Long flight survival????

3red7s

nothing easy about long flights, say 13 hrs. we have no choice to get to Europe. we often have stopovers but we fly business so its more comfortable than economy. as you get older its less tolerable to be in cramped surroundings, albeit some airlines are better than others.

as others have said maintain hydration, eat simply, be as comfortable as possible with dress. get to airport early and try to chose best connections. even flying business quality varies in terms of seats/food/lounges etc. we like emirates because they offer included transfers to and from home and at destinations. Singapore also is good especially the A380, again like all travel do research and good luck.

Since I know I will be trying to sleep, I wear loose fitting, wrinkle resistant clothes. Nothing tight fitting or restrictive. On one flight I was on, a couple actually changed into pajamas. I don't think I would be comfortable with that but street clothes that have cozy pj properties work for me. When I go on vacation I like to buy something new and cute to wear, but I don't wear the new stuff on the long flight.

Have a wonderful flight and enjoy your vacation.

Cheers.

On one flight I was on, a couple actually changed into pajamas.

About a decade or so ago my DH flew Washington, DC to London on Virgin in business or first class (probably was upgraded to the latter) and they actually gave their passengers pajamas! He wore them at home for a couple of years. He also had a United female flight attendant in first class offer to 'tuck him in' :eek:. He declined and one of the other attendants came up to him and whispered that the last male passenger she had offered to tuck in she ended up marrying! :D

I agree about the comfy clothes--also some layers, in case you're either hot or cold, usually the latter on transatlantic flights. A sweater comes in handy. And definitely comfy socks.

But how am I going to be able to look fashionable when I land in Paris this fall, after an overnight flight? :)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

If you have time to do so -- I have found that travelling to Europe on a flight that leaves the East Coast in the morning and gets to Europe in the evening works best in terms of dealing with flying and jet lag. You can either catch an onward flight from London that night, or stay at an airport hotel and then travel to your embarkation city the next day.

The last 3 or 4 times I've traveled to London for work, I've taken a flight that leaves Newark at 9 or 10 am and gets to Heathrow in the evening. By the time you clear immigration, get your bags, reach your hotel and have a bite of dinner, it's time to sleep. I usually can get 8 hours of sleep or so and then wake up the next morning basically on the right body clock. We usually fly premium economy to London, but that just gets more leg room instead of the additional backside room that I need. So I'm pretty much miserably uncomfortable the whole trip. But at least I'm not losing a night's sleep while being miserably uncomfortable.

Of course, being awake the whole flight (especially in steerage) might not be the best thing. But in terms of getting you acclimated to the time change fastest (plus not losing a night's sleep), I find it's the best option.

Cashmere tunic over slim Eileen Fisher knit pants, ankle boots:p

I agree, but on a more modest budget. ;) Knit leggings with a tunic and some cute ankle boots are what I plan to wear for our long 19 hr. flight.

I've seen some people wearing pajamas. Hey, whatever works for ya! :D

I agree, but on a more modest budget.

I have several EF tops I've found at local thrift stores for $3-5, so.... :D (though mohair is probably the most expensive, I have found cashmere from other brands) But my point is - if you want the more expensive brands, there are ways to get them for less $. There are slim knit pants (not leggings, I don't wear leggings in public) at all price points these days, so we should all be able to find something in our size & budget.

In general, comfortable, neat & pulled together is my aim - for business and leisure travel, no matter the destination. Some days I raise my bar and aim for stylish or chic, but getting off a red-eye overnight flight is not that time;)

If you have time to do so -- I have found that travelling to Europe on a flight that leaves the East Coast in the morning and gets to Europe in the evening works best in terms of dealing with flying and jet lag. You can either catch an onward flight from London that night, or stay at an airport hotel and then travel to your embarkation city the next day.

The last 3 or 4 times I've traveled to London for work, I've taken a flight that leaves Newark at 9 or 10 am and gets to Heathrow in the evening. By the time you clear immigration, get your bags, reach your hotel and have a bite of dinner, it's time to sleep. I usually can get 8 hours of sleep or so and then wake up the next morning basically on the right body clock. We usually fly premium economy to London, but that just gets more leg room instead of the additional backside room that I need. So I'm pretty much miserably uncomfortable the whole trip. But at least I'm not losing a night's sleep while being miserably uncomfortable.

Of course, being awake the whole flight (especially in steerage) might not be the best thing. But in terms of getting you acclimated to the time change fastest (plus not losing a night's sleep), I find it's the best option.

We used to do that too when we were living in London. There was a BOAC (remember them?) flight that left JFK around 10 in the morning and landed at Heathrow around 9 p.m. We'd get home just in time for the late news and then go to bed and wake up like we hadn't left! Flying West is harder though. Best part was the flight that took off from JFK just ahead of ours was the Concorde!! What a sight that was!!

We used to do that too when we were living in London. There was a BOAC (remember them?) flight that left JFK around 10 in the morning and landed at Heathrow around 9 p.m. We'd get home just in time for the late news and then go to bed and wake up like we hadn't left! Flying West is harder though. Best part was the flight that took off from JFK just ahead of ours was the Concorde!! What a sight that was!!

BOAC was a bit before my travelling time, but this has definitely become my favorite way to travel to Europe, unless there's a reason I need to be home during the day and therefore have to fly at night.

The westward flight length is definitely tougher, especially since by that point, I'm just ready to be home. My husband swears he's not going to travel to Europe again until teleportation is perfected ... but he's always fascinated by the shows we see with Rhine/Moselle cruises, and wants to go to Piz Gloria in Switzerland. So I'm thinking maybe a 2017 holiday markets cruise ending in Basel, with a few days in Switzerland after. Just have to save up enough vacation time ... and money .. to make it happen!

OMG so many wonderful suggestions and do's & don'ts...bottom line is I need to make the best of it, if I want to do another vacation to Europe....and I am sure I will. Thank you to all the CC & their great information...they always come thru

Our solution to "long flight survival" was to book Business Class, and to find fares that are slightly higher than economy using the ITA Matrix Search.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

We found business class tickets to Paris out of Detroit (a reasonable drive from central Ohio) that were about $400 higher, apiece, than Y fare out of Columbus. We'll have beds for the overnight flight segment to Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic, then first-class seats from Heathrow to CDG on British Airways. A very good deal, and an idea others might want to try.

Our solution to "long flight survival" was to book Business Class, and to find fares that are slightly higher than economy using the ITA Matrix Search.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

We found business class tickets to Paris out of Detroit (a reasonable drive from central Ohio) that were about $400 higher, apiece, than Y fare out of Columbus. We'll have beds for the overnight flight segment to Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic, then first-class seats from Heathrow to CDG on British Airways. A very good deal, and an idea others might want to try.

That was our ultimate decision as well. There's nothing like business class, especially on Lufthansa from JFK.....only downside is no matter where you're going you have to change planes in either Frankfort or Munich.

There is a lot of great advice here. I flew from New York to China once, 14 hours! I flew United and upgraded to Economy Plus and was very glad I did when I saw everyone eating their knees in economy. I brought snacks that I knew could sustain me in case the food was bad (trail mix is an excellent snack for this purpose as are apples). I made a point of walking a couple laps of the plane every hour or two to keep the circulation going. Lots of water, even though it makes it necessary to use the tiny bathroom. Hand and face moisturizer.

In addition, as soon as I got on the plane, I started adjusting to the time at my destination (12 hour difference so complete opposite time of day. My flight left at 6:00 am so it was 6:00pm in Shanghai. I brought sleeping pills to help me fall asleep by 10:00 and slept a good 6 hours. It really helped! I got up, walked a few laps, drank a couple bottles of water and watched a movie, read a book, listened to music...whatever you like.

It was a very long flight but when we got there and got off the plane, it was such a relief and so worth it.

Have a wonderful trip!

Business class does make a big difference. I face very long haul flights - with the total time being anything from 24 hours up to 36 hours as I come from Australia. One strategy is to stop-over for a day en-route. That breaks it down to an 8 hour leg up to Asia and an 11 hour leg to Europe. At places like Kuala Lumpur (which means I am using Malaysian Airlines with pretty cheap fares), there is a hotel at the airport which has comfortable beds, quiet, good food, and space.

Have been to Europe from Eastern US several times, and to Australia once.

I have given up on the idea of sleeping. My adrenaline is running so high, it just doesn't happen.

I have tried all the suggestions (except upgrading, which my Scotch soul would not allow!), doesn't matter.

Power through on reaching your destination, or take a short (one hour) nap.

Now Australia is a different subject: do whatever you can to try to catch a couple of hours of sleep.

Business class does make a big difference. I face very long haul flights - with the total time being anything from 24 hours up to 36 hours as I come from Australia. One strategy is to stop-over for a day en-route. That breaks it down to an 8 hour leg up to Asia and an 11 hour leg to Europe. At places like Kuala Lumpur (which means I am using Malaysian Airlines with pretty cheap fares), there is a hotel at the airport which has comfortable beds, quiet, good food, and space.

You do have a killer flght time for Europe but I think I'd rather stop over in Hawaii or Bora Bora for a few nights and THEN move on to Europe. :D

We are now in our 60's, have been flying long haul 12 to 24hrs almost yearly for the last 20 yrs, all in economy seats. Have stopped doing the 2 x 12hr straight through from NZ to London about 10yrs ago, too tough on body.

We have found 10 to 12hrs ok using the following -

Pick evening departure times so body is ready for sleep.

Pick the best seats possible, we try to get exits to give more leg room of were there is only 2 seats.

Usually eat within 2hrs of getting on plane, one glass of wine, then sleep with pill.

Always get sleeping pills from Doctor, test them a couple of weeks prior.

Also buy a product called "No Jetlag" makes a big difference to the first 24hrs back on land

Eye shades, compression socks (only in last 12 months)

Usually take warm jacket, sometimes use it in colder planes or roll up for pillow if seat is not right.

We usually hit the ground running(perhaps a little slower) at 66yrs

Good Luck, just relax, have fun

Edited by peterdkiwi

We are now in our 60's, have been flying long haul 12 to 24hrs almost yearly for the last 20 yrs, all in economy seats. Have stopped doing the 2 x 12hr straight through from NZ to London about 10yrs ago, too tough on body.

We have found 10 to 12hrs ok using the following -

Pick evening departure times so body is ready for sleep.

Pick the best seats possible, we try to get exits to give more leg room of were there is only 2 seats.

Usually eat within 2hrs of getting on plane, one glass of wine, then sleep with pill.

Always get sleeping pills from Doctor, test them a couple of weeks prior.

Also buy a product called "No Jetlag" makes a big difference to the first 24hrs back on land

Eye shades, compression socks (only in last 12 months)

Usually take warm jacket, sometimes use it in colder planes or roll up for pillow if seat is not right.

We usually hit the ground running(perhaps a little slower) at 66yrs

Good Luck, just relax, have fun

Hi Peter: all good advice, but my concern is that you take a sleeping pill AND a glass of wine. Please check this with your Dr. because alcohol and sleeping pills/tranquilizers can be a very dangerous combination, especially as we get older.

Hydrokitty

No worries, very mild pill, Doctors knows us well and he is ok with one glass.

If you are headed NZ or Aussie send us an email to pad62@xtra.co.nz

I am Kiwi and DW is Aussie so we have travelled both countries a lot, have 6 trips to Aussie this year so no Europe Cruise and looking at 4 to 6 weeks in the US next year

Pete

Hydrokitty

No worries, very mild pill, Doctors knows us well and he is ok with one glass.

If you are headed NZ or Aussie send us an email to pad62@xtra.co.nz

I am Kiwi and DW is Aussie so we have travelled both countries a lot, have 6 trips to Aussie this year so no Europe Cruise and looking at 4 to 6 weeks in the US next year

Pete

No immediate plans for NZ and Australia, although it's on my bucket list. Problem is length of the flights and getting DH past that horrible "flight time #" I'm working on it though and keep pushing how much he wants to return to Hawaii. :D

Do your US plans include NY?

HK

Edited by Hydrokitty

• 1 month later...

I have flown coach to Australia from the west coast of USA frequently for the past 30 years. I have broken it up into segments (Hawaii, Figi, Samoa, NZ) and I have powered through to OZ. Over the years I have put together a musical soundtrack which I keep on a special ipod. I barely put in the ear buds and I am asleep.

Definitely use compression socks

I always carry a sarong which can be a seat liner, blanket, picnic tablecloth, swim cover-up, spare dress, spare skirt, I have even put it on the floor to exercise on the long hauls.

Snacks are important, I was on one long flight and the food was not delivered.

A paper book to use to rest your eyes from screens

A good attitude!