appointment online. :)

My DW booked out appointments on-line, no gruff employee.:) She was also able to see what locations could see us sooner. Get got in 2 months faster in Fort Erie than Toronto Perason. We also did the eye scan, which is only offered at certain locations.

When I go to the link and hit 'book your appointment online' it takes me to the goes page. do I need to set up and goes account before I can book the appointment? it scares me a little bit because it indicates if I open an account and I already have one it is going to mess things up.

I sent my forms in by mail so not sure if that matters.

That's what I heard too.. Highway robbery!! :eek:

Ya 1.5 is that but Godness knows we all took advantage of that 1.1 rate, some people took out 1000's at 1.1. So question is Royal going to keep this rate until next Jan and I think they might to make it back.

ANd for Nexus.

We did the whole thing online, so we were able to book online. That was the easiest. NEXUS is awesome!

So, its 2:30, time to call and make that appointment right?? Well both lines are ringing through but no one is picking up. They eventually go to voice mail. I left a message but am not convinced I will get a call back. :rolleyes:

I have been looking online to see if I could find out anymore about the online appointment booking but haven't had any success yet .. everything goes to the GOES website. I guess if we had completed the application online, it might have been easier.

Good luck with the phone and hopefully you'll get a call back. Did you try any of the other offices? I'm just curious if this 2:30 - 3:00 business applies to all of them? We plan on going to Fort Erie if we ever get our pre approval letter! :rolleyes:

Edited by hancogran

Ya 1.5 is that but Godness knows we all took advantage of that 1.1 rate, some people took out 1000's at 1.1. So question is Royal going to keep this rate until next Jan and I think they might to make it back.

ANd for Nexus.

We did the whole thing online, so we were able to book online. That was the easiest. NEXUS is awesome!

You very well could be right about them keeping the $1.50 rate for a while, but who's stupid enough to pay that for OBC when the bank is offering $1.33 right now? :confused:

You are going to have a great time at the Lansdown office.:rolleyes: that's where we went and it was bad right from the start. First they asked for my letter. When I explained that I didn't have it but was given the numbers over the phone the one agent started into me saying the office didn't know what they were talking about with the letters being delayed.

It went downhill from there. They gave me a hard time about sending it snail mail to save a few $ on the exchange rate. Even went do far as to tell me they could refuse my application. They said it created more work for them as now they had to manually enter information that would have been done on line.

The only positive thing was we were able to get an appointment within a week and our cards arrived exactly 7 days later.