A couple last minute questions

Leaving this weekend for a cruise on the freedom. I have a couple last minute questions…

1. Do we need lanyards for the keys?

2. Should we use a shoe organizer for the bathroom?

3. How early can we get on the ship?

4. Anything we should bring--tips on things people forget?

5. Any other last minute advice?

Thanks so much!!

HI, Here are a few things

1. if you want to hang your key card around your neck, if you bring a lanyard they will punch if for you, if not you can get one from the gift shop that says royal caribbean on it after they open

2. The bathrooms are small and tend to get steamy from the shower, I personally would not put one in there. There are metal racks in the closet that I think has four rows (maybe 3) and I usually put my shoes on that

3. No matter what anyone tells you. Look at your set sail pass. If the boarding time says, 12:30 dont be like the others that show up at 10:30 am and then complain that they had to wait. You need to keep in mind that this ship just came back and several thousand people are trying to get off, it takes time to get everyone cleared and the ship ready. Why do you want the stress of rushing to the ship and waiting in line. (there are those that will tell you they showed up at 11 am and got right on, but why do you need that, just relax show up when you are told and enjoy) Trust me, the ship will not run out of food. And honestly, I usually figure the first day, (up until muster drill) to sorta be a loss, and dont officially feel like my cruise has started until sail away.

4. One thing the rooms done have is any time of clock. Even though I am on vacation I like to know what time it is. For me, I bring an old android cell phone (that is not hooked up to service) I just downloaded an alarm clock ap on it and leave it on a small stand I bought next to the tv. (some people dont want a clock, but for shore excursions, or dinner reservations you might like it)

5. last minute advice. Have fun,, dont sweat the small things. Trust me from the second you get in line you will find people complaining. It's just the way some people are. Dont worry about it. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

1. Lanyards are personal preference. They obviously can be helpful to have, particularly with children, but from my experience, lanyards are becoming as fashionable as "fanny packs". But maybe that's just the opinion of the particular posts I read.

2. I use more than one organizer. Some responders will tell you not to bother and "pack light, pack light, pack light", but I overpack, don't mind taking the extra luggage, and feel that I enjoy my cruise more by having all the just-in-case items.

3. Getting on the ship varies. I have been on as early as 11:30 a.m. (and am simply a gold level in a regular balcony room), but there is no guarantee that you can board that early. In some instances Royal Caribbean is sending emails indicating that certain decks should arrive at certain times. If I have this correct, it is a measure to help control flow of people and it is not enforced. I am someone that would arrive at Port early, happy to wait, but want to get on the ship as soon as they allow me to start enjoying my cruise!

4. Others will give great responses to this. I am the person who has three spreadsheets, one of which cross-references the items I packed with the luggage where it can be located, so I rarely forget anything. (See question #2 - I seriously overpack)

5. Best advice - enjoy!!! We don't sail until May and our group is getting anxious and excited.

LOL Fanny packs. It's one of my favorite cruise ship games I play with my friends when we go. 1. First Fanny Pack Sighting 2. First Man In a Speedo Sighting LOL and yes.. while the lanyards look dorky, they do serve a purpose, especially if you are traveling with children.

I don't use a lanyard in a hotel OR on a cruise! I carry a very small purse, so I'll have my lipstick, comb, tissues, etc....you might want "touch ups" without a trek to your cabin!

Hubby keeps his card in his pocket, just like anywhere else!

Never needed an over the door thing...plenty of storage!!!

We arrive around 11:30am....

Don't forget to take your passport!:eek: I just watched a show about the Oasis and can't believe that people show up without them or even expired ones which are useless. Also, call your credit card company (the ONE you're going to use) and let them know you're traveling out of country so they don't freeze your account/card.

1. One thing I brought on my last cruise that I will do again is bring my own pump style soap for the bathroom. Frequent hand washing is a must and I'm not a fan of bar soap (which is what they provide). I loved having liquid soap like I'm used to at home. Just a personal preference.

2. I wondered about needing the over the door hanger too and decided against it. Like someone else said, if you have more than two people in the room then maybe it would come in handy, but for two people it's really not necessary.

3. I personally am a lanyard person. Dorky or not, I always know where my card is and it works for me. I would worry about losing it otherwise.

When disembarking at terminal 1 the luggage porters have their own customs line. A tip to the porter for caring your luggage will save you a long wait standing in line to go through customs.

This morning from the time we left the ship it was under 15 minutes and we were on the highway driving home.

I am a lanyard person... I don't carry a purse at home, not going to carry one on a cruise! All I carry at home is my cellphone with a wallet case and my keys...

IF you do decide to get a lanyard don't get one with a magnetic break-away clasp... I demagnetized mine 2 or 3 times....

One thing that was nice for us was a plug-in air freshener. I know outlets can be limited but we found it was worth it. We also used it in our hotel in SJ too and said we need keep it on our packing list.

Camera and electronics chargers. Note that the cabin likely only has one double outlet and putting two cubes next to each other is impossible. Extension cords are technically not allowed so we use a short splitter cord that moves the cubes away from the wall outlet.

You won't be allowed in your room until around 2, so if you come early expect to haul your carry-on around. If you want to go swimming put the outfits in there.

I am a lanyard person... I don't carry a purse at home, not going to carry one on a cruise! All I carry at home is my cellphone with a wallet case and my keys...

IF you do decide to get a lanyard don't get one with a magnetic break-away clasp... I demagnetized mine 2 or 3 times....

One thing that was nice for us was a plug-in air freshener. I know outlets can be limited but we found it was worth it. We also used it in our hotel in SJ too and said we need keep it on our packing list.

How was it demagnetized? I just got a really cute lanyard with a magnetized breakaway clasp....now I'm afraid to wear it!

How was it demagnetized? I just got a really cute lanyard with a magnetized breakaway clasp....now I'm afraid to wear it!

When I took it off at night, I would just lay it on the desk, I wasn't careful with it. I also wrapped it around my wrist a few times and wore it as a bracelet...

I just had to go down to guest services and they would take care of it, not sure what they did to make it work when they didn't replace it, they only replaced it once (maybe 2x)

A few times at the cafe, they had to enter my seapass # in manually. That's typically how I figured out I had done it again!!

I did finally start hanging it up at night...

When I took it off at night, I would just lay it on the desk, I wasn't careful with it. I also wrapped it around my wrist a few times and wore it as a bracelet...

I just had to go down to guest services and they would take care of it, not sure what they did to make it work when they didn't replace it, they only replaced it once (maybe 2x)

A few times at the cafe, they had to enter my seapass # in manually. That's typically how I figured out I had done it again!!

I did finally start hanging it up at night...

Oh, I get it!!! You demagnetized your card.... I thought you meant that the magnetized clasp stopped functioning! I will be sure to be careful with that [emoji4]

Oh, I get it!!! You demagnetized your card.... I thought you meant that the magnetized clasp stopped functioning! I will be sure to be careful with that [emoji4]

No, the magnet was very very strong. The one I got was a clear beaded thing with some silver accents from Walmart. I don't wear jewelry, and it looked better then a colored strap or NFL one...

Just remember to keep the seapass away from the magnet, a cell phone and they recommended I don't hold a camcorder near the seapass.

1. Travel size meds, such as Pepto Bismol, Imodium, Ibuprofen, etc.; sea sickness meds, such as Bonine, crystallized ginger, etc. (or whatever works for you)

2. Magnetic hooks to hang things (you're practically surrounded by metal and steel)

3. Highlighters to mark your Cruise Compasses!

Camera and electronics chargers. Note that the cabin likely only has one double outlet and putting two cubes next to each other is impossible. Extension cords are technically not allowed so we use a short splitter cord that moves the cubes away from the wall outlet.

You won't be allowed in your room until around 2, so if you come early expect to haul your carry-on around. If you want to go swimming put the outfits in there.

Cabins are almost always available by 1.

Very rarely, 1:30.

Often earlier.

Never as late as 2, unless there is a problem.

:)

Leaving this weekend for a cruise on the freedom. I have a couple last minute questions…

1. Do we need lanyards for the keys?

"Need" is a relative term. Do many people use them? Yes. Do those people look happy about it? Yes. Do I use one? No. I find it irritating to have it around my neck. I don't mind shoving my card in my pocket, or if I want to carry a few other things, carrying a small "cruise purse."

2. Should we use a shoe organizer for the bathroom?

When I cruise with the kids, they are lifesavers. We use the shoe holder type, with CLEAR pockets. The usefulness is two-fold: Getting stuff off the counter and out of drawers. Putting small items where they can easily be seen. We hang it on the outside of the bathroom door.

3. How early can we get on the ship?

As they say, your cruise begins as soon as you board, so the earlier you board, the sooner you start cruising! ;) I suggest that you plan on reaching Port Canaveral around 11. Pack your patience, and if there are no problems or delays, you should be on board by noon. :)

4. Anything we should bring--tips on things people forget?

Bandaids. A blister can ruin your vacation.

Sunscreen. Very expensive on board.

Hat. Your scalp can get sunburned, too.

Your own shampoo. Trust me.

Empty water bottle. Refill on board as needed.

Dress purse for formal night. If you forget, utilize the infamous "$10 crap table" sale. :D

Highlighter, for marking "don't miss" activities in your daily Cruise Compass newsletter.

Patience. Don't leave home without it.

A smile. Ditto.

If there is only two people there is no need for an over the door organizer

now if there are 4 of you-- yes you need space

Haaaaave you seen the stuff my DW brings? :) We always bring one, but we mount it on the outside of the bathroom door.

When I cruise with the kids, they are lifesavers. We use the shoe holder type, with CLEAR pockets. The usefulness is two-fold: Getting stuff off the counter and out of drawers. Putting small items where they can easily be seen. We hang it on the outside of the bathroom door.

Agree. I hate cluttered counters; it also eliminates opening various cabinets looking for the item as it is in clear view! I do hang mine on the inside of the door and the "steam" has never affected it.

I always wear a lanyard. I find it very convenient. I also use the over the door hanger. It works really well with my husband and two teenage daughters. I also take a small magnetic dry erase board. It is flat so it doesn't take up much space in lugging and works great for leaving each other messages.

we always use the over the door shoe organizer. we put it on the outside of bathroom door. great place to store lotions and such.

don't use lanyards....reminds me of work!

always get to port early! we are usually one of the first to board. remember you are paying for the first day so might as well make the most of it. we eat first, change into swim suits and hit poolside!

we bring a battery operated clock. clocks on cabin phones are hard to read if you wear glasses.

we also bring a extra electrical outlet(no cord) works great! There are threads on this subject.

most important....have fun! you deserve it!