Changes to waitstaff tipping policy

wattsde

We just got off Reflection Saturday. The hot topic among the waiters was that they had just been told that starting next month they would no longer keep their individual tips: all tips that went on a shipboard account would be pooled and split equally among all wait staff. So if one waiter had two tables of eight and another had only one table of six: they would get the same tip. This includes tips for the specialty restaurant waiters which would go into the same “pool” as the main dining room tips. The only exception was any tips given to them personally in cash they could keep. The waiters were quite agitated with many threatening not to renew their contracts. They universally felt this would lead to degradation in service since there was no longer any incentive for working harder. This makes me wonder what else is in store…

We just got off Reflection Saturday. The hot topic among the waiters was that they had just been told that starting next month they would no longer keep their individual tips: all tips that went on a shipboard account would be pooled and split equally among all wait staff. So if one waiter had two tables of eight and another had only one table of six: they would get the same tip. This includes tips for the specialty restaurant waiters which would go into the same “pool” as the main dining room tips. The only exception was any tips given to them personally in cash they could keep. The waiters were quite agitated with many threatening not to renew their contracts. They universally felt this would lead to degradation in service since there was no longer any incentive for working harder. This makes me wonder what else is in store…

There wouldbe a number of incentives for them:

1. They could keep the extra tips they receive.

2. Waiters can select their section based on their ratings. The better the ratingthe more desirable the location.

3. They could get a bonus if name "Star for the Month".Congrats to Hugo on Connie for both December and January.

4. Personal pride.

Several Maitre 'ds in Specialty Restaurants have told me that getting the staff they want has become a problem since waiters can make more in tips in the MDR. This might be a way to address the problem.

Waiters in Select generally don't get extra tips since passengers in Select tend to move around and usually don't have a relationship with one waiter. Yet, evry Restaurant Manager tells me that they want the best waiters in Select since it requires faster service. The new system can help here.

Those who might leave may not necessarily be the highly motivated servers Celebrity wants and there will probably be at least 10 who would be glad to take the job based on the significantly higher wage than if they stayed home.

Note: Not uncommon for some staff to tell passengers "facts" to create sympathy and increse tips. Anyone who has ever been a waiter or in a job whose earnings were based on tips may now confess.

Edited by Orator

I too thought it was done this way already. The result of this will be cruisers opting out of the company plan and paying the staff directly. Was told if a waiter has fewer tops on one cruise they would have them adjusted on future cruises so it would average out.

I thought this is the way it's been done for quite awhile. They pool their tips and then every one get's their share.

J.

I thought so too, but apparently not and WOW were they all fired up......

We have been at traditional dining in the MDR and there were waiters & assistants whose sections were almost empty because the passengers assigned to those tables never ate in the MDR. We were speaking to one of the assistants and ask how that impacted his income, he said that some of those who never ate there also removed the tips so empty tables meant he wouldn't make much money.

Maybe pooling is intended to make sure that wait staff whose guests chose not to eat in the MDR aren't penalized for something they can't influence.

I too thought it was done this way already. The result of this will be cruisers opting out of the company plan and paying the staff directly. Was told if a waiter has fewer tops on one cruise they would have them adjusted on future cruises so it would average out.

Could happen, but IMHO quite unlikely as most passengers wouldn't care if it was one way or another. Those who might show some interest most likely wouldn't take the time to stand in line at Guest Relations to make a change. A very small and insignificant minority might make an adjustment. It's human nature to express concern,complain and do nothing.

There wouldbe a number of incentives for them:

1. They could keep the extra tips they receive.

2. Waiters can select their section based on their ratings. The better the ratingthe more desirable the location.

3. They could get a bonus if name "Star for the Month".Congrats to Hugo on Connie for both December and January.

4. Personal pride.

Several Maitre 'ds in Specialty Restaurants have told me that getting the staff they want has become a problem since waiters can make more in tips in the MDR. This might be a way to address the problem.

Waiters in Select generally don't get extra tips since passengers in Select tend to move around and usually don't have a relationship with one waiter. Yet, evry Restaurant Manager tells me that they want the best waiters in Select since it requires faster service. The new system can help here.

Those who might leave may not necessarily be the highly motivated servers Celebrity wants and there will probably be at least 10 who would be glad to take the job based on the significantly higher wage than if they stayed home.

Note: Not uncommon for some staff to tell passengers "facts" to create sympathy and increse tips. Anyone who has ever been a waiter or in a job whose earnings were based on tips may now confess.

Hi Orator:

Your post reminded me of something. In 94 we took the Horizon out of NYC to Bermuda and our waiter had just the week before been given the award of waiter of the month or something like that, I know this because his picture was somewhere on the ship, don't remember where. He said it was important to them because it allowed them to pick a location to serve in the dining room. At the time the primary locations were near the kitchen doors which may not be the primary location for many cruisers to sit. The reason for choosing by the kitchen doors was simple, less lugging of plates, dishes, etc. Of course at the time, the only place you could eat was in the dining room so there were no empty seats.

Don't know how true the story was but his picture was hanging up and frankly it makes sense.

I think the confusion with some on this thread with the pooling is I don't think everyone in the past has pooled their tips. I can see Select Dining but I have been told the traditional dining does not pool.

Edited by dkjretired

I've always assumed that the S/C gets divided equally among everyone (cabin steward, dining, etc.).

I've never up-tipped on my account, we always do this with cash. looks like we need to continue doing it this way.

If my waiter has worked hard to take care of me, I want my cash tip to go to him, not get redistributed.

I can see where someone might think that since they are not going to the MDR its okay to remove that portion of the tip, but who do they think is serving them at the buffet? Maybe there needs to be a better education from the cruiseline to all passengers about how that service charge is distributed.

Perhaps the solution is for the S/C to be included in the cruise fare so that everyone gets free gratuities and no one can remove them.

Totally unprofessional behavior by the waiters who were talking about this and have to wonder if they were just trolling for cash tips.

On Carnival Dream, I had the MDR waiter tell me that he saw none of the tip if we auto-tipped. The only way he got tipped was if we tipped cash directly. We had other issues with this waiter, so I took everything he said and paid it no regard.

Hi Orator:

Your post reminded me of something. In 94 we took the Horizon out of NYC to Bermuda and our waiter had just the week before been given the award of waiter of the month or something like that, I know this because his picture was somewhere on the ship, don't remember where. He said it was important to them because it allowed them to pick a location to serve in the dining room. At the time the primary locations were near the kitchen doors which may not be the primary location for many cruisers to sit. The reason for choosing by the kitchen doors was simple, less lugging of plates, dishes, etc. Of course at the time, the only place you could eat was in the dining room so there were no empty seats.

Don't know how true the story was but his picture was hanging up and frankly it makes sense.

I think the confusion with some on this thread with the pooling is I don't think everyone in the past has pooled their tips. I can see Select Dining but I have been told the traditional dining does not pool.

Hi Don:

I remember when Celebrity placed the pictures of their "star" in Celebrity Today. Have urged them to consider doing it again. The best should be recognized not only by Celebrity, but also by the passengers. I remember when a Hostess in Blu was pictured and guest were congratulating her as they entered. She really appreciated the gesture.

/\ /\ /\ /\ - THIS!

Ship staff like to gossip (well don't we all to some extent...?)....Remember, They told us Bistro on 5 was closing to become a suite dining room, as recently as last month....They told us Century was being redeployed to Venice even though it was announced it was being sold off....

If it's true, the bad ticked off apples will leave and new ones will come in and not know any different and be happy. I would think they get thousands of applications and hire only a relatively few number ( I realize they use outside services to fill positions).

Pooling of tips is common in restaurants, especially higher end ones, where wait staff split tips with bussers, dishwashers etc.

I also, like many here, thought tips were already pooled, and cash tips also had to be pooled. There;s a post in another thread someplace talking about guests trying to cash tip the assistant cabin steward who told them the cash must go to the lead, who will then split with them.

Edited by cle-guy

Totally unprofessional behavior by the waiters who were talking about this and have to wonder if they were just trolling for cash tips.

My thoughts, exactly!

Hi Don:

I remember when Celebrity placed the pictures of their "star" in Celebrity Today. Have urged them to consider doing it again. The best should be recognized not only by Celebrity, but also by the passengers. I remember when a Hostess in Blu was pictured and guest were congratulating her as they entered. She really appreciated the gesture.

That must have been before our time, on X. But, it sounds like a great idea -- that would cost the company next to nothing! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

You really CANNOT take what tipped employees tell you about "how they get paid" to heart...

Some of these folks work for the cruise lines for years and years...they must do ok, or they wouldn't stay! They are not "slave labor"...they can leave if they feel they aren't fairly treated.

The best thing to do is pay the tips as the cruise line suggests...and stop asking the service personnel about their pay!!!!

Count me among the many who thought this is the way it's been done for years.....each dining room pools their tips. I don't plan to change anything....I do the standard tips and then give extra cash when deserved.

Better land based restaurants pool tips, and they are split fairly based on tables, hours, etc.

Another way to look at it, is it creates positive peer pressure. When one person is a frequent slacker and everyone knows it, folks don't put up with it when it hurts their paycheck.

Since we have selected MTD ever since it was first offered, we always have to prepay our gratuities ... we simply trust the Powers That Be to distribute them fairly according to whatever formula they use ... and if there is any one we want to tip directly in cash, we do so.

We will continue to do that ... but I do wish the cruise lines would offer a good explanation of how the tips are distributed.

You really CANNOT take what tipped employees tell you about "how they get paid" to heart...

Some of these folks work for the cruise lines for years and years...they must do ok, or they wouldn't stay! They are not "slave labor"...they can leave if they feel they aren't fairly treated.

The best thing to do is pay the tips as the cruise line suggests...and stop asking the service personnel about their pay!!!!

Agree!!! ;)

We will continue to do that ... but I do wish the cruise lines would offer a good explanation of how the tips are distributed.

This would be nice. :cool:

When we give a an extra tip to our steward (usually give a $20 inside our stateroom) do they really have to turn that money into the lead to be split? How would the lead know that the tip was given? :confused:

If Celebrity knew what server discussed that with the passenger they would be let go. I also feel that the tips have been pooled for quite a while and that server was looking for an extra "cash" tip from the passenger. That is a big NO NO

It was not just one server, it was multiple servers in multiple areas....

Sorry to disappoint but we NEVER asked anyone about their pay: completely volunteered. Unprofessional I agree, but as I said, they (seemed) quite upset.

Sorry to disappoint but we NEVER asked anyone about their pay: completely volunteered. Unprofessional I agree, but as I said, they (seemed) quite upset.
Curious, how did they bring up the changes on how they will get paid? Were they talking about it themselves? Was one quite grumpy and you asked why, they told you? I've never had a crew member just talk about their tips, unless they were looking for sympathy to get more.

This question about tipping policy shows up on every cruise line message board that I visit. I agree with cb at sea: why ask a shipboard employee how he/she is compensated? I would not appreciate being asked by them how I earn my money.

My tipping policy works for me: I leave the auto gratuity charge on my account. And, I will offer additional cash to those staff whom I feel deserve it. What they then do with the money I am paying is, in my opinion, none of my business. I do have an opinion, however: those to whom I give additional cash, I would hope that they would be able to keep it and not have to "pool" it.