Ovation of the Sea is COMING to Australia & New Zealand!!!

Sydney ports is listing Ovation of the Seas as follows:

15th December arrival 10:00 depart 16th December 6:30pm

then 30th December, 9th January, and finally 23rd January.

Perhaps there is a travel agent famile overnight cruise on 15/16 December?

Not counting the Singapore->Sydney one... seems like only 4 cruises out of OPT and one not coming back to Sydney??

From OPT:-

16 Dec - 14 nights

30 Dec - 10 nights

9 Jan - 14 nights

23 Jan - ?? not coming back to Sydney?

So really only 3 cruises if you don't include the 2 repositioning from and to Asia. If ovation comes from Singapore she will possibly go back to Singapore. They will be popular cruises. Maybe there will be

1 x South Pacific

1 x NZ

1 x Queensland coast that will include Newcastle and Brisbane port stop.

They may stop in tassy as well because based on their press releases they indicated that they would be visiting every port in the region.

After all they will need to get all of the TAs on board at each major port for a famile.

When we cruised on voyager last year the ship was full of TAs for part of the cruise and then at Darwin and Brisbane.

Does anyone know if Ovation of the Seas has tenders?

The Quantum class was supposed to be built so that they can go into places the Radiance can, as since the Voyager class (excluding Radiance class) their ships haven't been able to tender well. Although I haven't seen much evidence of it as the ship doesn't seem to have dedicated tenders and the Quantum and Anthem only seem to tender at CocoCay.

I could see the existing facilities at the ports to be the big issue, since some are pushed to their limits with the Radiance. RC should really start investing in the cruise infrastructure. As they are the only ones who currently need it upgraded and the islands don't really have enough funds to do it themselves.

I have sailed on Oasis, about to sail on Quantum and I am 60 years old. I love the ships with lots of choice. I can find a quiet spot to do the small ship things and find something to entertain me when it strikes my mood.

They offer choice and just watching people of all tastes doing something they enjoy with a smile on their face only enhances my cruise experience.

From the web:

A planned visit of what would have been the biggest cruise liner to ever visit New Zealand has been canned, following yesterday's compromise by Ports of Auckland.

After a months-long stoush, Auckland Council yesterday announced an agreement with Ports of Auckland to proceed with only one of two planned wharf expansions at Bledisloe Wharf - the eastern B2 wharf - and to commit to having it removed if the forthcoming Port Future Study found it to be redundant.

The decision means the 'Ovation of the Seas' cruise ship will not be able to visit Auckland as planned next year.

The ship would have been the largest ever to visit New Zealand, at a length of 348m and a maximum capacity of 4900 passengers and 1300 crew.

"Ports of Auckland has advised that due to the change in its development plans, it will not now be able to accommodate the Ovation of the Seas," Cruise New Zealand chairman Kevin O'Sullivan said.

Link to complete article:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/mammoth-cruise-liner-turned-away-after-ports-auckland-compromise-6305476

We too have sailed Oasis and are about to sail on Allure and Anthem next month. We have also been on Independence twice. As a multigenerational. Raising family, daughter now 13 , my mum now 79, we love the variety on offer on the big

Ships and have never found crowding a problem. The longest by far we had to queue to get off any ship because of crowds was Dawn Princess. Can't wait Ito try Ovation, though we might jump the gun and cruise her in Europe before she gets here,

From the web:

A planned visit of what would have been the biggest cruise liner to ever visit New Zealand has been canned, following yesterday's compromise by Ports of Auckland.............

</snip>

Thank you for the link lighthousemom :)

What a shame :(

Looks like I will have to get the title of this thread changed.

From the web:

A planned visit of what would have been the biggest cruise liner to ever visit New Zealand has been canned, following yesterday's compromise by Ports of Auckland.

After a months-long stoush, Auckland Council yesterday announced an agreement with Ports of Auckland to proceed with only one of two planned wharf expansions at Bledisloe Wharf - the eastern B2 wharf - and to commit to having it removed if the forthcoming Port Future Study found it to be redundant.

The decision means the 'Ovation of the Seas' cruise ship will not be able to visit Auckland as planned next year.

The ship would have been the largest ever to visit New Zealand, at a length of 348m and a maximum capacity of 4900 passengers and 1300 crew.

"Ports of Auckland has advised that due to the change in its development plans, it will not now be able to accommodate the Ovation of the Seas," Cruise New Zealand chairman Kevin O'Sullivan said.

Link to complete article:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/mammoth-cruise-liner-turned-away-after-ports-auckland-compromise-6305476

So I wonder if she'll still come down under at all.

I'm not surprised it has been knocked back. Those massive cruise ships are simply too big. There is no need for them to be that big especially sailing down our way. RCL would have to stump up a pretty big carrot to get them to change their minds. I just can't see it happening.

The other bit of information that is not that Auckland can't take a ship of this size. It can at Jellicoe Wharf, however as the Radio New Zealand article states "The port company said the only alternative was the general cargo Jellicoe Wharf, but it could not afford to keep the wharf clear of cargo for five days around each of the cruise liner's four tentative visits".

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/272605/port-to-turn-away-giant-cruise-ship

So basically, they not going to to make adjustments for a couple of visits and use potential revenue elsewhere.

Edited by icat2000

"Cruise New Zealand chairperson Kevin O'Sullivan said the industry was told facilities would be available regardless of whether the extensions were delayed.

That would have been at the port's cargo wharf.

Now, Mr Sullivan said, the port has told them that was not going to happen as the port's normal cargo work would take up all of the available space.

"What's good for Auckland in terms of cruise shipping is good for the economy of New Zealand," he said.

"If we don't have Auckland, then essentially we don't have a cruise ship industry, so we really need to be working towards some arrangement with Ports of Auckland."

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, which owns Ovation of the Seas, will be in the country next week on a planning visit."

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/272605/port-to-turn-away-giant-cruise-ship

What arrogance! What about all the other cruise ships which already visit Auckland and other NZ ports of call? NZ is already a very popular cruise ship destination.

Edited by MMDown Under

"Cruise New Zealand chairperson Kevin O'Sullivan said the industry was told facilities would be available regardless of whether the extensions were delayed.

That would have been at the port's cargo wharf.

Now, Mr Sullivan said, the port has told them that was not going to happen as the port's normal cargo work would take up all of the available space.

"What's good for Auckland in terms of cruise shipping is good for the economy of New Zealand," he said.

"If we don't have Auckland, then essentially we don't have a cruise ship industry, so we really need to be working towards some arrangement with Ports of Auckland."

The Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, which owns Ovation of the Seas, will be in the country next week on a planning visit."

What arrogance! What about all the other cruise ships which already visit Auckland and other NZ ports of call? NZ is already a very popular cruise ship destination.

I think what he is meaning is that Auckland is the only NZ port that has the infrastructure to handle passenger turnaround , re Hotels, International Airport etc......

With a stop in Auckland they could do what they are doing with the Allure and offer round trip journeys where you can go Sydney to Sydney or Auckland to Auckland and swap out the passengers in smaller groups. They should still fit at Tauranga, Wellington, Picton, Napier and Dunedin.

So I wonder if she'll still come down under at all.

Definitely. Auckland was a visiting port and can be substituted (like Christchurch was), whereas Sydney is the boarding port and prepared for her access some time ago.

I think what he is meaning is that Auckland is the only NZ port that has the infrastructure to handle passenger turnaround , re Hotels, International Airport etc......

Yes, he is representing the cruise travel industry so like many vested interests they typically over-represent the position.

The tourist Industry is pushing hard to get Ovation here..

from this mornings Herald...

Port upgrade vital to harnessing growth of cruise market

Let me be blunt: Auckland's existing port facilities are not big enough.

In the current debate over the development of Ports of Auckland, much has been said about the need to accommodate the bigger container ships that are arriving here, or whether they should go to other ports.

But for the cruise sector, there are no alternative ports. Passengers want to come to Auckland and spend their money enjoying the sights and activities of our biggest city.

Auckland is a vital call on any New Zealand cruise itinerary. It provides the opportunity for passengers from Europe, North America and Asia to fly in or out. And these are the "added-value" cruise passengers who spend extra time and money in New Zealand before or after their cruise.

rest of the article here....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11444342

The tourist Industry is pushing hard to get Ovation here..

from this mornings Herald...

Auckland is a vital call on any New Zealand cruise itinerary. It provides the opportunity for passengers from Europe, North America and Asia to fly in or out. And these are the "added-value" cruise passengers who spend extra time and money in New Zealand before or after their cruise.

rest of the article here....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11444342

Well - that is only true really if the cruises start and finish in a port . I have not looked closely at the Ovation itineraries - but were they not very limited in number and all starting/finishing in Sydney??

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Very true....that's what they advertise for ease of booking with the "milk run cruises', but as you will have noticed with your overseas cruises , passengers come and go from many ports.....you can do sectors or get cruises within cruises. Auckland is a very popular sector turnaround port.

Very true....that's what they advertise for ease of booking with the "milk run cruises', but as you will have noticed with your overseas cruises , passengers come and go from many ports.....you can do sectors or get cruises within cruises. Auckland is a very popular sector turnaround port.

Sorry - I did not make myself clear enough :)

Yes I do understand this - having only recently done a sector of Cunard QE World cruise -- San Francisco to Auckland :) -- but in regards to Ovation specifically, I was under the impression that the cruises being "offered" were only "milk run" cruises from Sydney???

Barry