Esta question for retirees

drewlin

I am filling in my Esta form and it asks for current or previous employers. As I am retired and have not worked for 6 years do I say no or put my last employer down (if I can remember the details)?

I have sent them an email for clarification on their question but it can take 2 to 3 weeks for a reply and just wonder if any non-US retirees who have to apply for an ESTA would know the answer already.

I am filling in my Esta form and it asks for current or previous employers. As I am retired and have not worked for 6 years do I say no or put my last employer down (if I can remember the details)?

Firs of all - make sure you are at the right site: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

You can get ESTA from different agencies - buy´t only at higher prices.

... and you do not have an current or previous employee: Indicate whether you have a current or previous employer by selecting yes or no. Answering this question is required to complete your application. Yes / No

If Yes you need to specify that employee - if No no more questions asked.

Firs of all - make sure you are at the right site: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

You can get ESTA from different agencies -There are a number of third parties that have established websites that charge a fee for submitting your application on your behalf.

Forgot to write - the current price for ESTA is $14 per person - if asked more you are at the wrong web page - There are a number of third parties that have established websites that charge a fee for submitting your ESTA application on your behalf. Absolutely no need for paying more!

I hate visa rules and think they are of little use. Dodgy people get around it but I am not into dodgy behavior. Put down that you are Saudi and the US will probably not question it, lol. I did the Russian visa and it was the most fascinating trip of my life. I answered all questions fully as if the KGB would interrogate me in Moscow. Won't do it again. All the immigration hassle does is bother honest people.

Edited by jamessemaj

I hate visa rules and think they are of little use. Dodgy people get around it but I am not into dodgy behavior. Put down that you are Saudi and the US will probably not question it, lol. I did the Russian visa and it was the most fascinating trip of my life. I answered all questions fully as if the KGB would interrogate me in Moscow. Won't do it again. All the immigration hassle does is bother honest people.

I do not quite understand your comment. You better have to follow the rules! If you as a non US citizen enter US border immigration and hasn't answered the ESTA questions correct, you will be in deep troubles and you will not be allowed into US. Or should I understand your advise this way: dont' travel into a country asking all those questions?

As a retired person you have no current employer.

If you do not put down any previous employer it would imply that you have never ever worked.

I should put down your most recent employers details irrespective of how long ago that was. If they ask for the dates then put those down.

ESTA's last for three years and are multi trip. After the three year period you apply for another. It is a good idea to record your long reference number and do a printout.

They also like address of where staying in USA, this is generally first hotel including Zip Code if using one pre-cruise or give name of ship and departure port if you are not staying in hotel first day. You can also list hotel name and address if staying post cruise.

The proper government site, as previously mentioned is important as other web sites just take a commission and pass on the info.

Regards John

I do not quite understand your comment. You better have to follow the rules! If you as a non US citizen enter US border immigration and hasn't answered the ESTA questions correct, you will be in deep troubles and you will not be allowed into US. Or should I understand your advise this way: dont' travel into a country asking all those questions?

I say what I said. Another way to put it is, I follow the rules, as I did for Russia, but I think the rules don't provide safety and are just paper shuffling. Those up to no good will do that regardless of the extensive questions asked for a visa. My reference to Saudis is that of 9/11 when honest people were being questioned about entering the country. As I say, paper shuffling.

Yes, I follow the rules but don't think the rules are of much use.

ASs Hallasm's response, select "no" for employer.

End of.

You can then move on to the next question.

Simples :)

You need just one US address, even if you move on to another hotel or whatever. But you do need to enter an address - the form says you can enter "unknown" but it won't accept without an address. When you click to "next" at the bottom of the page, you'll get a prompt if there are any missing or unintelligible answers, so no worries that your application might not be complete.

And no need to update US address next time you use the ESTA

JB :)

(ps to John. Valid for TWO years)

Edited by John Bull

Are you sure you've got the right form, because unless it's changed in the last six months I don't remember having to fill in any info re employment. DH and I simply stated that we were retired and that was accepted by the authorities.

If you enter 'YES' and then click on the ? beside 'Employers Name' the information given states - 'Enter the name of your current employer. If you are not currently employed, enter the name of your previous employer. Employer name is required to complete the application. You may also enter SELF-EMPLOYED, STUDENT, CHILD, HOMEMAKER, STAY-AT-HOME PARENT, or any other word to describe your employment status'.

So, your employment status is.........'Retired'

I say what I said. Another way to put it is, I follow the rules, as I did for Russia, but I think the rules don't provide safety and are just paper shuffling. Those up to no good will do that regardless of the extensive questions asked for a visa. My reference to Saudis is that of 9/11 when honest people were being questioned about entering the country. As I say, paper shuffling.

Yes, I follow the rules but don't think the rules are of much use.

jamessemaj - thank you for the clarification

Does change the fact that you have to fill in the ESTA form with all those question if you as an European want to travel to US!

- at least you doe not have the same hazzle when traveling to Europe.

Are you sure you've got the right form, because unless it's changed in the last six months I don't remember having to fill in any info re employment. DH and I simply stated that we were retired and that was accepted by the authorities.

The form has recently changed - it used to be much simpler, but a lot of additional questions have been added.

ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years for a cost of US$ 14

Always use https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

I have just had an official response:-

Response Via Email (CBP Officer) 03/25/2015 12:00 PM

You may answer No.

Customer By Web Form (linda milton) 03/23/2015 05:19 PM

On the ESTA application form it asks for current or previous employer. As I have been retired for the last 6 years with no employment during this period, is it acceptable to answer 'no' to this question or should I list my last employer details?

Thanks for everyone's advice.

• 1 year later...
I have just had an official response:-

Response Via Email (CBP Officer) 03/25/2015 12:00 PM

You may answer No.

Customer By Web Form (linda milton) 03/23/2015 05:19 PM

On the ESTA application form it asks for current or previous employer. As I have been retired for the last 6 years with no employment during this period, is it acceptable to answer 'no' to this question or should I list my last employer details?

Thanks for everyone's advice.

May I ask was your application accepted

Regard

Joy