Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

So far, I have been very pleased with HAL (remember unlike most ofthe "Gang" this is my first). Only negative so far (and it is minor) is the lack of trays in the Lido.

Plenty of pluses, however. Embarkation was amazingly smooth. Less than an hour from the shuttle dropping me off until I was in my cabin.

Internet service. Westerdam is the only HAL ship right now (according to the tech guy) with unlimited service. $229 for unlimited internet for 16 days! You never have to log off unless you are changing devices. Very, very pleased!

I am in a forward facing OV cabin and I like the layout.

Muster drill at 4:15 and then sail-away. More later.

Thanks for posting. Glad you got through the air fiasco well!

Would love to hear your description of this cabin layout.

Have a great HAL cruise!

Here's what we were able to get. Click on the photo for a big version of the photo, in which you can make out most of the people (if you know who they are and what they look like.) I know that this photo is a little wide, and I apologize. It's really wide when you click it. :)

Underneath the photo is a link to a DropBox shared folder where you can see the photos in full size. They're a tad blurry because the camera was zoomed and the ship was moving. You don't need to login or supply any personal information to view the pictures in DropBox. (It's a file sharing service we use for our business.)

westerdam-banner-small.jpg

Here's the link to the full set of photos on DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eq004vbnaai8lai/AACiU6owWuEDr_4BJLuwf76oa?dl=0

In case you're wondering, I did amp up the color saturation on the photo on this page. I wanted the sky to be blue - and now everyone's already got their vacation tan! The ones in the DropBox folder are normal though.

Great pictures!!

So far, my big surprise for DH has worked out. Now, to hope he doesn't notice the luggage tags. Our TA got us an upsell to the Neptune Suites which I thought was a decent offer so it was done without DH's knowledge (hopefully I'm not divorced today - LOL). I thought it would be a nice early 20th anniversary present for him. If he figures it out at embatkation, no biggie. Since we are 4* anyways, we get the same priority so only the key and the luggage tags (if he notices the piority) will give it away.

Can't wait to hear if hubby was surprised. :)

Happy Anniversary!

Enjoying your blog Scrapnana!... You CAN have your orange juice nightcap.....just pick up an extra fresh squeezed oj in the Lido (at breakfast) and put in your Mini fridge (if you don't mind walking back to your cabin that is...) for later.

Good idea! Thanks for reading my blog!

I bring several travel mugs when I cruise so I can put iced tea, etc., in them and keep them in the fridge...love a late night drink. Love the idea of the juice for later. And I just started reading your blog. Thank you so much for your details. Can't wait to see pictures of your cabin.

Just read your blog Scrapnana....nicely done and that's a great map on **********... First time I've ever seen that....thanks.!!

Edit: Oops...for some reason it wouldn't let me type in the name......???

Edited by Rowsby

Missed the actual sail away, but later that night went on the port web cam and watched the sail away, saw Jacqui & Jose taking pictures. Hope he liked his up grade. Have a good cruise I'll see if I can catch you guys on the Panama web cam. Fair winds & smooth seas.

Allan & Marlane

Day 2 - The Oasis at Half Moon Cay

Wow! :)

what a great place! And to share it with new friends made it even more special. DD, DS and I even saw a hawksbill sea turtle while out in the water. It wasn't afraid so they got a great view of the turtle eating the sea grass and coming up to breathe.

My only complaint was that it was too sunny so I got too much sun. So no complaints after the winter we just had.

Tomorrow is our meet & greet.

Question for those on the Westerdam: Now that the HALCats are gone, who provides the music in the Pirate Ship on Half Moon Cay?

On the Noordam a few weeks ago, it was the steel drum player. They are really getting their money's worth out of this person... Capt Morgan's, Lido Pool, Sea View Pool, Steel Drum lessons every other day ... he is impossible to avoid :eek: Sure hope they change their lineup for the Mediterranean ;)

It was an early day with the alarm set for 2;50 am (I know, why did we go to sleep right?) Taxi gave us a wake up call and was there promptly at 4 a.m to take us to the airport. We got on our puddle hopper (aka tiny plane) on Thursday to connect in Montreal for FLL. Too many bags, but we have about 60 pounds of school supplies and more to buy in FLL.

At Montreal airport we met Lizzier68 and her DH as they were on the same flight. What a nice couple.

As we approached FLL, the pilot announced that it was sunny and 28 degrees. We had big smiles on our faces to hear sun, warmth and see grass and flowers again! No snow! hurrah!

When we got to Embassy Suites, there was sapper1 and her DH. So nice to see them again.

Our room was ready and shortly after dumping our stuff, I headed to the pool area to enjoy the sunshine. And there was 1of4 with the 3 of 4. Great to see her again and meet the other 3 of 4. Had fun chatting and then it was time for the Manager's reception which you don't want to miss.

DH and I were pretty tired so we decided to grab a quick bite at the Outback. Great as we ran into Lizzie & sapper and ate with them but, FWIW we were very disappointed in the Outback and I doubt we would return. The service was incredibly slow and DH and I had to help ourselves to silverware on a nearby table. Food was only so so. Just our experience though.

The next day was a busy one shopping, picking up a couple of last minute toiletries and school supply shopping. Just time for a small break and it was Manager reception time again.

Our roll call met in the ESpot area and we had a great time getting to know each other. You will recognize a lot of sail a way namesA that were there:0bnxshs, sapper1, lizziie68, 1of4, Scrapnana, vict0riann, Solocanadian & Mumsysailor

After the reception, we headed to Kelly's Landing where we were met by POA1, reeni & BobE. I had made a reservation there fro 7:45 and had my email with me. Sadly it didn't do much good. POA1 told me that if restaurants in Florida don't normally do reservations, con't count on them being timely. In order to accommodate us they had to put some on the patio and some in the restaurant.

Since we had already been waiting we didn't have much choice, so the dinner didn't quite go as planned, but the food was very goodl and everyone enjoyed themselves.

It's now Saturday morning and time to shuffle stuff in bags, make room for the new supplies, and figure out how we will carry the wine on board - LOL.

So far, my big surprise for DH has worked out. Now, to hope he doesn't notice the luggage tags. Our TA got us an upsell to the Neptune Suites which I thought was a decent offer so it was done without DH's knowledge (hopefully I'm not divorced today - LOL). I thought it would be a nice early 20th anniversary present for him. If he figures it out at embatkation, no biggie. Since we are 4* anyways, we get the same priority so only the key and the luggage tags (if he notices the piority) will give it away.

Off to get some stuff done and if I have internet later and time I will try to add more.

We'll all be waving with smiles on our faces. The Westerdam many never be the same again :)

Sorry that everything didn't work out as you expected at Kelly's Landing.

How did the "surprise" cabin go for your DH?

Question for those on the Westerdam: Now that the HALCats are gone, who provides the music in the Pirate Ship on Half Moon Cay?

I hope someone can answer that question for you ;)

I had the Oasis booked aka the Grand Cabana for those on the roll call that wanted to do it. The 17 of us had a great time, good food, good drinks and wonderful service. 1of4's children coulld swim withe the life guards watching, some snorkelled, some got in the hot tub and some got on the mats.

a great day I think. Our lunch was delicious IMO. The PG staff took good care of us as did Mario our bar tender. There was nothing they couldn't do for us.

I think we frustrated them as we weren't demanding :)

For my fellow roll call members who so generously offered the use of their showers and as much hot water as we needed... we now have hot water!! AND an almost dry floor AND (drumroll ) full power. Life is good LOL.

Glad to hear that you are no longer on a shipboard camping trip. ;)

For my fellow roll call members who so generously offered the use of their showers and as much hot water as we needed... we now have hot water!! AND an almost dry floor AND (drumroll ) full power. Life is good LOL.

I have never seen anyone so positive and with such a glass half full attitude as Lizzie68. She and I happened to be in the Neptune Lounge at the same time when I discovered on day one she had a flooded cabin and no power. This morning, they had no hot water!

I can tell you that the concierges are very grateful it is her with the issues as she has been so reasonable about everything. I don't know if I could have been as patient as she.

glad to hear you have hot water Lizzie and i hope that there are no more issues with your Neptune Suite for the rest of the cruise.

You and your DH deserve a medal!

Edited by kazu

I am still curious as to what happened in your cabin before you got on the ship???

Omg, what happened:eek:? That sounds ridiculous.

I am still curious as to what happened in your cabin before you got on the ship???

They say a burst hot water pipe. So far I am up 2 appetizer plates, chocolate covered strawberries and a PG dinner!

Edited by Lizzie68