And What Part of "NO" don't you undertand - CB 2/26 saling

MrsFops&FopsC5

Live from 2/26 sailing. Don't get me wrong the first 1 day and half have been wonderful. We have a great steward (GEMMA) on Dolphin who is attentive, Dexter who is in Palm Dining Room who is Asst Waiter...but everything else is "NO". I asked (mine you I "elite") for a couple of items off menu and was told the chef would not prepare. Really...I have friends that are Executive Chef's that not only have worked on cruise ships but also hold several professional designations that love the opportunity to get outside the normal "realm". How difficult is it to slice up a couple pieces of salami and hard parm and make some risotto...Really. I was told by the head waiter the chef would not make it. The menu itself tonite was not to my tastes, and furthermore no pasta was on the menu, thus I sat and drank wine for dinner. Had a bit of desert and a cup of coffee. Really Princess... is this the way you want to treat people who have "black" cards, not only us but people who you wish to entice to become future "black" card holders.

Mind you, this is not the entire staff, most have been really enjoyable but the few "rotten eggs" have made the first day and half not really wanting me to continue my loyalty to this cruiseline. I have talked to a few "in transit" passengers and have heard the same comments.

Princess, are you listening??

Your 'elitism' aside, it's always been said here that it's at the head chef's discretion in making off-menu items. There are factors involved other than your 'black card', which I'm sure you're not waiving around in the dining room. Or are you?

:cool:

Isn't there pasta on every menu? The always-available Fettucini Alfredo plus one other choice? Are there new menus on your cruise that are varying from that long-time format? If so, I'm sure we'd all appreciate further details, as that's a major change.

As for the chef not making risotto, while I'm sure he would indeed enjoy some scope for creativity, it's hard to imagine a chef on a mass-market ship having the time or logistical space to make completely different dishes on order for passengers. You're just one of 3000, after all. Imagine if everyone asked for a special order . . .

I'm sorry you felt that wine and dessert were the only edible things in the dining room for one meal, but the ship is full of food. No doubt you'll find something to eat somewhere. Perhaps you could devote the time to sampling the IC and buffet offerings that you are currently devoting to sampling negativity among other passengers.

Live from 2/26 sailing. Don't get me wrong the first 1 day and half have been wonderful. We have a great steward (GEMMA) on Dolphin who is attentive, Dexter who is in Palm Dining Room who is Asst Waiter...but everything else is "NO". I asked (mine you I "elite") for a couple of items off menu and was told the chef would not prepare. Really...I have friends that are Executive Chef's that not only have worked on cruise ships but also hold several professional designations that love the opportunity to get outside the normal "realm". How difficult is it to slice up a couple pieces of salami and hard parm and make some risotto...Really. I was told by the head waiter the chef would not make it. The menu itself tonite was not to my tastes, and furthermore no pasta was on the menu, thus I sat and drank wine for dinner. Had a bit of desert and a cup of coffee. Really Princess... is this the way you want to treat people who have "black" cards, not only us but people who you wish to entice to become future "black" card holders.

Mind you, this is not the entire staff, most have been really enjoyable but the few "rotten eggs" have made the first day and half not really wanting me to continue my loyalty to this cruiseline. I have talked to a few "in transit" passengers and have heard the same comments.

I am sorry to hear you had a bad cruise. I know you are loyal to the brand and I am sure princess appreciates your business. However I understand your request is very simple however if they do it for you they would have to do it for everyone. I think you would agree after thinking about it a bit further if they had 50 people a night asking for something special you might not have gotten that wine until later.

I'll bet most of the staff you've encountered consider you a "rotten egg" passenger.

And it is a big deal for the chef to prepare risotto when it's not on the menu and they are preparing dinner for thousands of other passengers. That is not like asking for a salad. Risotto is best done in small batches by adding half cupfulls of stock while constantly stirring.

Your attitude is appaling.

There is a huge difference between asking for something way off menu at the meal or arranging something in advance. Based on your account, your request was not reasonable unless there was another risotto based dish on the menu for that meal.

How difficult is it to slice up a couple pieces of salami and hard parm and make some risotto...Really. I was told by the head waiter the chef would not make it. The menu itself tonite was not to my tastes, and furthermore no pasta was on the menu, thus I sat and drank wine for dinner. Had a bit of desert and a cup of coffee. Really Princess... is this the way you want to treat people who have "black" cards, not only us but people who you wish to entice to become future "black" card holders.

How difficult is it to make risotto? Well, since you asked, to do so properly requires about 45 minutes of cooking, including pretty constant stirring. All for one person? Really? And, has already been pointed out, dinner menus always include two pasta dishes. Maybe you were hitting the wine a bit early?

I just got off a 10-day sailing on the Star with my precious black card, but, oddly, not once did my Exalted Status lead me to believe or behave as though the sun rose and set upon my behind. I did speak with a friend on the staff about passengers, difficult and otherwise, though, and when it comes to "rotten eggs," if the shoe fitteth...

Edited by shepp

Folks please be nice to the OP. After all Princess has designated him as an ELITE and he is just acting as Princess has labelled him. The OP is just showing he understands what elite means to him and several others. Be kind to him.

There is nothing wrong with requesting a favorite, for example, as long as you ask for something reasonable and give a reasonable time to prepare.

As an example, I LOVE prawns and hate lobster. When we did traditional one cruise, I asked the night BEFORE formal night if it would be possible to swap prawns for the planned lobster and it was no problem. That said, cooking prawns is relatively easy and I gave them a day. I've done the same for UBD...

You can always ask to review a future menu and if there is nothing for you, its ok to ask for something. That said if the chef doesn't have the staff or ingredients, no means no and you take it with grace.

I have never even considered ordering off-menu items. That's like going to Mc Donalds and ordering the filet mignon or surf & turf. If they had it it would be on the menu!

I agree with responses to the op and actually thought the post was a joke. It is not difficult to make risotto but it is time consuming and requires attention. No pasta on the menu? Hmmm...fettuccine Alfredo is always available and it's definitely pasta!

There is nothing wrong with requesting a favorite, for example, as long as you ask for something reasonable and give a reasonable time to prepare.

As an example, I LOVE prawns and hate lobster. When we did traditional one cruise, I asked the night BEFORE formal night if it would be possible to swap prawns for the planned lobster and it was no problem. That said, cooking prawns is relatively easy and I gave them a day. I've done the same for UBD...

You can always ask to review a future menu and if there is nothing for you, its ok to ask for something. That said if the chef doesn't have the staff or ingredients, no means no and you take it with grace.

Well that's entirely different. An item substitution with 24 hour notice, and a simple substitution at that, is MUCH different than asking for some random dish to be cooked immediately.

I have been at the table several times on different cruise lines when someone has asked for a specific dish, for our whole table to sample, later in the cruise. Almost always an ethnic specialty of the chef's nationality. The wait staff and maitre d', have always served it with great pride. and we enjoyed it tremendously. Had the response been no, hopefully we would have been as gracious as we were on receiving the yes.

The worst passengers on a cruise have got to be the "entitled" ones, and not necessarily elites, either.

keep in mind ......black cards entitle us to free laundry .....not free reign ordering in the dining room.

I am sure they do not have anyone in the kitchen standing around waiting for all the risotto orders on a non risotto night. :)

Edited by JLC@SD

As an example, I LOVE prawns and hate lobster. When we did traditional one cruise, I asked the night BEFORE formal night if it would be possible to swap prawns for the planned lobster and it was no problem. That said, cooking prawns is relatively easy and I gave them a day.

The last sentence says it all. You know that prawns are on board. They always are. And they cook in mere minutes. Do we know that the MDR has Arborio or Carnaroli rice on hand for making risotto? And it is a small batch dish that requires individual attention to prepare well (or par-cooking if done en masse). One does not just whip up a fine risotto. Someone who is Elite should have a better appreciation for how a galley differs from a home kitchen or a small restaurant kitchen. I could see Sabatini's preparing a risotto. But not the huge galley of the MDR.

I find it really odd that someone would come here to brag about their status and then complain about having a special request shot down.

Just off the Crown and was able to get grilled scallops on request. I did ask a day before and there were scallop appetizers on the menu so there was no problem substituting scallops in a fish dish.

It never hurts to ask, but be reasonable and give some notice.

It is easy to order off menu, the only night it is impossible is the first night because requests need to be made a day in advance. We order off menu all the time, Princess does an excellent job. Talk to your Head Waiter. We eat plain fish, no seafood and special order whatever fish is available on board. When we go to the MDR on the first night we talk to our HW and work it out.

I really thought this was a joke/troll post, but it looks like it's not. Interesting. I've asked for a grilled chicken breast and Caesar salad (both always available) to be combined into a main dish. I think the OP is not aware of what it takes to make risotto. Maybe you could go to Sabatini's and ask ahead if they can make it for you. We requested polenta at Sabatini's and were told it would take a half hour. We accepted the offer and were pleased with what they provided. If they had said no, we'd have accepted that and moved on.

This must be a joke.

Please tell me it's a joke.

As for the title there is obviously one person who doesn't understand NO.

But just in case it's not my wife has often asked for an off menu item due to dietary requirements, most of the time these are pretty simple and no problems, sometimes it's not possible to do what she asked for but they pretty quickly sort something out for her.

We ask the Maitre'd and/or our waiter would he like the days notice usually once she has told them the issues they say no we'll work something out each night.

By the same token if they couldn't get her something [never happened] we'd go have a look at the buffet or if they had nothing order some room service, or my goodness even skip a meal if we had to after all we are probably starving to death as there is so little food available on a cruise.