Walking shoes that don't look like clodhoppers ;)

cowgrrl

We're taking a cruise this summer & its going to involve lots of walking. To further complicate matters, I like to wear skirts sometimes as well.

I'm looking for shoes that can clomp all over Northern Europe but don't look orthopedic. A closed toe & back strap (or fully closed back) will help as well. Thanks!

My favorite summer walking shoes are Dansko sandals. I have the "Elena" model I've been wearing for ~8 years now? I typically travel mostly in dresses in the summer. Those were my main shoes for the Black Sea cruise we did in 2011 - including walking up hundreds of steps at the Meteora Monasteries;)

For days when we might have gone to a beach, I alternated my tevas - the pair I had then had toe covering (I love the Keen style but Keen sandals don't fit me properly).

I don't fly in sandals, so the other shoes I brought were Privo maryjanes that can also walk miles comfortably:p

I LOVE Keens! I have the sandals in alot of colors. But I'm the first to admit that they are a bit clunky looking. I just bought a new style called Keen Rose Leather (also comes in canvas but I thought the leather straps would be more comfy) in black that I'll feel prettier in this summer wearing to work. I haven't worn them yet - still waiting for summer to start.

You'll get alot of suggestions so make your decision based on your taste and comfort level. Good luck!

I guess I should have started my first post with the advice to look for styles of shoes in brands you already know are comfortable on your feet:D We all have different feet and different preferences! And make sure you break your shoes in - WELL - before your trip.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Your thread made me think of the new shoes I purchased. I started a thread about them, just in case someone is looking for this type of shoes. They might be too bulky for your taste though.

I have a pair of Teva's similar to this and walk all over the place in them without any problems. They aren't really bulky, so they don't look terrible with a skirt.

1327949-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I own a couple of pairs of Clarks that aren't too clunky looking. They are of the Maryjane style. I was also looking at purchasing some Naots, which are good walking shoes and come in a lot of cute colors and styles.

I wear flip flops, most of the time. Unless I'm climbing on uneven terrain, anything that's comfy will do. If you're not hiking "off road"...wear any shoe that you like!

You are very lucky if you can wear any shoes for extended walking. Most of my regular shoes are comfortable but still kill my feet and my back if I walk over 2 hours in them. I have more luck with sandals, many will do.

I'm leaving tomorrow... can't wait to put my new shoes to the test again in London ;)

I have a pair of Teva's similar to this and walk all over the place in them without any problems. They aren't really bulky, so they don't look terrible with a skirt.

1327949-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I have the sandals pictured, but in black with a tiny stripe of silver. They are extremely comfortable for sandals (because they are adjustable at every point) but I hesitate to wear them when doing heavy duty walking around cities. For one thing, your feet get filthy. For another, I find it all too easy to get a stubbed toe.

They were great on my SE Asia cruise though, where several times I was going from town to beach and back. (They can get wet with no problem.)

A few of my friends have turned me on to the Skechers Go Walks, I have some that are silver/gray with a pattern that don't look 100% sneaker like. I tried them out on a school field trip last weekend and they were so comfortable. I have neck issues so good shoes are a must when I will be walking a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite for summer are Clark's Sandals. They seem to have the perfect last for my feet. I can walk

miles in most of their sandals.

Edited by sail7seas

1327949-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

These look great. I particularly like the straps have Velcro to adjust comfortably for each foot. :)

Take a look at Jambu -they've got some cute styles that can take a beating. I've got one of my pairs with me now in Italy (discontinued style), and they go over everything in the day and get worn with a dress at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I particularly like the straps have Velcro to adjust comfortably for each foot.

That's why I bought them - I have narrow feet (many of the medium width are just too wide for me), but am getting a bunion on one foot. Why, I have no idea! I am able to adjust the straps so the sandals don't flop around, and also make sure they aren't too tight across the bunion area.

My favorite non-clunky walking shoe is the Merrell Plie Mary Jane, which is now discontinued. I still have 2 pair left from stocking up.:D If you Google "Merrell Mary Jane," you can see the new styles. I like them because they have some arch support, and I've worn them for full days of roaming about cobblestone streets and walking trails without too many aches and pains at the end of the day.

I wore closed shoe and sandals and low dress up heels all over Europe -- SAS, made in Texas. Never did so much walking in my life as I did those 2 weeks -- it was wonderful.

I tried Keens, merrills, Clarks, sooo many more brands

But SAS feel the best. This comes from someone who couldn't walk without pain even just going to the supermarket.

They have stores at the outlets

Some other local stores carry the brand along with others

I also like aerosoles new style with fabric straps and low spongy soles for the beach whispers

But I would suggest trying on as many shoes as you can stand and walk around the stores a while before you decide

Many brands have a HUGE variety of styles. For instance, I have seen (and own) some "sleek" Eccos, but there are also some that I would consider VERY clunky. It's hard to state unequivocally that one brand is all one thing....

Shop shop shop. Look online, shop online, go to a store and try on (if you are able -very hard for me to do for many of the brands I like).

If you shop online, make sure you're not paying more for "free" shipping and returns. See what the prices are on various websites - sometimes paying for shipping and possibly returns is cheaper than buying the same item from a place with "free" shipping.

I live in Northern Europe and only wear dresses and skirts. I love the classic look of these Clark's ballerina flats: http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20351477

I bought them in London out of desperation ofter not packing sensible shoes and have since trekked all over the world in them!

Too funny, I just purchased these yesterday:D...they are quite comfy

but I do not consider them "walking shoes" at all. I plan on wearing

them for my upcoming cruise in the evenings. As for walking shoes?

In my opinion, these are not in that category.