Help, they rebooked our flight for today's sailing on Regal

twoblklabs

I wonder how often people who travel to the pier on departure day actually do miss the ship? That would be a very interesting stat, but I bet it's not nearly as often as some think. I have completed 5 cruises and only traveled on day of departure for one, departing from SF ( I live an hour's drive away). In June, I will be traveling, by air, very early on the morning of departure. I admit to being a tad nervous, but for numerous reasons, this was the only way we could do it. It is EZ air so that's my comfort, not flying out of SFO so no fog worries, very early in the AM, so lots of other flights if necessary and a fairly short flight. Thanks to those who understand why this is sometimes necessary

If we're cruising out of San Pedro we'll fly the day of. Flying out of Seattle there are plenty of flights if one is missed.

If going out of FLL it's definitely the day before.

It's whatever works for you.

Since we are on the East coast we always fly the day of cruise for two reasons.

1) it is no more than a 90 min flight

2) there are usually flights to the destination every hour on the hour

We haven't missed one in 12 years but if we do, think of the money we have saved in hotel bills.

Mike:)

We haven't missed one in 12 years but if we do, think of the money we have saved in hotel bills.

Exactly. If one 'always flies a day early'; after a few cruises,

they have spent enough on the pre-cruise hotels, that they could

have paid for another cruise.

That's how I feel. Last month, during Washington, D.C.'s snowy season, I flew from Washington, D.C. to Fort Lauderdale, Florida on the morning of a four-day cruise on the Caribbean Princess to Turks & Caicos, and there's no way I would have spent the extra $100 + (and additional annual leave) to spend the night before the cruise in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. If I had missed the ship, I would have been disappointed, but not enough to pay the cost of leaving earlier. Everything worked out, as it almost always does.

Edited by Mackenzie1

You can make the same argument for not buying insurance. Essentially, arriving a day early is a form of cruise insurance.

After 20+ cruises and always flying in a day or two ahead of time, in May I am taking my first cruise for which I am flying in the day of the cruise. This was an extra cruise we decided on for a great price, and had to keep the cost down to be able to go. I have a non-stop early morning flight that arrives at 10:45 a.m. in Seattle. I have Princess air, Princess transfers, and Princess insurance. Don't plan to do this very often, but had to try it this time and hoping for the best, know I am taking a chance.

I have a friend who was flying to FLL in the winter on Southwest. She booked a flight for the day before the cruise. There was a snowstorm, and all flights that day were cancelled. Airline could not rebook her for a few days, so she missed the cruise. The following day, the day of the cruise, all flights departed on time. Had she booked her flight for the day of the cruise, she would have made it with no problem! She has never again booked flights for the day before; always books flights for day of cruise, and has never missed a ship since. So the only time she missed the ship was the time she booked a flight for the day before. You just never know. I like to arrive two days early, but that really does add a lot to the cost of the trip. Everyone has to make their own decision about what works best for them.

If we're cruising out of San Pedro we'll fly the day of. Flying out of Seattle there are plenty of flights if one is missed.

If going out of FLL it's definitely the day before.

That's the only time we've ever flown same day too

Hope the OP made it and has a drink in their hand right now.

I have a friend who was flying to FLL in the winter on Southwest. She booked a flight for the day before the cruise. There was a snowstorm, and all flights that day were cancelled. Airline could not rebook her for a few days, so she missed the cruise. The following day, the day of the cruise, all flights departed on time. Had she booked her flight for the day of the cruise, she would have made it with no problem! She has never again booked flights for the day before; always books flights for day of cruise, and has never missed a ship since. So the only time she missed the ship was the time she booked a flight for the day before.

Don't want to argue with that logic.

Here's the thing: with the way that flights are nowadays -- cancellations' date=' rebooking, weather delays, mechanical delays...I can't see not planning to come in a day ahead ....[/quote']

Sometimes that can backfire.

If the flight you are on a day ahead is cancelled, you are depending on the airline having seats for you the next morning.

With the way airlines fly full these days, that does not always work out.

I remember one post on Cruise Critic where a flight was cancelled the day before the cruise due to snow and there were no available seats to the port for four days. Meanwhile, the flight the morning of the cruise went out (full) on time.

If the flight you are on a day ahead is cancelled, you are depending on the airline having seats for you the next morning.

I remember one post on Cruise Critic where a flight was cancelled the day before the cruise due to snow and there were no available seats to the port for four days. Meanwhile, the flight the morning of the cruise went out (full) on time.

What you say is very true for some of us, but for others a cancelled flight the day before still leaves time to drive or take the train to the POE as an alternate.

Anything can backfire, but in general, planning to arrive early if budget and time permits gives you more options to recover than same day. Two days gives you even more options (at higher cost), etc.

It's a matter of comfort versus resources. I personally try for one day early, but if there are a lot of same day flights or alternate transport avail, I would risk same day if I had to (PHL to FLL for example, where there are 3 airlines with flights, and 3 more airports within a 2 hour drive). But overseas where there is only one flight per day and that usually full, I'll try for 2 days minimum if I can.

(

So sad...........looks like they might not have made it?

I'm thinking they did make it, but didn't have time to post. If they didn't make the cruise, I think they would have plenty of time to post a message.

Hopefully the OP is onboard enjoying the cruise and will let us know during or after the cruise.

Lew

We have only flown in early once and have never had a problem when arriving the day of the cruise. That being said, after reading this post I may want to re-think our future plans. We always buy the cruise insurance but was wondering how many others do also and if you have ever had to use it?

We normally fly in a day in advance, or for very long distance flights, several days in advance. That was ironic, though, for the people flying in the day before and not making the flight, but on the day itself would have made it! We have driven on the day of the cruise to San Pedro, which is still taking a chance with a certain notorious freeway (91) and we have flown up to Seattle VERY early on the day of the cruise. It was to save the hotel fare. We had so much time, we played the Amazing Race; held up a sign to share a taxi to the port. Actually kept asking people. We found our other couple and shared the expense. Our two ships were at the same finger of the dock. That trip they were on Princess and we were on HAL. Thought we would see them later in the week on shore but didn't. I REALLY would hate to miss a cruise.

We're flying into LA in a couple of weeks - same day. If it were across the country no way. We're getting the earliest flight out and if it's cancelled there's others we can take and still make it there. We've flow the same day to LA and to Seattle and made it easily. We're taking the Princess shuttle to the pier. No worries - we have trip insurance.

On our first cruise some years ago we flew from SFO to Seattle on the day of and had Princess transfers. Did not know about Cruise Critic then so blissfully unaware of potential problem :)

Last year Panama Cruise out of FLL we took a red eye from Sacramento with a change in Houston. Princess rep said 10:00 arrival was fine for 4:00 final board. But I did check the flights every day for two weeks before we left. Mostly on time, worst was 30 minutes late - except for one night Houston flight was cancelled :eek:

When we saw how nice FLL is DW said we should have taken an extra day :rolleyes:

We have only flown in early once and have never had a problem when arriving the day of the cruise. That being said, after reading this post I may want to re-think our future plans. We always buy the cruise insurance but was wondering how many others do also and if you have ever had to use it?

Although the insurance can make you whole financially, nothing can make up for the disappointment of missing a planned vacation, especially if still working and there is no other vacation period you can use.

Flying in at least a day before the cruise is good insurance that the vacation will not be missed.