Where have all the cocktail servers gone?

It seems that with the proliferation of the beverage packages the cruise lines have severely cut back in the number of staff used onboard as cocktail servers. Years ago you couldn't catch a tan by the pool because of the staff walking up and down aisles, in between chairs, asking "Drinks? Drinks?". Now since probably 60%-70% of those onboard have some kind of drink package they have all but disappeared. I'm sure the hope is that by making you walk to a bar to order you're going to do it less often then someone serving you at your chair. I'm sure RCI has done it's research and it works.

I agree with you. However, I must say my recent Brilliance sailings had staff around by the pool getting drinks. I think I may have seen 3 or 4 at one time. I never had to get up. I was very happy with their service.

Our last cruise on the Freedom, our assistant server ended up getting us drinks because our bar guy was nowhere to be found. It was disappointing, because the year before, our bar guy was awesome.

It does seem like they are cutting back on the service in a great many ways.

I agree, seems like fewer servers everywhere onboard the past couple years. Including at Windjammer. Used to be they were always around there asking if you need anything, last couple cruises there were far fewer servers and also fewer people cleaning the tables......:rolleyes:

I agree, seems like fewer servers everywhere onboard the past couple years. Including at Windjammer. Used to be they were always around there asking if you need anything, last couple cruises there were far fewer servers and also fewer people cleaning the tables......:rolleyes:

Lunch at the Windjammer aboard the Liberty was less than desirable on my 5 night cruise, less than mediocre, so perhaps a blessing in disguise if people start going to the MDR.

Our last cruise on the Freedom, our assistant server ended up getting us drinks because our bar guy was nowhere to be found. It was disappointing, because the year before, our bar guy was awesome.

It does seem like they are cutting back on the service in a great many ways.

We had the same issue on Explorer in October. The first night in the MDR our waiter told us that the bar server would be around to take our drink order... he showed up --- on night 5 (our last night) - good thing that we didn't wait for him to place an order. Our Assistant Waiter made sure that we got our drinks in the dining room every night when we were there and he even made sure that DH always had another drink before he finished the first. We tipped him nicely for taking such good care of us. However, when the bar server did show up on the last night and we advised him that we had our drinks already (which were obviously already on the table), he was quick to tell us his name and to remember him when we filled out our post-cruise survey. :confused:

Edited by SnappyNappi

We had the same issue on Explorer in October. The first night in the MDR our waiter told us that the bar server would be around to take our drink order... he showed up --- on night 5 (our last night) - good thing that we didn't wait for him to place an order. Our Assistant Waiter made sure that we got our drinks in the dining room every night when we were there and he even made sure that DH always had another drink before he finished the first. We tipped him nicely for taking such good care of us. However, when the bar server did show up on the last night and we advised him that we had our drinks already (which were obviously already on the table), he was quick to tell us his name and to remember him when we filled out our post-cruise survey. :confused:

I can't imagine why he would think you're remembering him on the survey would be a good thing.

I pointed this out back in 2013 on Indy.

I remember in my review saying... never have I had such a hard time getting a drink on a cruise ship in my life.

The ship was busy it was spring break. I felt like I was in a night club. Huge crowds around the bar and you wait forever.

I kept saying what happened to all the people walking around begging you to buy drinks as usual.

I was hoping it would be different this time around. I haven't bought my drink pkg yet, maybe I shouldn't.....

As well as the 'apparent' fewer servers, has anyone noticed a lack of prices on the drinks menu's?

With the exception of Bolero's, all the menu's on Allure were geared to the drinks packages with no prices at all.

Edited by icsys

My challenge was a little different on my last couple of cruises. There were enough bar servers on the pool deck, but the problem was that by the time they came back I was half-asleep or wasn't thirsty anymore...

Service much too slow.

On the serenade last week I had to get up to get my own drink probably 90% of the time. They just weren't serving the pool area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hate hearing this, i'm on her soon and was really hoping for a different experience.

Any other service related issues?

Noticed that on the Oasis last May as well for the first time I had to get up and walk to a bar and get a drink while I was laying in the sun by the pool. But after mid week I started to notice more of them walking around. But I dont have a drink package.

It seems that with the proliferation of the beverage packages the cruise lines have severely cut back in the number of staff used onboard as cocktail servers. Years ago you couldn't catch a tan by the pool because of the staff walking up and down aisles, in between chairs, asking "Drinks? Drinks?". Now since probably 60%-70% of those onboard have some kind of drink package they have all but disappeared. I'm sure the hope is that by making you walk to a bar to order you're going to do it less often then someone serving you at your chair. I'm sure RCI has done it's research and it works.

It is a bit of a problem. We were in Schooner on night and it was very crowded and understaffed. I wonder if it isn't partly (or mostly) because they now have so many ships that they can't find enough employees to work them all?

The funny thing is that in the past many would complain about being asked over and over by numerous waiters by the pool if they wanted a drink. Now we are complaining about the lack of waiters. You would think there would be a happy medium.

By the way, I don't do the drink package, so if I can't get a drink, they are losing money. I wonder what percent on each ship buy drink packages. If it's 50% then they are losing a whole lot from the other 50% by not serving efficiently.

last year, was my first cruise on RCI and I found it very difficult to get a drink when I was at dinner. the drink service was pretty slow. It got to the point that I would go to a bar on my way to dinner and grab myself a drink in order to avoid having to wait for the drink server to come by my table. I think I was on a 9 night cruise and I might have saw my assigned drink server twice. To be fair I was the only one at my table of 8 even ordering drinks. So I can imagine the drink server assigned to my table had other tables to serve that were much more active and plentiful in their orders. But at least I know it wasn't just me thinking the drink service was slow.

We had 11 people on the Brilliance 4 day cruise and disembarked yesterday. The pool bars, Schooner Bar, R bar, etc were packed. I know a 4 day is a booze cruise, but it was ridiculous. With much less service at the pool, or at the tables in the bar, everyone was at the bar to order. The bars seemed very understaffed as well.

As a pervious poster said, maybe the drink package had something to do with it. I haven't cruised since May 2014 and I didn't pay much attention to service related complaints about cutbacks recently, but I have to say, as an experienced cruiser, it was more than noticeable on this cruise.

During the quest, which was packed, Royal lost a lot of revenue with two servers in the entire place. Even if 50% had the drinks package, they still lost money. Even the people with us that cruise infrequently commented on the lack of service. We still had fun, but jeez!