I Wish Princess Would

trinaM

This one's going to be more of a stretch: I wish Princess would offer similar to a Hop On/Hop Off itinerary. Such as: Houston, to New Orleans, to Key West, to Ft. Lauderdale, to the Eastern Caribbean. Or Boston, to NY, to Charleston, to the Bahamas. There are a few itineraries that are sort of like this. This gives you lots of options to B2B. And the ports are legit tourist spots in and of themselves.

And that would be a violation of the federal Passenger Vessels Services Act (sometimes wrongly called the Jones Act) which puts up all kinds of legal roadblocks to foreign flagged ships transporting passengers between USA ports.

If this bothers you write your Congressman/Senator!

And then we have USA posts like Charleston, SC where they build a nice cruise facility and then have locals demanding that they not use the facility (many do not want cruise ships in their community). And then we have the very "bright" folks who build cruise facilities in places like Baltimore and Tampa where many of today's cruise ships cannot fit under bridges to get to the port. Go figure.

Hank

And that would be a violation of the federal Passenger Vessels Services Act (sometimes wrongly called the Jones Act) which puts up all kinds of legal roadblocks to foreign flagged ships transporting passengers between USA ports. Hank

I think the previous poster was referring to a cruise from, say Florida, to Aruba or Bonaire, some foreign port and staying for a week. Then catching a second cruise from Aruba, or wherever, back to Florida. This would be a great way to tour Alaska too, Vancouver to Whittier, tour a week in a rented car or RV, then cruise back.

We're on page 19 now, so I'm going to post as if I had not read through all of those, which I haven't (sorry). Recommend Princess freshen their menu, and include German broetchen (bread rolls) for breakfast, recommend Princess lead the way with GOOD coffee!!!! It would be a first in the cruise industry (If Starbucks can do it why cannot a billion dollar cruise line do so)? Agree with early poster that said Princess should create more sailings from Los Angeles. Agree that more, and unique 14 day sailings are needed. Agree that the menu should include baked ham, roast beef, waffles, good old American cooking!!!! Princess should also rethink their ship design approach (NEED wraparound promenades, etc.) Thanks.

I live in Las Vegas - why can't Princess sail from there to cut down on MY drive or eliminate my need to fly... :D

If Princess would add some San Diego departures, as I have suggested, at least the drive would be generally less congested for you than to San Pedro.

How about some bedside lamps that are actually bright enough to read a book? And yes, we'll spend an extra $5 a week to be able to read in bed.

Jim

Better yet, put them up on the wall behind the bed, with an adjustable swing arm so you can direct the light. That would also free up some table space next to the bed.

...Tampa is a problem because of the bridge...

OT: Not until the ships started getting too big :). HAL's S-class fit under that bridge with a few feet to spare. And I mean a FEW. I stood on the top deck while we went under it. The captain assured us we would clear by at least six feet. I thought he was joking, but he wasn't :eek:.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

Have more Transportation between Close Ports , Such as Vancouver and Seattle.

Sometimes they have Transfers , Sometimes Not...

always have a basic shuttle service at every port from the ship to the closest town

This one's going to be more of a stretch: I wish Princess would offer similar to a Hop On/Hop Off itinerary. Such as: Houston, to New Orleans, to Key West, to Ft. Lauderdale, to the Eastern Caribbean. Or Boston, to NY, to Charleston, to the Bahamas. There are a few itineraries that are sort of like this. This gives you lots of options to B2B. And the ports are legit tourist spots in and of themselves.

I think the previous poster was referring to a cruise from, say Florida, to Aruba or Bonaire, some foreign port and staying for a week. Then catching a second cruise from Aruba, or wherever, back to Florida. This would be a great way to tour Alaska too, Vancouver to Whittier, tour a week in a rented car or RV, then cruise back.

I think tetleytea was proposing to be able to hop off/on at New Orleans after starting in Houston, hop off/on in Key West after boarding in New Orleans, start in Boston and hop off/on in NYC, etc.

All of these are prohibited by US law.

HOHO busses come by every 20 minutes or so. Even if the cruise ship HOHO was allowed, it could be a week or more before one could hop on again.

I read the first half of the posts and didn't see it mentioned:

Real shower doors - not curtains.

I would also like the menus at the specialty restaurants changed up on a regular basis (but don't take off my favorites!).:) I don't think the Crown Grill has changed in years.

I think tetleytea was proposing to be able to hop off/on at New Orleans after starting in Houston, hop off/on in Key West after boarding in New Orleans, start in Boston and hop off/on in NYC, etc.

All of these are prohibited by US law.

Actually, not exactly. Okay yes, it's idiotic that a foreign vessel could not visit two domestic ports. That's just ridiculous. The New England cruises stop in Maine anyway, so not sure what's going on there.

What I mean is, passengers can board a cruise to the Bahamas from either New York, Boston, or Charleston. Those ports happen to be tourist spots, too. So you stop in Charleston, and some passengers fly to Charleston and board there, while the New York passengers can go tour the slave markets and Fort Sumter for the day. The Regal cruise to Copenhagen and Warnemunde already does this, except for the U.S. ports part.

But being able to book B2B's from Houston to Fort Lauderdale and then something else from there to San Juan would be nice as well. I mean--we can already do a repo cruise from LA to Vancouver, and then B2B it to Whittier, USA. Is that really any different?

Edited by tetleytea

Actually, not exactly. Okay yes, it's idiotic that a foreign vessel could not visit two domestic ports.

You need to take that up with the US government. I don't think Princess is in a position to grant your request. It should be easy. Tell the government you think the law is idiotic, and I'm sure they'll change it ASAP just for you.

Actually, not exactly. Okay yes, it's idiotic that a foreign vessel could not visit two domestic ports. That's just ridiculous. The New England cruises stop in Maine anyway, so not sure what's going on there.

What I mean is, passengers can board a cruise to the Bahamas from either New York, Boston, or Charleston. Those ports happen to be tourist spots, too. So you stop in Charleston, and some passengers fly to Charleston and board there, while the New York passengers can go tour the slave markets and Fort Sumter for the day. The Regal cruise to Copenhagen and Warnemunde already does this, except for the U.S. ports part.

But being able to book B2B's from Houston to Fort Lauderdale and then something else from there to San Juan would be nice as well. I mean--we can already do a repo cruise from LA to Vancouver, and then B2B it to Whittier, USA. Is that really any different?

If a non-US flag ship has a "closed loop" voyage (New York to Bermuda to New York for example), it must visit any foreign port to satisfy US Law.

But if it boards passengers in multiple US ports - and possibly disembarks them in multiple US ports - everything gets far more complicated.

US Immigration doesn't want to get involved in determining which pax can leave the ship in one port, but not another, or which are violating US Law no matter which port they want to leave from.

Technically, a repo cruise from LA to Vancouver, then staying onboard the same non-US flag ship from Vancouver to Whittier is NOT legal.

This would be considered an open jaw voyage from LA to Whittier, with a near foreign port call in the middle. Legally a far foreign port call is required for that journey.

But if you study the PVSA regulations, there are exceptions made for US Territories; Guam, Samoa, Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands. It is legal for a non-US Flag ship to cruise from Houston to San Juan. But on that voyage, nobody would be allowed to permanently disembark in Fort Lauderdale. Every passenger would be legally required to continue to San Juan.

That's why ships relocating from New York to the Caribbean often end the voyage at San Juan. A far foreign port call is not required in this case.

You are correct. It is idiotic. But a non-US Flag vessel CAN visit 2 - or many more than 2 - domestic US ports. This is not a problem.

Some Alaska cruises that depart from Vancouver visit 5 or 6 American ports there. That is not a problem.

PVSA only requires that a foreign flag ship that sails from and returns to the same US port MUST visit at least one non-US port. But it can legally visit as many other US ports as it likes.

PVSA further requires that a foreign flag ship that starts from one US port and finishes in a different US port MUST visit at least one non-US port that is on another continent. But it can legally visit as many other US ports as it likes.

Further, a foreign flag ship can begin and / or end a cruise in a non-US port, while legally visiting any number of US ports during the voyage.

And Finally, for PVSA purposes, the law looks only at where YOU - not the ship - started and ended the voyage, to determine if it is legal.

LA to Vancouver is legal.

Vancouver to Whittier is legal.

LA to Vancouver to Whittier (on the same ship) is NOT legal

We have been sailing Princess since 2008 in and out of both Seattle and Vancouver and they have always had transfers between the ship terminals going in and out of the two cities and between the cities. We sail every year out of Seattle.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Make Anytime dining a true one. Do not allow others into dining rooms. Easy enough to check cruise cards. Other lines do it with success.

We have noticed that in the last few years they only seem to check the cruise cards at the anytime MDR the first night and after that we have never had to show our cards again. I doubt that they are that good at recognizing us the next nights.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Have real coffee, instead of the syrup based coffee

They have brewed coffee. You can get it in the IC or one of the bars if no IC. You can also get the specialty coffees. You will have to pay for it or get a coffee card.

Balcony furniture you can stand to sit on!

Blankets if you don't like duvets.

You can ask for blankets.

I wish they would have folding balcony chairs so you could ask for an extra chair if there are more than two people in a room.

I'd like to be able to buy a bottle of liquor for the room. They could sell them for twice or three times the price of the ones that you buy to take off the ship. You used to be able to go to any bar and buy a bottle.

No announcements form the CD during dinner hours. The CD on our last cruise broke into dinner every evening. How annoying was that!

I'd like to be able to buy a bottle of liquor for the room. They could sell them for twice or three times the price of the ones that you buy to take off the ship.

They do (through Room Service) and it is (two to three times the cost).

With all of the 15 day Hawaii round trips they only ever have 4 port days and then back home you go. Once in awhile I would love to see a Hawaii cruise that was longer. 5 or 6 ports (hit 6 Hawaiian ports on the Pacific Princess reposition last september), an overnight port or two etc. Lahaina is a great port to be able to stagger back o the ship quite late!

They are all set up for the Hawaiian ports already and the don't need to do the longer cruises one after another. Just offer one occasionally in between the regular 15 day cruises for those of us who have the time available and want to see more of Hawaii when we go.

They like cruises generally to start and end on weekends as much as possible to work better for passengers who have to book holidays by the week. But the 15 day cruises mess that up. They could use the longer cruise once the departure rotates to Monday and then add a few more days so that it returns on Friday or Saturday and then they are back to a weekend departure and return again.

We have been doing the Vancouver to Hawaii one way cruises and then staying an extra week in Hawaii after we disembark before flying home but this year is the last time until further notice that the one way will be available as Pacific Princess wont be doing Alaska next year due to Ocean leaving the fleet.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector