Hypothetically

We are doing a B2B on Celebrity. If we took some liquor in our suitcase and it was discovered.

We understand it is taken from us and returned at the end of the cruise. So we would get it back at the end of the first cruise and would have it for our second cruise.

Anyone had that experience?

I have no experience but it is an interesting concept. I guess my question to you is "why" try? Certainly if you can vacation a few bottles of alcohol aren't going to break the bank and do you want to have to see the employees around the ship that know you tried to cheat? We've ordered the in room bar set up before and have never regretted the decision despite the charge. I wouldn't embarrass myself for the price of two bottles by smuggling :cool: but to each their own.

Edited by Jane2357

We are doing a B2B on Celebrity. If we took some liquor in our suitcase and it was discovered.

We understand it is taken from us and returned at the end of the cruise. So we would get it back at the end of the first cruise and would have it for our second cruise.

Without trying to bash you, or start a confrontation, what is the obsession with "SNEAKING" liquor in your suitcases? I know there are many, many people with more cruising experiences than I, but I've never been on a ship that ran out of ALCOHOL. Cruise prices have gone up, I get that. If I can't afford the cruise, I stay home. Is it the excitement of doing something against the rules? Again, I have no dog in the fight, just trying to understand the psyche. That's all, I'm done ranting.

Hypothetically speaking you would get you bottles back at the end of the cruise. Then you would hypothetically declare them, or not, at Customs and then hypothetically take you bags out to the embarkation area where you would open them back up right there on the sidewalk to re-pack said bottles right beside your undies. And then you would hopefully tip your porter well for your overweight bags. Then hypothetically you would re-board the ship and be greeted by the wonderful crew again who hypothetically will be asking themselves; "Why aren't Mr. and Mrs. Smith drunk as skunks? They just left the ship an hour ago with two full bottles of booze? Hmmmmm?":confused::confused:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Someone recently posted a Beverage FAQ in this forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2167294

According to CC member who compiled that info, it sounds like if you try to board with booze, it will be confiscated and NOT returned. (The temporary confiscation/return is only for liquor purchased in ports.) Here's the wording from the FAQ:

Can I bring alcoholic beverages aboard with me?

Yes, but it is restricted. You may bring up to two standard-sized (750 ml) bottles of wine per stateroom on board at embarkation. Other alcoholic beverages (beer or spirits) that is brought on board at embarkation will be confiscated and will not be returned.

If you purchase alcohol on board the ship or at a port of call, it will be temporarily confiscated and returned to you on the last night of the cruise.

You weren't writing about a hypothetical. You were writing about an "accident". You "accidentally" left two bottles of liquor in your luggage. The cruise line would say that you would get them at the end of the last cruise(no matter how many b2bs), but you most likely would get them at the end of the first cruise.

I have no experience but it is an interesting concept. I guess my question to you is "why" try? Certainly if you can vacation a few bottles of alcohol aren't going to break the bank and do you want to have to see the employees around the ship that know you tried to cheat? We've ordered the in room bar set up before and have never regretted the decision despite the charge. I wouldn't embarrass myself for the price of two bottles by smuggling :cool: but to each their own.

My answer is "why not try?" It's not a question of being able to afford a few bottles. It's the possibility of saving a few shekels vs. knowing if you get caught, they will take it away. So be it, it wouldn't ruin my cruise if they took it away. I seriously doubt that the employees around the ship, with thousands of people on it, are whispering "See those people over there; they tried to sneak booze onto the ship".

Yes, it's against the rules. So are plenty of things that people do. I'm sure everyone speaking out against doing this have never broken a rule before. No savings chairs at the pool. No longer than 30 minutes gone from the pool area before your chair is up for grabs (don't know if this is a rule on Celebrity). No savings seats in the theater. Everyone breaks rules to some extent. It's a matter of opinion which rules being broken are "wrong" And those who say they don't, well they're either a Saint or liars; I'll go with the latter.

Yes, it's against the rules. So are plenty of things that people do.

Not weighing in on whether smuggling booze is ok or not. In the words of Bagger Vance, that may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard ... ever.

If you purchase liquor in the Duty Free shops onboard, they will hold it until the last night. Not sure if they deliver to your room or you have to go pick it up. But if they don't know you are doing a B2B, you would then have it legally on the second leg. EM

While I have never done a B2B so I have no experience with this, some people have reported purchasing liquor onboard or in the ports during their first cruise. It is then given to them the last night of their first cruise so they then have it for the second cruise.

This is only something I have read, not something I have experienced.

Not weighing in on whether smuggling booze is ok or not. In the words of Bagger Vance, that may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard ... ever.

Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy your weekend.

A couple of years ago I did a b2b on the Summit. We purchased alcohol on board during the first cruise, thinking we would get it at the end of the second cruise. The alcohol was delivered to our stateroom the last night of the first cruise, and when asked, our stateroom attendent said it was not a mistake. We were able to enjoy it in on our second cruise. Still not sure if this happens all the time, but this was our experiance.

I do apologize for my stupidity, you are correct in your response

Hey now, no need to apologize; I know plenty of people who have tried smuggling their own booze aboard various ships...some have succeeded, others have had their liquor confiscated before boarding. It seems to be hit or miss.

I was only sharing what I read in the FAQs, which were compiled by a Cruise Critic member based on Celebrity's official FAQs plus additional info found on forum threads. If her FAQs are accurate, I just wanted you to be aware there's a chance they could confiscate the booze and NOT return it.

We were fortunate to have booked when they were offering their free beverage package deal, so we'll be getting all of our drinks at the bars. I can see how $50-$60 per person per day for the entire length of your cruise is pretty steep versus just bringing a couple of bottles on board...but keep in mind you can always opt into a beverage package at a pro-rated amount up until the last few days of your cruise. So if you're not able to bring your own liquor aboard, that might be an option for you.

Ok... I have a question. With the all of the opportunities Celebrity has provided for a free classic drink package since 2013, how did you manage to miss the many opportunities that they offered this promotion? I'm not judging I have walked on to Princess ships with bottles that I purchase right outside of the check in desk. I'm just surprised that anyone needs to be bothered shlepping any type of beverage on a Celebrity ship these days.

LOL....you must live a very sheltered life if that's the "dumbest" thing you ever heard

"Ok... I have a question. With the all of the opportunities Celebrity has provided for a free classic drink package since 2013, how did you manage to miss the many opportunities that they offered this promotion? I'm not judging I have walked on to Princess ships with bottles that I purchase right outside of the check in desk. I'm just surprised that anyone needs to be bothered shlepping any type of beverage on a Celebrity ship these days."

The packages are not offered on every cruise -- transatlantics, transpacifics and repositioning cruises are notable exceptions but there are others as well

Was the 1-2-3 package ever offered to the inside cabin folks? There are a lot of them :)

We've done several B2B cruise, though none Celebrity. We just purchased what we wanted from the store the last night of the first and took it back to the cabin.

We also never removed any baggage from he ship to go through customs on a B2B -- maybe that happens in some port somewhere, we've never heard of it.

Edited by CRUZBUDS

The packages are not offered on every cruise -- transatlantics, transpacifics and repositioning cruises are notable exceptions but there are others as well

The OP is doing a B2B so this would not be a reposition or Transatlantic cruise.

Was the 1-2-3 package ever offered to the inside cabin folks? There are a lot of them :)

We've done several B2B cruise, though none Celebrity. We just purchased what we wanted from the store the last night of the first and took it back to the cabin.

We also never removed any baggage from he ship to go through customs on a B2B -- maybe that happens in some port somewhere, we've never heard of it.

I recall only once the package was included for inside staterooms and it was for a limited time.However many times it was more cost effective to book an ocean view if you planned on drinking anything at all. It seems from the original post that the OP does plan to drink. Celebrity's drink prices for even soft drinks is higher than other lines. Even if you don't drink $50 a day it would cost to buy a package it certainly would pay to upgrade to an ocean view just to get the classic package included. Perhaps the op booked a lower last minute price that didn't include any perks.

The OP is doing a B2B so this would not be a reposition or Transatlantic cruise.

Sure it could. First cruise is from Venice to Barcelona and the second is a repositioning cruise from Barcelona to Miami. Or, the first could be from Miami to Amsterdam, and the second a Baltic round trip cruise to and from Amsterdam.

No, X is smarter than that. I thought that I would buy a bottle of whiskey on our first cruise then pick it up the last night and have it for the B2B, no, that doesn't work.