Toiletry Bags, do you have a favorite?

I'm searching for a new bag that will hold everything. I usually pack several small to medium sized bags tp keep things organized, but this system is out of control. I need 1 big bag with packets and zippered compartments instead of a bag every kind of item. I'm tired of separate bags for make up, hair , jewelry, and toiletries. Then also a beach/pool bag too.

How do you ladies pack all your extra stuff? :)

Thanks!

Ebags Pack-It-Flat is my go to for toiletries on a cruise and longer trips. I like that it's well, flat in the suitcase and holds a ton. And it also hangs on the back of the door. I do have a separate makeup pouch, but it's not huge, just a free one I got as a bonus from Lancome.

Edited by sr4mjc

I use two bags, both were "free." I use a zipper top clear plastic bag that I got filled with travel size goodies as part of a promotion from Kiehl's. It is roughly the same size as a 3-1-1 bag and the airlines have never given me a hard time about using it instead of a quart sized baggie. The other is the bag that came with my amenity kit on British Air. It's just the right size for all the toiletries that don't go into the 3-1-1 including razor, folding brush, cotton swabs, toothbrush, nail file, etc. Make up goes in a third bag which was a freebie from Lancome or Jurlique, depending on what I am taking. I do not take my entire regular makeup bag, only the items I know I will want/need.

Edited by ducklite

My makeup goes in it's own bag in my carry on. For everything else for both of us I have a Samsonite travel bag that I bought years ago. It holds everything I want to put in it and believe me, that is a lot. It has 2 zipper compartments, mesh pockets and a removable pouch with mesh pockets. Both parts can hang over a door or shower as needed.

I bought mine so long ago I don't know if it is still available but LL Bean carries similar bags.

I use a 3 drawer "Sterllite" container (Wal-mart has them)...all of my make up fits...never have to repack..I just take it with me whenever I go somewhere! So easy! I never forget anything, since whatever I use daily is in the container..and it goes with me!

I've downsized my toiletries along with the rest of my packing, so these days I use an eagle creek dopp kitt and then the ziploc with liquids. Makeup, jewelry & hair bands go in a zippered LeSportsac bag. So I actually prefer more smaller bags - easier to pack, get exactly what I want when I want it.

However, since I'm a bag & luggage junky, I still have the other bags I've used. Just in case. I like the midsize LLBean bag and might use this for a road trip where I don't have to separate out liquids - http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?feat=507361-GN2&page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-medium

We also have a couple other similarish Eagle Creek toiletry bags if we want different options (from Sierra Trading Post). My husband uses a Wallaby as his regular travel toiletry bag http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eagle-creek-pack-it-wallaby-toiletry-kit~p~8171k/?filterString=s~toiletry%2F&colorFamily=01

I have this Jack Wolfskin bag (got it when they had a big coupon) but I don't love the burrito fold - makes it awkward for bottle shapes/sizes. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jack-wolfskin-waschsalon-toiletry-bag~p~7547w/?filterString=s~toiletry%2F&colorFamily=02

I use a mans dopp (shaving) kit. It has two exterior zippers & an interior mesh pocket. I keep it packed at all times with medications (prescription & OTC), hair products, my travel hair dryer (tiny but powerful), my travel curling iron, my wine stoppers & wine opener & makeup. One stop shop. It cost me $8 at TJMaxx

FYI--no need for special wine stoppers. Just turn the cork upside down and it will fit back in the bottle. Of course if you are speaking of Bouchons for Champagne, that is a different story.

I had an Eagle Creek toiletries bag that I used for years (at least 15). The most similar thing EC still has is their Original On-Board. Even though it is still in great shape, this Spring, I decided it was time for a new one. I ended up buying 2: Pack-It Specter Quick Trip and a Pack-It Specter Wallaby S. The Specter series is Eagle Creek's ultralight accessories group. I just used the Wallaby S for my trip 2 weeks ago. Held far more than I had. I could have used the Quick Trip. But, the Quick Trip will be handy for my short trips; it has no form, so it will be easy to stuff anywhere. It has a roomy main compartment and 2 other outside zipper compartments.

If you don't want/need the ultralight stuff, EC has the Wallaby and Quick Trip made with their other materials. The Wallaby comes in 2 sizes; the one I have is the smaller one.

I usually do travel light. But, now, as accessories I have "age out", I am picking up the ultralight versions of things. Those few ounces add up when I am trying to stay light enough that I can hoist that bag in all the overheads I encounter on those planes and trains, especially as I get older (I'm now an early 60)

Slidergirl - I remembered you posting about your new EC ultralight nylon bags - when I saw a small zippered bag in blaze orange during a Sierra Trading Post sale a couple months ago, I bought it - it's GREAT to put in my personal item on long flights - when I'm reaching for my mp3 or lip balm or headlamp - it's so easy to find that bright color in my larger bag:D And on trips when I use a tote instead of a backpack as my personal item (as I tend to do for business trips), it's nice to be as lightweight as possible!

Hoyaheel: The Specter pack bags were pretty sweet. I bought the 3-size pack in the Strobe Green. Used the large one to pack the clothes I would change into when I finally landed in Rome - I landed 9 hours before hotel check-in time. I used the medium one to hold my clothes that I was switching into after 5 hours in flight and a 9 hour layover at JFK before my flight to FCO. Kept everything together and easy to just grab and re-pack the dirty stuff in it. The little one I used to put some miscellaneous electronics stuff: Monster Cable Outlets to Go strip, my Apple charger for my iPad Mini, adapters, my ancient cellphone charger (Motorola RAZR circa 2006). Kept it all in one place.

9-11 did away with my collection of toiletry bags. Ours are now quart-size zippy bags and a gallon one for our combined non-liquid things (it is not full but stuffs easier that way). For cruises, I carry something like this for "firstaid" and dry non-prescription medicines:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/32369691044335498/

Do you know you can get tablet-form cough suppressant? Greatest thing for carry-on travellers!

Edited by crystalspin

I use a Wally Bag. I find it large enough to hold what I need and has nice organization. It is near the size of a packing cube so it fits well in my packing since I use folders and cubes.

http://www.ebags.com/product/wally-bags/toiletry-kit/206849?productid=10116342

Shak

Wow. The bag alone is 1 lb!!! (according to the description there on ebags).

Wow. The bag alone is 1 lb!!! (according to the description there on ebags).

That may be why it has a 5 star rating on Durability. Most of the reviews also noted organization and packabilty as an advantage like I do.

No one likes Eagle Creek products more then me. All my luggage is Eagle Creek. I also have Eagle Creek Wallaby bag that is 8 oz but I only used it once. I didn't like the organization of it. I have a couple of Sector cubes too but I prefer the standard ones.

When traveling weight vs functionality is a constant battle but in this case 8 oz more is worth it to me.

Shak

Edited by Shak

DH and I have been using LL Bean toiletry bags for years. My makeup goes in a separate no name make up bag. We each have a medium and I have a large that we used to share, but two mediums work better for us.

Edited by BND

That may be why it has a 5 star rating on Durability. Most of the reviews also noted organization and packabilty as an advantage like I do.

No one likes Eagle Creek products more then me. All my luggage is Eagle Creek. I also have Eagle Creek Wallaby bag that is 8 oz but I only used it once. I didn't like the organization of it. I have a couple of Sector cubes too but I prefer the standard ones.

When traveling weight vs functionality is a constant battle but in this case 8 oz more is worth it to me.

Shak

You do have to be able to deal with non-squared off sides with the Spector bags. They were perfect for what I used them to do. I still have the standard larger cubes from EC that I use for my rolled shirts and pants.

When you are old as I am and travel alone, you learn to love lightweight things. Not too many people around willing to help an old woman with her luggage ;)

You do have to be able to deal with non-squared off sides with the Spector bags. They were perfect for what I used them to do. I still have the standard larger cubes from EC that I use for my rolled shirts and pants.

When you are old as I am and travel alone, you learn to love lightweight things. Not too many people around willing to help an old woman with her luggage ;)

The weight of my bag doesn't change with my choice of the Wally Bag. What does change is I have to make other choices to compensate for its weight. If I have to take one less pair of pants so be it. I still have enough clothing to be comfortable.

I also believe toiletry bags should protect the contents of your luggage in the event of a failure of the damaging contents these bags hold. The Wally Bag is double walled with a thick outer shell and I'll take my chance that the contents of my luggage will not be ruined with this bag in the event of a leak or break.

The OP asked for one bag to hold her toiletries in one bag and I believe the Wally Bag is a good choice.

BTW I am older than you.

Shak

I greatly prefer the type of bag that lies flat when unzipped, allowing you to see everything inside. I pack pretty light, don't need a ton of stuff.

These bags are harder to find than they used to be, but I still like them best. My current one is by LeSportsac, but here's one similar example:

http://www.ebags.com/product/hadaki/coated-makeup-case-pod/247017?productid=10362031

For packing, I usually leave it unzipped (e.g., flat) and slip it into a large ziplock bag for extra security in case of any leaks. It goes in the middle of my suitcase so clothes protect it from bumps or pokes.

Lightweight and organized. What's not to like? ;)

A few things I absolutely cannot do without go into my quart sized bag, including my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.

I greatly prefer the type of bag that lies flat when unzipped, allowing you to see everything inside. I pack pretty light, don't need a ton of stuff.

These bags are harder to find than they used to be, but I still like them best. My current one is by LeSportsac, but here's one similar example:

http://www.ebags.com/product/hadaki/coated-makeup-case-pod/247017?productid=10362031

For packing, I usually leave it unzipped (e.g., flat) and slip it into a large ziplock bag for extra security in case of any leaks. It goes in the middle of my suitcase so clothes protect it from bumps or pokes.

Lightweight and organized. What's not to like? ;)

A few things I absolutely cannot do without go into my quart sized bag, including my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.

My "sister"… same again. But, I never thought of packing my bag flat. Great idea! And, like you, any things that I absolutely can't do without (or buy at a local store when I arrive) goes into my Kippie Bag, including my Laura Mercier ;) That is usually a function of traveling carry-on, so the Kippie Bag is separate from the toiletries bag… If I do need something, there is at least one Sephora in every major city in Europe or a department store with cosmetics counter or the ubiquitous green cross "pharmacy" :)

I use a TSA approved bag called a flanabag. It is available on etsy and other sites. I actually use a variety of these, one for liquids, others for chargers etc and jewelry. They are clear and I can see everything I need. I have had some for over two years and they are still perfect.