What should be included in basic fare

Everyone can "want" what they want, but the reality is, the only way they've been able to keep prices down over the years is by cutting things. People demand lower cruise prices and then complain when things are cut. Are you prepared to pay more for everything everyone asks for even if it's things you personally don't want?

Ask anyone here who cruised in the 80's what it cost then and they'll tell you that it's about what it costs now which explains a lot. Most who cruise now would rarely, if ever be able to cruise if the rate of increases of costs, what was included then, and inflation were applied to the costs from then.

So in simple terms, the only way the cruise lines can fill up their multiple mega sized ships is to do just what they are doing.

I did the mixology class on Oasis. It was a little pricy at $29, but you did get 4 half size martinis. :p

I feel that if it was a no charge event it would have been overcrowded to say the least. Maybe charging a fee is a method of crowd control.

I guess they could include it with the drink package or as an upper tier or suite event.

Yeah, the same method they used to supposedly control the crowds at Johnny Rocket's which was once included. The cruise lines are imaginative enough to come up with all sorts of new concepts for their new ships but they can't figure out any other means of crowd control other than to get their hands in your wallet.

If some of you are so bothered by the tipping policy, just pre-pay and get over it.

With regards to the olden days, basically a cruiser is getting more for the buck when one considers entertainment options, ambiance of the newer ships, and today's cruising flexibility whether dining or other activities. Remember, larger ships provide more flex.

I agree with you that cruising includes everything I expect and want for the price. My wife & I do not drink so I don't agree with drinks should be included. Sorry I don't want to pay for others drinking, that's what the drink package is for.:)

I don't agree with this logic.

Following that logic, they shouldn't include the flow riders, zip lines, MDR food, or production shows because some cruisers don't enjoy those things either.

A compromise for including the drinks would be to limit them to XX number per day per passenger (perhaps 4), and anything above that is a la carte. Just a thought....

Okay, I'll take the opposite view, just for discussion's sake.

Maybe very little should be included in the base price. Maybe the base price should get you a room, basic meal offerings, and some of the entertainment options. Then everything else should be available for purchase, either a-la-carte, or as part of a variety of packages.

This is kind of what they do now, but I would argue that it's not the charges but the delivery of the information that is lacking. Give me a clear, up front and accurate list of what is and is not included, and show my all my options up front as to what I can choose to purchase, and I'll be happy.

Everyone has different wishes. Some don't drink, while others enjoy a beverage package. Some are content with basic sustenance, and others look forward to grand gourmet fare. Why must we try and make it one size fits all?

Again, what I want is clear, and accurate up front indication of what is and is not included. Then I can fairly determine what I will need to spend to have the experience I want. At that point, like anything else, I can decide if it's worth it.

The problem with wanting to include more, is there is no such thing as a free lunch. You're going to pay for it one way or another. And the more you include, the more likely you're paying for something you won't use.

I would have no problem with that, provided they didn't use it as an excuse to increase total revenue/

Or they didn't use it as an excuse to Loudly 'Hawk' the extras 24 -7.:mad:

But who am I kidding, If Royal did include just the basics it would be like sailing for a week inside a K Mart store. "Royal Cruisers - Mixology Special in Aisle 3":D:p :mad:

My question to fellow cruisers is.....what are some of 'added value' things that you feel should be on a cruise and included in your cruise fare? Are these things not included, and if not what would you pay to have them included?

include gratuities in the base price and thus make them non removable.

everything else should stay as is. if you want 'all inclusive' there are many premium cruise lines that market themselves as such.

Soda at lunch and dinner is something I'd like to see included in the basic fare. Tired of having to go back to my Stateroom to get the RFID chipped cup, then having to wait 15 minutes for a refill with the Coke Freestyle machines.

My wife used to question why soda was not included in base fare, usually while waiting in line to buy the package. Now she no longer drinks soda. I'll bet she no longer thinks it should be included.

I like things just the way they are. Not a big drinker, so perfectly willing to pay for a package or individual drinks. Same thing for soda - don't drink - iced tap water is fine for me, also available lemonade, milk, coffee; probably drink more water than anything.

Having gratuities billed to my Seapass card is simple and I know the amount ahead of the cruise. Perfectly happy to tip extra as needed, e.g room service, staff who exceed the norm.

Even though I may not use all the "entertainment" type options I do not feel a charge should be made - as far as I am concerned the entertainment is part of a cruise, like food and room; example, I will never use the flow rider, but have enjoyed watching others.

I think the balance now is pretty good, except for grats which I feel should be part of the base fare.

When drinks packages etc are "included in price", all that really happens is the price has been raised to allow for that. I like a drink or five but what about the people who dont? They are paying for something they dont want. I wouldn't use the internet, so my fare is raised for something I dont want. Lots of ships have things like Learn to Cha Cha - and half the ship turn up to it, so you dont really learn to cha cha because there is no room! Doesnt matter for a bit of a basic dance lesson - but for something where you might need supervision, eg Yoga, I think $$ is fine because it keeps the classes at a manageable size, and makes it more likely that you will get a proper session.

I don't agree with this logic.

Following that logic, they shouldn't include the flow riders, zip lines, MDR food, or production shows because some cruisers don't enjoy those things either.

A compromise for including the drinks would be to limit them to XX number per day per passenger (perhaps 4), and anything above that is a la carte. Just a thought....

Let's expand that list a bit. ;)

Adventure Ocean

Pool chairs

Pool towels

Gym

Solarium

Movies / TV

Trivia

Karaoke

Any others :what:

....Even though I may not use all the "entertainment" type options I do not feel a charge should be made - as far as I am concerned the entertainment is part of a cruise, like food and room; example, I will never use the flow rider, but have enjoyed watching others.

Hmmmm? On land we pay to go see a good Horror, or is that a Comedy movie.:p:D

My question to fellow cruisers is.....what are some of 'added value' things that you feel should be on a cruise and included in your cruise fare? Are these things not included, and if not what would you pay to have them included?

BTW, I'd like to thank Paulete3028 for the idea to start this thread

Let's expand that list a bit. ;)

Adventure Ocean

Pool chairs

Pool towels

Gym

Solarium

Movies / TV

Trivia

Karaoke

Any others :what:

Exactly. That's where I was going with this.

IMHO, I am happy with what's included now. I would agree that tips are more of a service charge, and to me, those should probably be included with the basic fare. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with what's included now. I will say, though, that most hotels, and even motels include wifi in their cost. That would definitely be nice. :)

I did the mixology class on Oasis. It was a little pricy at $29, but you did get 4 half size martinis. :p

I feel that if it was a no charge event it would have been overcrowded to say the least. Maybe charging a fee is a method of crowd control.

I guess they could include it with the drink package or as an upper tier or suite event.

I was thinking the same. I love to do the activities like martini seminar or mixology class. If it was a way to get free booze, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the bar... :eek: The last one I did was only $20, and it got us a glass of bubbly, while the bartender was getting everything set up, four half-size martinis during the class, and one full-size martini of our choice at the end. So, that was a relative bargain at $20.

include gratuities in the base price and thus make them non removable.

everything else should stay as is. if you want 'all inclusive' there are many premium cruise lines that market themselves as such.

I agree. Just roll the gratuities into the price of the stateroom and call it a day. What are people going to do? Ask for an itemized list- The bed costs x? The closet costs x? The toilet paper costs x? Just make it part of the fare and be done with it.

Tipping is so subjective anyhow as it relates to what is "WOW." What I might consider "above and beyond," someone else might consider expected or bare minimum. What I might consider worthy of a high tip, others might consider not even worthy of mention.

We had a fabulous server in Chops Grille on Freedom. We went back for a second night and even requested him. We were talking to another couple who had been in the restaurant on the same night, and felt that this same waiter was inattentive and just barely did his job. They felt he should not have been given any gratuity. We felt he warranted extra gratuity on each night, AND a WOW at the end of the cruise.

Some bathroom amenities would be nice, I just got off the Liberty OTS, all it had was shampoo in a dispenser, no conditioner, there was no back up bar of soap, when the shower bar of soap became a sliver you had to reach out and get the one from the sink, thankfully bathroom size made that an easy maneuver:) . Only then would a new bar be placed in the cabin. They are slowly taking things away, I don't see them adding any of the requests any time soon. For me, I think its time to step up a notch or two in cruise lines, maybe Carnival :D

I would like more crew members; i.e. cabin attendants having less rooms (cleaner rooms, time to wash down the balconies, etc.) and wait staff to have less tables assigned and more bar, WJ staff, etc. I would like better food quality and variety. I would also like furniture and bedding replaced when they are worn out. These would be worth $15 to $20 more per day/ per person to me. I like the idea of including the gratuities in the cost but that is basic math, so not a big deal either way. Just saw the bathroom amenities post and I totally agree!

Edited by NemoCrownie

I was thinking the same. I love to do the activities like martini seminar or mixology class. If it was a way to get free booze, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the bar... :eek: The last one I did was only $20, and it got us a glass of bubbly, while the bartender was getting everything set up, four half-size martinis during the class, and one full-size martini of our choice at the end. So, that was a relative bargain at $20.

Mine was $25 plus tip, so it came to $29 and change. One nice thing they allowed was letting my wife sit in without paying. She wasn't able to drink

BTW, it was held on Rising Tide, very small venue. Drawback was the doors kept opening when we parked it in Central park

Edited by John&LaLa

Some bathroom amenities would be nice, I just got off the Liberty OTS, all it had was shampoo in a dispenser, no conditioner, there was no back up bar of soap, when the shower bar of soap became a sliver you had to reach out and get the one from the sink, thankfully bathroom size made that an easy maneuver:) . Only then would a new bar be placed in the cabin. They are slowly taking things away, I don't see them adding any of the requests any time soon. For me, I think its time to step up a notch or two in cruise lines, maybe Carnival :D

We bring our own shampoo/conditioner as we know what we are using. With regards to soap, just ask your cabin steward for extra soap, just like we ask for extra bath towels. No big deal.