Farewell Celebrity Century (2 Threads Merged)

C 2 C

Bookings for Century sailings are now closed, and the ship no longer appears on Celebrity's booking website. She leaves for her final voyage tomorrow.

It's a sad day for those of us who have sailed on and loved Century.

I hope that she finds a good home in Shanghai.

Farewell%20Century_zps3ccrkf5x.png

Edited by Arno.

Century was one of my favourites as well!

Instead of counting sheep at night, I would 'walk' myself around the decks identifying different areas, etc. Had the ship somewhat memorized in anticipation of my upcoming aging so I wouldn't get lost onboard.

Now, I have to put off getting old until I have the S class decks by rote.:rolleyes:

I loved that ship, too. So elegant and classy. Loved the "secret" aft stairs which led to the Sunset bar...none of the M or S class ships have that... and how interesting to have a small escalator on the high seas.:)

Edited by cadburysmom

My first cruise was on the Century. I remember the taxi ride to the pier in Barcelona. Being dropped off outside the ship, it looked huge. Had a inside on the top deck, while my SIL and DH had a SV.

Oh My! what a wonderful ten days.

The Martini Bar with the sutle changing of the lights, Murano's, Sunset bar area, MDR, meeting people from all over the world while we explored the Western Med and it wonderful ports of call.

Years later ,we did the Panama Canal on the Century with family and friends , now I was in the SV!

It is the end of an era and will miss her and that size of ship in Celebrity fleet.

Does anyone know who bought the ship?

Edited by Azulann

The Century and Mercury were two of my favorite ships. I am sad that the mid-sized ships seem to be slowly leaving, they have a charm and intimacy that the bigger ships, no matter how beautiful, will never be able to replicate.

Farewell Century and may those who sail on you in your new life enoy the voyage as much as we did!

I have a Celebrity brochure announcing, "Celebrity Cruises Presents Century, debuting December 1995 - Allow us to Exceed Your Expectations". It was still available on our first Celebrity sailing on Meridian in 1996. It contains artists renderings of all the public spaces on Century, & announces Michael's Club, their new cigar bar, & her Grand Restaurant, which was, still is, the most striking restaurant that I have ever seen. Our next 2 cruises were on Century in '97 & '98. We last sailed her on a Trans Atlantic to Amsterdam in 2009.

She goes the way of Meridian, Horizon, Zenith, Galaxy, & Mercury.

Time marches on.

She will be missed.

I am in Dubai right now and will board the Century tomorrow for her final sailing for Celebrity. I'm looking forward to a memorable two weeks!

Wish I was on her with you!

She was a lovely ship and I wish Celebrity could have kept her and made her over, back into the small jewel she was meant to be.

I met some of the nicest Cruise Critic people on the Century, and I'm sure the ship had something to do with how easy it was to get to know them.

Fairwell Century, we will miss you.

Goodbye, Celebrity Century. You were the first Celebrity ship I sailed on; unless you count Amerikanis, which was Chandris Lines; it, too had the "X" on the smokestack....

It seems that most, if not all, of the ships I sailed on during the 70s, 80s, and 90s, are now gone. Vistafjord, Sagafjord, Marco Polo, Nordic Prince, Norway, old Star Princess, Norwegian Star, old Rotterdam, Celebrity Galaxy, Celebrity Zenith; and now Celebrity Century.

I will keep the memories in my head of these lovely vessels which allowed me to see the world in comfort and style....

The Crystal Room is still one of the most beautiful lounges on the ocean. It's a cross between a 1940's Hollywood musical set and the Rainbow Room atop the RCA building in NY!

What a lovely, large wooden dance floor! I loved the original Martini Bar too, still nestled in the back corner, but rarely used. You could see everyone come and go from that corner!

Farewell Century, you and your sister, the Mercury, were always like deco oceanliners than cruise ships!

I will miss her very much. I have had many happy sailings on that ship. I still think the restaurant is the prettiest restaurant of all the Celebrity ships. Century was my favorite Celebrity ship for many,many years.

I fell in love with cruising the first time I sailed CENTURY. She was my

first Celebrity cruise back in May 2003. She will be missed for sure......

Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

I fell in love with cruising the first time I sailed CENTURY. She was my

first Celebrity cruise back in May 2003. She will be missed for sure......

Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Hi Lois

My favorite Celebrity ship, loved the wood in the MDR.

We did six cruises on the Century and already miss the ship. The decor was so gracious and I particularly enjoyed how natural light entered so many of the public rooms. The Crystal Room was my favorite lounge over anything I've seen on any of the M- or S-class ships.

Will the staff be transferred to other Celebrity ships? Yes, it's always sad to see a ship leave the fleet. We were only on Century once but we loved the cruise.

We spent thirty-five nights on the Century last fall. Century's sale had already been announced, and it was interesting to me that a great number of the staff already knew which Celebrity ship they would be assigned to next. We left the Infinity last Sunday after forty-two nights on board, and several of the waiters from the Century were moved over to the Infinity while we were there. Also one of our favorite Cova Cafe waiters will be on the Equinox this fall during part of an upcoming B2B2B we have booked on the Equinox; this particular waiter had only worked on the Century so she peppered us with questions regarding the Equinox. The assistant stateroom attendant we had last fall on the Century will also be on the Equinox, while our stateroom attendant knew that he would be continuing with Celebrity but wasn't sure which ship he would join next.

Hi Lois

My favorite Celebrity ship, loved the wood in the MDR.

Hi Don....love the wood all over the ship:)....she is a beauty

and my favorite ship too.

The Century is my favorite ship too. I'm sad she is leaving Celebrity's fleet, but have the memories of many good times on board.

Yes -- the only thing worse than saying good-bye to Century would be to have never sailed on her at all. She is my favorite Celebrity ship! She's the holder of my personal record for "most days sailing on a single ship" -- 26, in all (beating out Radiance of the Seas, with 24 total days). :cool:

My first cruise was on the Century when she was brand new. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced before and I was instantly hooked on cruising. I was fortunate enough to sail on her twice again last year and she was as beautiful as I'd remembered. Century will always be my favorite ship and I am sad to see her go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first cruise was on the Century. I thought she was beautiful and never felt crowded. My favorite spots were the Cova Cafe and the Martini Bar. I'm sorry I didn't cruise on her again.

Fair winds and following seas to her.