Some questions about GTY

Tarpeian Rock

Just curious - did you originally book a particular cabin, and was it POV? We never book concierge level; never realized there were POV cabins in that category.

Agree, which cabin was it?

Well, can you tell if this person originally had an assigned cabin or a GTY? I'm not sure I'm interpreting his comment correctly. I've never heard of anyone having a guarantee and getting less than what that GTY was for, which is what I interpret him to be implying. If someone books a GTY, he/she could end up with the most desirable cabin in that category OR the least desirable cabin, which is partly why it's called a GTY! I didn't know any concierge level cabins were obstructed, so I learned something today.

Who knows, maybe there will be a cancellation and the person will be bumped up to the best cabin available?

Well, can you tell if this person originally had an assigned cabin or a GTY? I'm not sure I'm interpreting his comment correctly. I've never heard of anyone having a guarantee and getting less than what that GTY was for, which is what I interpret him to be implying. If someone books a GTY, he/she could end up with the most desirable cabin in that category OR the least desirable cabin, which is partly why it's called a GTY! I didn't know any concierge level cabins were obstructed, so I learned something today.

Who knows, maybe there will be a cancellation and the person will be bumped up to the best cabin available?

The best I can piece together is that he booked the RTW cruise for Jan then with the fire he booked the July RTW cruise & took a Concierge GTY

Then was assigned a 7117 which is a POV (partially obstructive view)

He is not happy with that cabin because he is under the impression it is the worse cabin in that Cat

Just my take on his posts ;)

OK thanks. If that's true, he got what he paid for, no more no less. At least there's little disappointment when booking an inside cabin guarantee - they're pretty much the same, and all of them have a fully obstructed view! Makes my choice easier!

Room 7117 reply.

On my original cruise for the RWT cruise I had selected, and been allocated 7018 which is a non POV concierge cabin.

The RWT was cancelled so I asked my TA to either get me on the next cruise or get a full refund.

Oceania came back to the TA and said they would give me a GTY cabin, the same or better than the one I had booked on the previous cruise.

I was happy with that.

What I did not know, and what was not told to me, was that the cruise was fully booked very soon after. (There is now a waiting list for all levels except floor 4).

Had I been told that for 180 days on the ship I would have a POV cabin I would have pulled the pin and canceled then, for a full refund.

So my options now have been taken away with time.

Yes I am on the cruise, and yes I got the same level.

If you read the thread you will see that apart from the POV there was a concern raised from someone else that the cabin appeared smaller and the door entrance appeared restricted. For a 15 day cruise, I have no issue. But for a 6 month cruise then I do want the same or better as promised, at the time I decided to leave my money with Oceania.

From the photos available on CC, the ships super structure angles diagonally down, from the top to the bottom, thus restricting light and a full view. Being a tall person the thought of leaning over the rail to get a better view, hitting my head, and being semi conscious for 6 months was less than appealing.

The issue is all about full disclosure, at the time I left my money with them. Had they said cabin 7117 is the only one we have, I would then live with the consequence of my decision. But as you have seen, that did not happen.

To me the "same or better" does not come with hidden impairments for the customer to find out for themselves. Even the ships plan on their web site does joy dis love the POV.

John Pryor,

Which world cruise is this?

I understand your disappointment and frustration. If you are on the July '15 or Jan '16, there is a chance that someone may cancel and a better cabin will open up, especially for the latter as it probably is before final payment.

Let your TA (and Oceania) know how you feel and that you definitely want a different cabin if and when one opens.

Good luck.

The problem, of course, is no one really wants that cabin, especially for 6 months. Perhaps a financial incentive might ease the pain? Have your TA suggest it, in as subtle a way as possible (the cruise line doesn't like to be backed into a corner).

John, You are on 2016, correct? Heard years ago, average cruise cabin is sold, resold 6 times. Confirmed by several active cruise agents.You have a lot of time to score an acceptable cabin. 7017 is way too far up in bow. But its up to you to orchestrate it in Os musical chairs system.Do you need to change TAs? Your average TA is unfamiliar with Os system which is to your $$ disadvantage.You can cancel, find a top O booker(leave your Email here?), or book direct with Oceania. I find O pawns off bad cabins, bad flights on first timers with unknown outside cruise agents. Tried it with my cabinmate; she then booked her own air. For me they did great air.

Unfortunately too late to get a new agent. PCH rules limit change time to 30 days after booking so current agent will get full commission even if the OP is able to find another agent to take over for free. Going with an inhouse agent brings into play the same issues as since they work for the company they tend to not be as good as a good TA.

Also, suggesting the OP leave their e-mail here is a recipe for post deletion and possible warning from CC as any type of trying to find a TA on CC is not allowed.

Just wanted to come back here and thank John for clarifying what happened, as I was scratching my head about it. But yes, it sounds like you have some time for a change to happen, and it can't hurt to start asking to be considered for one. The cabin doesn't sound all that bad, although I had to find the thread on "obstructive view" to find out what the obstruction actually looked like! It just looks like the balcony area is a little smaller due to the slope of the ship, which doesn't obstruct your view straight out to sea, which would be the most important thing to me! But of course, for a 60 day cruise, I would want the best cabin possible, or at least the best possible for ME, as the definition of best might change from person to person! At least now you (and I!) know that not all concierge cabins are identical, which should help in making future (non-GTY) cabin selections or deciding to accept or reject any upsells.

Good luck, and most importantly, enjoy that cruise!

Edited by roothy123

John, You are on 2016, correct? Heard years ago, average cruise cabin is sold, resold 6 times. Confirmed by several active cruise agents..

I think he is on the July 2015 RTW in 7117 in the aft section

Agree.

I don't think they sell a guarantee as long as actual cabins are available in the category requested.

The chances of an upgrade depend on the demand for cabins not how they were booked.

Just for info: two weeks before our Riviera cruise begins, we were offered an upgrade to Veranda from our GTY Deluxe Oceanview, for $400 each. Strange offer since there are Veranda cabins "available" on the website for $300 more than we paid. We are not taking the offer.

Tom

Just for info: two weeks before our Riviera cruise begins, we were offered an upgrade to Veranda from our GTY Deluxe Oceanview, for $400 each. Strange offer since there are Veranda cabins "available" on the website for $300 more than we paid. We are not taking the offer.

Tom

You could always make them an offer of less $$ :D

Tom

It's all about the possibly of making a little more money! Some people are thrilled by the offer and take it; others do not. There are so few insides and oceanviews (usually sold out on the cruises I've taken) and so many veranda cabins, so offers are frequently made to those of us occupying the cheaper cabins. I've never been offered an upsell to a veranda cabin that cost more than the price on the website (at least for the actual category they're offering) but if the veranda category they offered you was the same as the one you priced out, you were indeed smart to decline it! That's one more reason to know exactly what cabins you might get in a specific category, the published cost, and how much more you're willing to pay if you receive an upsell offer.

You could always make them an offer of less $$ :D

Yes, well since we would be satisfied with DeluxeOV, our plan is to wait for a free upgrade. So I could make them an offer like the Godfather: .."my offer is..nothing." :D

but if the veranda category they offered you was the same as the one you priced out, you were indeed smart to decline it! That's one more reason to know exactly what cabins you might get in a specific category, the published cost, and how much more you're willing to pay if you receive an upsell offer.

The offer was for a B Veranda $400 each, which I suppose could be any of the 4 B categories, the cheapest of which was $300 about Deluxe OV. We probably could have discussed it with them, but we were holding out for zero cost upgrade. :D

Wow...really? I never thought of making a counter-offer to an upsell...has anybody been successful with that?

I have heard it has happened

I am usually happy with what I book & if an offer comes along great :D

Wow...really? I never thought of making a counter-offer to an upsell...has anybody been successful with that?

Some TA's have been successful with counter-offers in the case of an upsell from a specific reserved cabin, not a GTY. Of course, upsell offers go quickly and might be snapped up before the counter-offer is received.

As far as an upsell from a GTY is concerned, my philosophy is simple:

1) -- I'm happy with a cabin at the level of my GTY

2) -- Obviously, I would probably be happier with a higher level cabin

3) -- I refuse all upsells

4) -- Oceania has to put me somewhere. At some point, if upsells are not good enough to clear a cabin for me at my GTY level, Oceania either has to up the ante to others or decide it's cheaper to find a cabin at a higher level, at the GTY price.

The key is not to care which way it works out. The result, however, has gone in my favor more than once, getting a free upgrade.

For example, say I have an oceanview guaranty (C1 on the small ships, C on the big ones). I'm satisfied with the oceanview, in fact that's probably what I'd book if I could choose the cabin. My TA calls with an upsell offer. I smile, and say, "if they can't find me an oceanview cabin, they have to give me a better one for free. I'll wait."

Just wanted to add my situation with O WC, 20015 3 segs. My discount agent was sick, my O high booker was nowhere to be found and I accepted the best offer from unknown FL agent my cabinmate found. Only could book an E guaranty at the time. Only found out I had a cabin assignnment by chance after entering My Act.. on O. I had requested any one of 4 end cabins in E on 6(unobstructed). or better. Assigned one in middle of Es. Only upsell offer was a 4. Cannot sleep down there. Anyhow, upon seeing hour earlier on rollcall OP dropped their end E to go to larger cabin on 4, thought I would call Oceania directly. Surprisingly, it was available, so did an exchange. Do not hesitate to address any issues directly with O, especially when booked with, shall we say a non O travel agent.

The key is not to care which way it works out. The result, however, has gone in my favor more than once, getting a free upgrade.

For example, say I have an oceanview guaranty (C1 on the small ships, C on the big ones). I'm satisfied with the oceanview, in fact that's probably what I'd book if I could choose the cabin. My TA calls with an upsell offer. I smile, and say, "if they can't find me an oceanview cabin, they have to give me a better one for free. I'll wait."

Don,

Exactly my situation and how I feel !

Tom