Gratuities to Increase

EpcotBill

Regarding this I just had a thought.

Suites are larger than any of the other cabins so I understand the higher gratuity.

But Concierge and Aqua class staterooms are EXACTLY the same size as standard cabins (at least on S class) so do stewards have fewer rooms to be responsible for, thus justifying the extra charge?

(And I do realize it's only .50 more but just wondered)

(On most lines higher category cabins are also larger but this isn't the case on Celebrity so I was just wondering.) :confused:

And, also, what's with the .95 and .45 - why not just round up to the next dollar????

Not sure, but heard that the Concierge class get a fruit plate and a snack plate delivered every day (this from family), my one and only was an ocean view room. not sure about aqua class. I also agree they should just round things up to the nearest dollar. I have a real estate friend though who insists that a house priced at 399.000 will sell quicker than one at 400.000, so maybe this?

Edited by Suzegoescruisin

Not sure, but heard that the Concierge class get a fruit plate and a snack plate delivered every day (this from family), my one and only was an ocean view room. not sure about aqua class. I also agree they should just round things up to the nearest dollar. I have a real estate friend though who insists that a house priced at 399.000 will sell quicker than one at 400.000, so maybe this?

I've heard the same thing about prices in stores.

"People " think $3.95 is significantly less than $4.00.

HOWEVER, that's when you have a choice.

These gratuities are added to your account, you're not purchasing them.

And for those people trying to figure out their bills, it would be a lot easier to , say, just multiply $13 x 7 than $12.95 x 7.

(And I DO know that I can multiply the $13 and then subtract the .35 but it just seems ridiculous)

Edited by chamima

And for those people trying to figure out their bills, it would be a lot easier to , say, just multiply $13 x 7 than $12.95 x 7.

in the UK we do these calculations in our heads coz retailers have done this for decades.

We also have electronic devices that can do them for us [emoji12][emoji636][emoji636]

Edited by gcgold

(And I DO know that I can multiply the $13 and then subtract the .35 but it just seems ridiculous)

So in a restaurant on land working out your tip as a percentage of the bill is what exactly?

Surely it would be easier if the price on the menu was the price you paid - everything included.

The new rates are not a big increase per person per day, but I think it works out at around an 8% increase in gratuities. I am sure we all agree the staff work very hard and deserve a good rate of pay, but somehow I don't believe X are going to be giving their staff an 8% pay rise and if it is not all going to be passed on to the staff, I don't see how Celebrity can justify a cost increase in these days of almost zero inflation.

I also wonder if they will be able to implement it in all countries. Celebrity have agreed to provide a cruise for us at a particular price and we have paid a deposit - which is non-refundable for Brits. We have booked select dining, so the gratuities are not optional and are shown on our invoice. I am no expert on consumer law, but I doubt that Celebrity UK will be allowed to increase the price once the deposit has been paid and the confirmation invoice issued. We will just have to wait and see what happens!

Edited by Suzy Smith

So in a restaurant on land working out your tip as a percentage of the bill is what exactly?

Surely it would be easier if the price on the menu was the price you paid - everything included.

Just speaking for myself but I double the amount of the bill, move the decimal point and then round up or down commensurate with the service I received.

It's pretty easy.

The new rates are not a big increase per person per day, but I think it works out at around an 8% increase in gratuities. I am sure we all agree the staff work very hard and deserve a good rate of pay, but somehow I don't believe X are going to be giving their staff an 8% pay rise and if it is not all going to be passed on to the staff, I don't see how Celebrity can justify a cost increase in these days of almost zero inflation.

I also wonder if they will be able to implement it in all countries. Celebrity have agreed to provide a cruise for us at a particular price and we have paid a deposit - which is non-refundable for Brits. We have booked select dining, so the gratuities are not optional and are shown on our invoice. I am no expert on consumer law, but I doubt that Celebrity UK will be allowed to increase the price once the deposit has been paid and the confirmation invoice issued. We will just have to wait and see what happens!

You have some really good points.

It's called gratuity so should, in theory, be going JUST to the crew on board.

But is there anyone that monitors this?

The crew isn't going to say anything- they'd lose their jobs. :(

It is a suggested amount that is charged to your on board account each day. Nothing we are 'required' to pay. You can always go to the CSR and have it lowered if you feel the service was not worth the additional .95 cents spread between 4 people. No price increase in the cruise fare.

It is a suggested amount that is charged to your on board account each day. Nothing we are 'required' to pay. You can always go to the CSR and have it lowered if you feel the service was not worth the additional .95 cents spread between 4 people. No price increase in the cruise fare.

the confusion to me as a dim brit is summed up in the penultimate sentence . 4 people . if that is correct then i am happy to pay even more.

As we are in select dining, it is a a set amount (not a suggested amount) and we definitely are "required" to pay before we board the ship. The gratuities are shown on our invoice as part of the total cost of our cruise. I agree that for those on traditional dining, where the gratuities are charged to their onboard account daily, that is a different situation.

You can always go to the CSR and have it lowered if you feel the service was not worth the additional .95 cents spread between 4 people. No price increase in the cruise fare.

.95 spread between 4???

the confusion to me as a dim brit is summed up in the penultimate sentence . 4 people . if that is correct then i am happy to pay even more.

I, too, am confused as our extra gratuities for the 4 of us will be .95 x 4 x 14= $56 (rounded up for convenience, before anyone corrects me). I'm not complaining, just saying I don't understand the 'spreading' part :confused:.

Additionally, I think Suzy is trying to make the point regarding booked cruises with invoices showing the 'old' gratuity amount as a total bill (which is very common in the UK), and then X updating with the new rate at final payment time. Basically, changing the initial agreed amount for the cruise package, which has been confirmed by a non-refundable deposit. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Edited by villauk

where does it say they are getting a raise. I think that's not the case. I think the money will go to whatever the cruise wants it to go to. That's why cash is king and I'll tip those that serve me in cash and remove the DSC as long as it's still allowed to be removed.

We had some people(trust me, NOT friends)who traveled with our group,that removed the auto tip near the end of the cruise & stuck it back in their pocket. I told them point blank if they ever traveled with me on a cruise again, I'd boot them over the side of the ship.Just the worst possible scum. The staff positively bent over backwards trying to please them. Finally, I kicked them out of our table for 8 & told them to eat in Kings court(Queen Mary 2). I almost decked one of them on the bus ride back home.

We had some people(trust me, NOT friends)who traveled with our group,that removed the auto tip near the end of the cruise & stuck it back in their pocket. I told them point blank if they ever traveled with me on a cruise again, I'd boot them over the side of the ship.Just the worst possible scum. The staff positively bent over backwards trying to please them. Finally, I kicked them out of our table for 8 & told them to eat in Kings court(Queen Mary 2). I almost decked one of them on the bus ride back home.

What a silly comment! This individual had the right to tip whatever they wanted.

As we are in select dining, it is a a set amount (not a suggested amount) and we definitely are "required" to pay before we board the ship. The gratuities are shown on our invoice as part of the total cost of our cruise. I agree that for those on traditional dining, where the gratuities are charged to their onboard account daily, that is a different situation.

You are not required to dine in Select dining which might impact the requirement, but it is an interesting point.

In the end it is the same, you can go to the front desk and take away anything added to your on board account. Yes being in Select they require you pre pay the grats, but can not require that you leave them in place. If you feel the .95 cents is unwarranted, take it away from the 2 cabin Stewards, and the 2 servers in the Select area of the MDR. Keep it for what ever you need it for.

The daily grat amount is disturbed between the 2 cabin stewards, and the 2 servers in the dinning room.

.95 spread between 4???

I, too, am confused as our extra gratuities for the 4 of us will be .95 x 4 x 14= $56 (rounded up for convenience, before anyone corrects me). I'm not complaining, just saying I don't understand the 'spreading' part :confused:.

t.

The daily grat is distributed between 4 people that service you, the cabin Steward and his assistant, and the dinning room waiter and his assistant.

Thus the .95 cent increase is spread out to 4 people, .24 cent per person per day. Go to the front desk and have it removed if your level of service is not worth the extra .24 cents per service person per day. Keep it.

Somebody has anger issues. What gives you the right to kick someone out of a table in the dining room? Maybe the crew bending over backwards for them wasn't enough. You are judged, and tipped based on results, not effort.

Were you there?? No you were not! These people treated the staff & all of us like trash. Needless to say they are NOT welcome at family events. Anger issues? Perhaps, but totally annoyed with someone like you who feels they know what's the right way to handle an issue when you were not involved. We took a vote & told this couple(mother & spoiled rotton son)to dine elsewhere, as we were tired their behavior. They were not welcomed at the other tables as well. We were a group of 50. If 48 others refused them at their respective tables, maybe that should tell you something. As to the staff..Well they tried everything..all types of orders off menu etc. I won't tolerate staff being abused. Judging by your comment, one wonders if that's ok with you! The rest of the relatives told us these 2 just enjoy making life miserable for others.

You are not required to dine in Select dining which might impact the requirement, but it is an interesting point.
You are required to dine in Select if traditional is 'full', as mine was for a cruise I booked departing in August 2017 (yeah, right.) The cynical among us would suggest that traditional is deliberately 'full' early on to make sure that as many as people as possible are forced to prepay grats.

What a silly comment! This individual had the right to tip whatever they wanted.

The problem is they did NOT tip. They took the auto gratuity & stuck it back in their pockets & bragged about it. Pretty disgusting, I'd say! The staff was outstanding & these 2 were the worst behaved people I've come across in a long time.

You are required to dine in Select if traditional is 'full', as mine was for a cruise I booked departing in August 2017 (yeah, right.) The cynical among us would suggest that traditional is deliberately 'full' early on to make sure that as many as people as possible are forced to prepay grats.

Where did you book Celebrity sailing for the summer of 2017?

I did not know those itineraries are posted.

I can only find ones thru MAR/APRIL 2017.