Is it worth it?

thefirstnoel

We'll be in FLL 3 days before we embark on our cruise. Instead of renting a car to drive to the Keys, I saw an excursion (said it was 17 hours for $100.00 per person) to there on a bus thru one of the companies. (Can't remember if it was thru Celebrity, Cruises Only or private) The reason we don't want to rent a car is that the person driving can't look around as much as the passenger.

Has anyone done this one before? I'm thinking 17 hours is a "typo" as I heard to drive there takes about 3-4 hours one way. Of course they will have the day planned for us. I will call them, but want to know if anybody has done this one and if so, what are your thoughts?

Also want to do an Everglades Water boat (forgot what they're called) excursion. Is that one worth it depending on length of time and price?

Do private companies scare you off booking through them? We've always booked through the ship. Once again, you guys/gals are awesome with always helping me either by answering my or other's questions.

Thanks once again.

We'll be in FLL 3 days before we embark on our cruise. Instead of renting a car to drive to the Keys, I saw an excursion (said it was 17 hours for $100.00 per person) to there on a bus thru one of the companies. (Can't remember if it was thru Celebrity, Cruises Only or private) The reason we don't want to rent a car is that the person driving can't look around as much as the passenger.

Has anyone done this one before? I'm thinking 17 hours is a "typo" as I heard to drive there takes about 3-4 hours one way. Of course they will have the day planned for us. I will call them, but want to know if anybody has done this one and if so, what are your thoughts?

Also want to do an Everglades Water boat (forgot what they're called) excursion. Is that one worth it depending on length of time and price?

Do private companies scare you off booking through them? We've always booked through the ship. Once again, you guys/gals are awesome with always helping me either by answering my or other's questions.

Thanks once again.

I can't comment on this trip...but we try and stay away from ship excursions..why? Private tours tend to be less $$$..less people on them, and a much better tour!! Join your Roll Call here on CC and you will find others have started their own private tour and looking for people to join! These companies realize you need to be back to the ship, and their business depends on good feedback.....Best of luck

The Keys is a long round trip so 17 hours is probably correct with the stops at the tours favorite points and the fact that you may spend quite a bit of time collecting all the folks in Miami before heading south. - Rent the car. The Everglades Airboat rides are fantastic. You are likely to see all type of things that you normally won't ever see in Washington.

The reason we don't want to rent a car is that the person driving can't look around as much as the passenger.

Of course they will have the day planned for us. I will call them, but want to know if anybody has done this one and if so, what are your thoughts?

There isn't all that much to see...for long stretches, it's just water :) If you are going to key west, stay overnight...it's the night life that's exciting....that's why you really want to go.

An Air Boat ride is fun and something you should do once. Then you can decide if you ever want to do it again :)

I agree with posting over on the Florida Departures board.

I also agree with the advice to rent a car. You can go where you want, spend whatever time you want, and return when you want. And if something strikes your fancy along the way, you can stop for it. I can't imagine taking a bus tour from FLL to the Keys if you have the option of driving. As for the driver not seeing as much, as noted above, you'll be driving on a lot of flat stretches with water around you. Rent the car. :)

I just returned from a bike ride from Daytona Beach to Key West (11 days). We camped.

I enjoyed Key West, but personally didn't think the place is worth taking an exhausting 17 hour tour.

The road down the keys has heavy traffic and much of it has speed limits of 45 or 35 MPH. I enjoyed seeing the natural beauty of the keys via bike. Not sure how a bus ride would go.

We enjoyed the Hemingway house, Truman house and strolling around the city.

I will say that $100 is not a bad price for a tour like that. Still, I would go to Key West some other way.

As for renting a car, be aware that parking in the old area of Key West is problematic. Driving down and back would be even more exhausting, although perhaps cheaper.

Edited by 4774Papa
error

Unless you really want to go to Key West there are much better options for the 3 days. Absolutely rent a car. Most people don't realize how big Florida is and we don't have great public transportation. You can see a lot in your time. Drive down to Miami and spend the afternoon/night on South Beach. Drive Alligator Alley west to Naples and see the Gulf, which is very different from the Atlantic side. Drive to Key Largo which is the closest to Miami and spend the night. You can get a real Florida Keys experience without driving all the way to Key West. It's a long haul on a 2 lane highway to Key West and then back to FLL and depending on construction, time of year, and day of the week it can be very congested. You would spend your time staring at the bumper of an RV or boat trailer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Also I meant to add that airboat rides are awesome and available both Atlantic side and Gulf side so just do a search and find one that fits your time frame. Under no circumstances would I recommend a bus tour to Key West. There are too many places along the road that you might want to stop and check out. So that the driver can see the most rent a convertible!! :)You should be able get one here with no problem.

Edited by knbcruisers

Wow! I didn't expect to get so much GREAT advice about us taking a tour bus to the Florida Keys. The reasons everyone gave and suggestions made for other things to do helped a lot.

We will not take the bus. Everything said, common sense just kicked in!

Thank you all! Great Advice.

There isn't all that much to see...for long stretches, it's just water :) If you are going to key west, stay overnight...it's the night life that's exciting....that's why you really want to go.

An Air Boat ride is fun and something you should do once. Then you can decide if you ever want to do it again :)

I would like a cruise that docked one or two nights there especially during the Fantasy Fest.

Every cruise leaves before sunset and The Mallory Square Sunset Celebration is really an enjoyable and entertaining experience.

The drive to Key West is slow and can be slower because one gawker can really cause a traffic jam, and it is also rather boring.

Key West is a really fun place that consists of many bars and resturants plus a few tourists traps that everyone thinks are must sees. Spending a night or two is the best way to experience it. Parking is a problem when staying at any hotel in town. Once you park your car you don't want to move it. Not a problem as eveyhting is in walking distance if you can walk and like to. I think they have a trolley tour and it may also be a hop on and hop off. Didn't really look into it as we like to walk.

Do a google earth and look at the road and also look at Key West. The main road in Key West is Duvel where most action is.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

We did the Sawgrass Everglades tour as a roll call group pre- cruise, we finished it off at Bimini Boathouse for dinner.

Here is the link for the tour http://evergladestours.com

We really enjoyed the unique ride in an air boat, the flat water and grass vista is quite surreal, and the wildlife is amazing, especially the birds.

Well worth doing.

Cheers, h.

I just recently rented a car and drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key West for a couple of days. Had a really good time, but after doing it I understand why people say that everyone should make the drive at least once in their lifetime. In my opinion that's enough. No problem going back to Key West by cruise or maybe air, just no desire to drive it again.

Can't imagine what it was like in the olden days.

Not exactly answering your question...but there are many neat things to do right in Ft. Lauderdale. Boat trips to see the beautiful homes, Las Olas Blvd. with shops and restaurants. Museums, side trip on an airboat in the Everglades. Boat trip to South Beach...to mention just a few. You would need a car for some .

I just recently rented a car and drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key West for a couple of days. Had a really good time, but after doing it I understand why people say that everyone should make the drive at least once in their lifetime. In my opinion that's enough. No problem going back to Key West by cruise or maybe air, just no desire to drive it again.

Can't imagine what it was like in the olden days.

I do this drive almost weekly and I can say a couple of things... First of all, rent the car. Too many choices of where to stop to be stuck on a bus. Stay overnight in Key West (many places do have parking or can direct you to public parking). Lastly, ENJOY the drive. It is one of the most beautiful drives anywhere, and yes, an accident can cause delays, or slow moving traffic can cause delays, but it is absolutely worth it and not something to stress over.

Don't forget to leave yourself ample time (a couple hours more than you think you need) to get back, just in case!

(Much more on Key West life in my blog... http://floridakeysgirl.com )

John Pennekamp State Park is an excellent place to go. This is in Key Largo where there are lots of motels/hotels to choose from. We camped here last June for 8 days. There are several types of boat tours from here like snorkeling or a large glass bottom tour boat. You can also rent your own boat for the day or half day along with scuba or snorkel gear. It's a 20 minute ride to the reef or cross over to the Gulf side and cruise along looking at all the waterfront homes.

Edited by knbcruisers

Thanks once again.

thefirstnoel -

You have received a number of comments from many people already and maybe you have determined what you need/want to do with your time. I recently drove from Fort Lauderdale to Key West after returning from a 16 day Transatlantic cruise.

My travel plans (post-cruise) were to spend 5 days in Key West prior to heading on to Georgia to see family at Thanksgiving. I chose to rent a car just outside the port and do the drive because I had never been through the Keys. If you have never been and you want to experience it, I would say it is fun, but it can be a long drive. For me, it was 4 hours of driving during a rain storm and that did not include time to stop for lunch or bathroom pit stop. The reason the drive is so slow is due to the 140+ miles being mostly a single lane road (each direction). Also, speed limits are reduced in populated areas and are severely enforced.

While I was in Key West, I never used the rental car (much). From my location, I either walked or used a bicycle since my guesthouse was in close proximity to the main drag (Duval street). Not sure if a bicycle is sufficient for staying further away.

Key West is not easy to do as a day trip as the drive is about 3-4 hours (each way). Now that I have done the drive, it isn't something I feel I need to repeat. In fact, even if someone else is doing the driving, I am not sure I would want to go with that mode of transport. I would be happy with finding an airline that has connecting flights from a major hub.

I have spent enough time in Fort Lauderdale to know that you can find plenty to do there for 3 days. I'd recommend saving the money on the rental car (and hassle of the drive) and explore locally. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your cruise!