Eclipse - Gastropub ?

upwarduk

We are on the Eclipse at the moment and spoke to the hotel director this evening. The Gastropub is not happening.

The have moved future cruises up to the conference centre on deck 14 and captains club is on deck 7.

Gordon

Thanks for the update.

What are they doing on 5?

Future Cruise Sales has moved temporarily from deck 5 offices to one of the Sky Conference rooms on deck 14, until the dry dock when they will move again to a permanent new home in the party room next to Quasar.

For the time being, the former office on deck 5 is being used for storage of materials needed for the upcoming dry dock, since it is conveniently located to a doorway to the open deck.

On Millennium class ships, the Suite dining room will be on deck 5. On Solstice class ships it will be on deck 4

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Anyone know why they appear to be putting the Suite Dining on the Upper Floor of the MDR, isn't it being put on the lower floor of the MDR on other ships?

Just off the Eclipse Sunday. The Asst Maitre D told us the suite restaurant would be at the front of the lower floor of the MDR.

Just a reminder to everyone that Celebrity's rumor mill on board even among those supposedly in the know has always, always been horrible. Reading this thread just reminds me of that and I am not criticizing anyone who posted as they are getting info from those on board.

Besides the Gastropub which is not happening, since you are currently on the

Eclipse, can you possibly find out if they still plan to complete the suite dining

room called Luminae while in dry dock in April? Much appreciated!

It was announced in another thread by the Celebrity Cruises representative that SDR is not being added in drydock, instead it's being done while at sea prior to drydock, as with all other ships.

All ships must have SDR in order to offer the perks of the program come April.

Just a reminder to everyone that Celebrity's rumor mill on board even among those supposedly in the know has always, always been horrible. Reading this thread just reminds me of that and I am not criticizing anyone who posted as they are getting info from those on board.

LOL, I know...

Best recent rumor was that SDR was being put in Cellar Masters, on equinox, and this rumor was put out a week before they started the work in the MDR area. A week prior, you'd assume staff would have good, accurate information, let alone that it was announced eons ago that it was not taking Cellar of Bistro, but part of MDR.

Crew are the best gossips out there. Even better than most of us. :D

So where is the craft beer going?

It already exists in Cellarmasters.

My Sillie sailing had 69 varieties on offer in November in Cellarmasters, and my Summit sailing had a similar number available in January.

The Sommolier's in Cellarmasters are often less than enthusiastic to tout the beers however, you may need to ask for the list. I found this especially true on Summit in August.

Of course availability varies cruise to cruise based on stocking and replenishment.

It was announced in another thread by the Celebrity Cruises representative that SDR is not being added in drydock, instead it's being done while at sea prior to drydock, as with all other ships.

The Celebrity rep said it would begin on the cruise before the drydock and continue into the drydock, I asked if it was expected to be completed by the time of the TA, right after drydock and he has never answered that question. Guess we will find out next month!!:)

My Sillie sailing had 69 varieties on offer in November in Cellarmasters, and my Summit sailing had a similar number available in January.

The Sommolier's in Cellarmasters are often less than enthusiastic to tout the beers however, you may need to ask for the list. I found this especially true on Summit in August.

Of course availability varies cruise to cruise based on stocking and replenishment.

That is not on the Eclipse. Never has been

What was interesting in January is that there was an expanded beer menu in the Eclipse's Cellarmasters, but they did not actually have the beers in stock. Perhaps they will add them soon.

I believe that the decision has been recently made. The Gastropub is on hold for now. This was relayed by staff in Guest Relations, Future Cruise Sales, and others who had been attending on-board briefings in preparation for the dry dock.

I can tell you that on Equinox in January, our table at dinner was close to the entrance to the MDR. Gastrobar staff would pass by carrying food from the MDR kitchen to the Gastrobar. We only saw food on its way to Gastrobar four times in ten days. I'm guessing that the expensive food options have not been popular enough to warrant the remodeling.

Hi Cruisestitch,

That's very interesting news. I thought that Gastrobar was going to happen on Eclipse - at least that's what I was told a few months ago, but it seems to have changed. Based on what I witnessed on Equinox a few weeks ago, and, assuming that it's not happening on Eclipse, I think Celebrity made a very wise choice in delaying the change. I also suggested this on here, and to Celebrity, in my post cruise survey.

FWIW, I had the same observations as you Cruisestitch. While the bar was doing relatively well, I rarely saw anyone order food throughout the entire 10 night sailing - and that includes Super Bowl Sunday, which was the dealbreaker for me. I noticed food on the tables only a handful of times throughout the cruise, and I passed by Gastrobar many many times. The consensus was, that the food was very good - but also that folks simply didnt want to pay the price, as many items were in the 8-10 dollar range, and I believe at least 1 item was 12 dollars. Perhaps this could work if the menu items were a few dollars lower, or if they changed up some of the menu items, to afford a lower price point.

IMO, there's no reason why Celebrity cant do a mimimal remodel of Cellar Masters, to add all the new beers and drinks featured on Equinox, while deferring the food items, at least until they have further data on sales from Equinox.

It would be great if the Celebrity rep can confirm this. Thanks very much !

Edited by Host Andy

Interesting. This wasnt the case on Eclipse a few months ago. I suppose they have not made this change to every ship yet - but they should.... especially if Gastrobar may not be moving forward, at least on Eclipse.

The consensus was, that the food was very good - but also that folks simply didnt want to pay the price, as many items were in the 8-10 dollar range, and I believe at least 1 item was 12 dollars. Perhaps this could work if the menu items were a few dollars lower, or if they changed up some of the menu items, to afford a lower price point.

I felt the same way when I was on Equinox. Loved the drinks (we go to know Santos the main bartender there very well by the end of the 11 nights!!

One issue is they never seemed to publicize it in the dailies. While they would tout the drink of the day at the main bars, never did they promote the daily beer special at GastroBar - and that changed daily. We tried a couple of items one day: The flat bread and pork buns. Both very good and not something I found offered elsewhere on the ship. I wondered why they didn't have some kind of happy hour where some items were discounted.

The Celebrity representative also said the opposite that it would be done during dry dock when I asked. So who knows. I haven't read of any construction going on at the moment on Eclipse. Plus it would make sense to wait until dry dock to do the construction as they wouldn't have to work around passengers. The SDR would then be ready for use for the TA on April 21st.

Besides the Gastropub which is not happening, since you are currently on the

Eclipse, can you possibly find out if they still plan to complete the suite dining

room called Luminae while in dry dock in April? Much appreciated!

We're just off a B2B on the Equinox and then the Eclipse.

(I promise to do a full review soon, Wallie! ;) )

I was also told that the conversion to Gastrobar on the Eclipse has been re-thought and scrapped. From what I observed on the Equinox this is a wise decision. The room, no matter the name, was mostly empty on both ships.

On a couple of evenings (Equinox) the CD attempted to have the guitar player in there but because of the openness, all of the other things going on in the area (like the Miami DJ in the foyer :eek: ) no one could hear him.

As far as Luminae on the Eclipse, yes, it will be put in during the dry dock. Our WONDERFUL dining room manager from Blu, Anita, told us that she will be the Maitre D' in there when it opens. Our loss but suite's gain!

The Celebrity representative also said the opposite that it would be done during dry dock when I asked. So who knows. I haven't read of any construction going on at the moment on Eclipse. Plus it would make sense to wait until dry dock to do the construction as they wouldn't have to work around passengers. The SDR would then be ready for use for the TA on April 21st.

The X representative has said it will begin before the drydock and continue into the drydock. When I asked if it would be complete at end of drydock the X rep has yet to respond.....

The X representative has said it will begin before the drydock and continue into the drydock. When I asked if it would be complete at end of drydock the X rep has yet to respond.....

I got a different response from the Celebrity Rep:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45512529#post45512529 (Post 85):

"Construction will start during its dry dock, but will not be complete at that time. We expect construction to continue during the sailing immediately after the dry dock."

I guess I'll find out when I board her on March 29th.

I got a different response from the Celebrity Rep:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45512529#post45512529 (Post 85):

"Construction will start during its dry dock, but will not be complete at that time. We expect construction to continue during the sailing immediately after the dry dock."

I guess I'll find out when I board her on March 29th.

Thanks for that......guess suite guests on the TA will wind up with the Spec Dining option that others have received......I'm good either way....will most likely eat in Blu as often as can anyway....:)

Why doesn't someone from Celebrity, who monitor these boards, step in and state for definite that the gastritis pub - or whatever it's called - is a no-go on Eclipse this summer?

This is despite me reading on their website last week that I could look forward to this addition on our June cruise.

From reports on here, "from the horse's mouth", I guess it's cancelled.

I miss Michael's Club as a piano bar, and in its later incarnation as a world-wide temple to beer.

And the last time we were on Eclipse, Cellarmasters was dead, none of the Oenomatic machines were working and had not done so for months, according to inside information.......