Cruising alone

Mytravellove

Is there any cruise line that offers reasonable prices for traveling solo? I'm married but my hubby doesn't like cruising. He has done a few cruises with me but I can't put him through the motion sickness he goes through. So I need to cruise solo and don't mind doing so, but at reasonable prices. Any suggestions?

On some of the NCL ships there are solo cabins. From what people have said they are smaller than a double occupancy, but with no single supplement. Other than that, you could talk to a TA, they may know of sales with reduced supplements.

I assume you have raised the idea with girl friends. Maybe one would like to go with you

Is there any cruise line that offers reasonable prices for traveling solo? I'm married but my hubby doesn't like cruising. He has done a few cruises with me but I can't put him through the motion sickness he goes through. So I need to cruise solo and don't mind doing so, but at reasonable prices. Any suggestions?

I travel solo also. NCL has some cabins priced for single travelers. Carnival has some cabins which have bunk bed and were priced at only 150% (as opposed to 200%) for single travelers. I don't know if that offer is still available. Royal Caribbean will reduce its single supplement from 200% to 150% after you earn 340 points (about 50 one week cruises). A lot of the luxury lines offer single supplements in the 110% to 150% range. However, those prices are high to begin with.

Royal Caribbean pretty regularly offers reduced single supplements on different sailings. Get a good TA to help find these and see if one fits. Quantum of the Seas has great solo rooms among the many different categories available, too.

That said, I've cruised solo several times and really enjoyed it. Everyone is pretty friendly on a ship and you'll have no problem striking up a conversation. It's NICE to make decisions on what to do for ONLY myself while vacationing!

Motion sickness in its worst form as an inner ear problem, is taken care of by the Patch. Available by perscription in States and over counter and online in Canada. My friend has the severe kind and can sail through anything with patch.He orders it online from Canada with no problems.We live in States.

Motion sickness in its worst form as an inner ear problem, is taken care of by the Patch. Available by perscription in States and over counter and online in Canada. My friend has the severe kind and can sail through anything with patch.He orders it online from Canada with no problems.We live in States.

How did we make the jump from solo traveling to motion sickness? :confused:

Only you can define reasonable. What I or someone else might consider "reasonable" you might consider "outrageous".

With that, most of the major cruise lines and many of the lesser-known ones offer reduced single taxes occasionally. And some have low prices all the time. The single best thread for really good rates for single occupancy cabins is this one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324&page=18 . Solo cruisers have their own sub-board here, which may have some relevant items: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

We have had single friends join us on RCCL which sometimes has really good rates and they have a age 55 discount. Look at the slightly older ships since they will have better rates than the brand new ones. Entertainment on RCCL is excellent, we have met many single cruisers over the years joining us in trivia etc.

on some of the RCCL ships there are solo cabins as well. Most lines charge you 1 1/2 to travel solo but with RCCl you do get 2x sea days.

You need to stop thinking of the "per person" pricing...and realize that a cabin COSTS what 2 would pay! Kinda like hotels...same price for UP TO 2 people!

THIS

pick price you are happy paying and go from there.

anything under 200% is a deal. keep in mind that some lines offer you double credit in their loyalty programs if you sail as a single/

I find it helpful to choose fixed dining with an assigned large table. That way I have table mates for conversation and don't have to look for dining companions for every meal. (Unless you like dining alone.)

Some of the Cruise Search engines have a "SOLO" option as one of their search criteria, not always single cabins but sometimes when single supplement has been substantially reduced.

Fixed dining at a large table is good as you meet a few contacts, sometimes they pal up in smaller groups sometimes people go different ways after dinner. It does keep a continuity through the cruise and the others always have tips to share about the cruise.

Bon Voyage John