Fresh squeezed juice is alive and well

jjmock

Anyone who frequents these boards knows that not long ago, there was a long long discussion here about the status (or lack thereof) of fresh squeezed OJ on board Celebrity ships. I am happy to report that my wife s currently on Silhouette, and she reports that fresh squeezed OJ is indeed alive and well and on Celebrity Silhouette.

I prefer juice from "concentrate"...tastes better and is more uniform in flavor! And, no 'pits" or "pulp"! It's what I drink at home...it's what most folks drink at home!

Edited by cb at sea

Fresh OJ has been on every Celebrity cruise I have ever been on.

Remember that "OJ " thread a bit back....

There once was another where one poster swore that all the scrambled eggs and omelettes in Blu were made from powdered eggs. :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That one took the cake (which I sure someone will claim is made of cardboard.:D )

dried_egg.original.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

It was only a big thing because people in Aqua wanted what they paid for. When pricing Aqua it was listed as a perk for paying the extra money to stay in Aqua class cabin and eating in BLU.

Case closed.....

Where did she get it? On Reflection in February at the Cafe al Bacio in the Oceanview it was not fresh squeezed.

It's not free, though covered by the drink package. You have to specifically ask for "fresh squeezed". At least that's how it's always worked for us.

OH! FWIW the picture of OJ in the picture at Elite Breakfast is clearly fresh squeezed when we've gone.... it always needs a stir because all the bits settle to the bottom.

As I recall I saw a machine a bit like one of these on a ship tour once.... Galley I guess?

yanrong-17090090.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Where did she get it? On Reflection in February at the Cafe al Bacio in the Oceanview it was not fresh squeezed.

Reflection is the only S class I haven't sailed on

Every other the cafe al Bacio is a separate place from the Oceanview

Don't understand

Edited by true45

Could I ask how you KNOW it was fresh-squeezed? I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult at all, but I have some very specific wording in the beverage packages FAQ about the juice being frozen fresh-squeezed or something to that effect. I'd like to update it to be 100% accurate, but before I do that I would like a little bit more information about how the OP knew that his wife's juice was "fresh" as opposed to "fresh frozen" :)

Personally, juice is juice and it's delicious. I'm just happy to have a glass no matter where it came from :cool:

Reflection is the only S class I haven't sailed on

Every other the cafe al Bacio is a separate place from the Oceanview

Don't understand

There are two Cafe al Bacio locations on some of the S-Class ships -- although it's possible this is only true for Reflection. There's the main location on the fifth floor, and then a smaller secondary location in the Oceanview Cafe :)

Edited by ailetoile

This did not happen on Celebrity. I got violently sick from drinking fresh squeezed oj. Unless the oranges are cleaned before squeezing, you may get very sick. The oj machine must be very clean. Bacteria from the dirty skin can get into the oj. I do not use fresh squeezed oj. Melons are also a source of bacteria. If the outside is not clean, the knife that cuts it spreads bacteria onto the melon. Be careful. Wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly.

This did not happen on Celebrity. I got violently sick from drinking fresh squeezed oj. Unless the oranges are cleaned before squeezing, you may get very sick. The oj machine must be very clean. Bacteria from the dirty skin can get into the oj. I do not use fresh squeezed oj. Melons are also a source of bacteria. If the outside is not clean, the knife that cuts it spreads bacteria onto the melon. Be careful. Wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly.

And the same is true of any food preparation. You got sick because somebody didn't do their job, not because the end product isn't good.

In any case, be nice if the Celebrity person who chirps in here now and then can do so.

And the same is true of any food preparation. You got sick because somebody didn't do their job, not because the end product isn't good.

In any case, be nice if the Celebrity person who chirps in here now and then can do so.

The celebrity rep did chirp in on the OJ thread and said that they are now using prepackaged, fresh frozen juice in order to maintain consistency across the ships. I kind of doubt that person will now chime in and say they were misinformed....if, of course, they now have freshly squeezed (on board) orange juice again.

I prefer juice from "concentrate"...tastes better and is more uniform in flavor! And, no 'pits" or "pulp"! It's what I drink at home...it's what most folks drink at home!

We drink OJ that is "not from concentrate" in our home. Just saying.:D

Also the stores in our area have started selling fresh squeezed juice. Looks funny when it seperates, but OMG it's so good. It won't ruin my vacation if the just is squeezed elsewhere, but I notice those things and would prefere it was done on the ship.

As for eggs, they may not be powdered eggs, but they weren't fresh eggs my SO had in Blu last year when she ordered them scrambled. Too many business trips and eating at too many hotel buffets have taught me the difference. She ordered scrambled eggs from room service and they were not fresh eggs. Ordered them in Blu, not fresh. In both cases she did not like them. I figure you have to ask for fresh scrambled eggs.

Again, didn't ruin our cruise.:D

Edited by Chitown12562

Anyone who frequents these boards knows that not long ago, there was a long long discussion here about the status (or lack thereof) of fresh squeezed OJ on board Celebrity ships. I am happy to report that my wife s currently on Silhouette, and she reports that fresh squeezed OJ is indeed alive and well and on Celebrity Silhouette.

It was available on Eclipse,but cost about $3.50

The celebrity rep did chirp in on the OJ thread and said that they are now using prepackaged, fresh frozen juice in order to maintain consistency across the ships. I kind of doubt that person will now chime in and say they were misinformed....if, of course, they now have freshly squeezed (on board) orange juice again.

So that's interesting, Celebrity has said here that they no longer have "fresh OJ"? I'll search it but a link to the thread would speed it up.

Frozen is not fresh.

It can be called fresh if it has been pasteurized but not if frozen or concentrated... Funny, the shelf life of standard fresh pasteurized OJ is months with just refrigeration. Freezing changes the texture and the flavour.

BTW there are a few Organic people trying to say that additives, flavour enhancers and packets are standard ingredients to cartoned "fresh OJ" which is simply false for most of the major brands.

If they did by law they'd have to list them right?

https://cu.pepsico.com/tropicana

In any case there is nothing as good as right out of the orange. Some times it may come our sweeter, weeks later less so.... In Cuba over Christmas there wasn't anything but fresh real OJ, that's all they can get!

Edited by A Sixth?

There are two Cafe al Bacio locations on some of the S-Class ships -- although it's possible this is only true for Reflection. There's the main location on the fifth floor, and then a smaller secondary location in the Oceanview Cafe :)

Hi, Are you referring to the bar inside of the buffet? I have never

heard of that bar being called Cafe Al Bacio....I just know it as

the portside bar at the buffet.

Edited by Lois R

We drink OJ that is "not from concentrate" in our home. Just saying.:D

Also the stores in our area have started selling fresh squeezed juice. Looks funny when it seperates, but OMG it's so good. It won't ruin my vacation if the just is squeezed elsewhere, but I notice those things and would prefere it was done on the ship.

As for eggs, they may not be powdered eggs, but they weren't fresh eggs my SO had in Blu last year when she ordered them scrambled. Too many business trips and eating at too many hotel buffets have taught me the difference. She ordered scrambled eggs from room service and they were not fresh eggs. Ordered them in Blu, not fresh. In both cases she did not like them. I figure you have to ask for fresh scrambled eggs.

Again, didn't ruin our cruise.:D

Having a catering co. I can tell you what they are..It's called "Boil in Bag Eggs". It's simply frozen egg mixture(with preservatives)that you bring to a quick boil. If you over do it, they come out woth a lot of brown color. Overall not too bad. Best bet is to order fresh scrambled from the omelet station in the cafe.

It was available on Eclipse,but cost about $3.50

My experience too, same ship January.

Apparently we were duped... good job because whatever I had seemed like fresh squeezed and wasn't 100% the same throughout the two weeks. :p and certainly not the frozen stuff in the Buffet

Here's the Celebrity Cruises thread from a month ago ghstudio was referring to(Feb)

We wanted to address some of your concerns about no longer offering freshly squeezed orange juice onboard our ships. In order to ensure a consistent premium product fleetwide, we've made the decision to switch our fresh squeezed-to-order juice to a fresh pre-squeezed juice. Our main priority is to guarantee a quality juice product year-round regardless of a ship's location, so we've made this change to support that goal.

Edited by A Sixth?

If fresh is so important why not eat a orange, It is squeezed in your mouth straight from the source eliminating the middle person. :D

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Well, we can put that long, long thread to rest.:D

so you wife is on the cruise, but you are not?:confused:

Aye. she and her sister take a traditional "sisters cruise in the spring. I'll be with her this fall from Venice.

If fresh is so important why not eat a orange, hand squeezed and it goes straight from the source into your mouth, eliminate the middle person. :D

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Beer is important to me too, but I am willing to let someone handle the details on that too. :p

Could I ask how you KNOW it was fresh-squeezed? I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult at all, but I have some very specific wording in the beverage packages FAQ about the juice being frozen fresh-squeezed or something to that effect. I'd like to update it to be 100% accurate, but before I do that I would like a little bit more information about how the OP knew that his wife's juice was "fresh" as opposed to "fresh frozen" :)

Personally, juice is juice and it's delicious. I'm just happy to have a glass no matter where it came from :cool:

Her fresh squeezed was provided by Suite butler, and she asked him and he said it was fresh squeezed. And she said it definitely tasted fresh squeezed, pulp(the best part) and all.