On Live froms....

CanICruiseSoon

[quote name='TracieABD']As a person who writes "live froms", I actually love the feedback. Otherwise, it gets lonely out there in cyber-space

I am sailing in two weeks and have every intention of writing a "live from". I hope that lots of people chime in. It makes the cruise feel a little like a party![/QUOTE]

I love reading the live threads and like to give feedback to show that I appreciate the time and effort the OP has taken to give us live reports. [emoji2]

[quote name='Pia1913'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]As a person who has done LIVES for many years, I need the input. Otherwise, if I couldn't answer questions, it would get boring. However, it is time consuming and uses precious minutes reading all the posts, especially when people start talking to each other. [/FONT] Limiting chit chat not relevant would help.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Pia
Can't you download the pages and read them and respond off line then reconnect and post your response?
This would save Internet minutes.

[quote name='paddingtonbear']Pia
Can't you download the pages and read them and respond off line then reconnect and post your response?
This would save Internet minutes.[/QUOTE]

I do write most of my stuff off line and then copy and paste. However, my netbook that I have used is out of date and I therefore will need to buy something new. That being said, inasmuch as our travels have been medically curtailed, I don't need a new one. :)

[quote name='CanICruiseSoon']Please dont bash me, I am not trying to be rude. I just love reading the posts of the person sailing at the time...but was always thinking...when someone does a LIVE FROM...can't we just have that person just post one right after the other and not everyone responding on separate posts. Example...thank you for posting, etc, etc. Unless it is a question in reference to finding out something about the ship.

Trust me, I know you are all being pleasant but lets just read their posts. It would make it much easier to follow the cruiser.
I am sure this will be deleted anyway.[/quote]

I agree with you. I enjoy the "Live From" threads but soon become bored with all the "thank you" responses that don't actually add anything to the thread. It just slows down the momentum. Does the author really need that sort of feedback on an hourly, daily basis? Asking questions and finding the answers from other readers on these types of threads are totally OK, in my opinion, as they can be helpful.

After reading this thread I have learned how to get around this and am grateful to the OP's post because now I know how to navigate past the [I]polite [/I]chatter that I often find unnecessary.

[quote name='Pia1913'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]As a person who has done LIVES for many years, I need the input. Otherwise, if I couldn't answer questions, it would get boring. However, it is time consuming and uses precious minutes reading all the posts, especially when people start talking to each other. [/FONT] [B]Limiting chit chat not relevant would help.[/B][/FONT][/QUOTE]

This is where I come out on the subject. Shipboard internet is slow and expensive. There has to be some sort of back-and-forth, otherwise the "Live" serves as nothing more than a diary that could just as easily be written upon the OP's return. But people should not use the need for back-and-forth as an excuse to run off at the keyboard. It would be helpful for people to ask themselves before they hit "Submit Reply": "Am I adding to the the dissemination of information, or am I making it harder for the OP to use their valued internet minutes." In other words, employ courtesy and common sense.

[quote name='Pia1913']I do write most of my stuff off line and then copy and paste. However, my netbook that I have used is out of date and I therefore will need to buy something new. That being said, inasmuch as our travels have been medically curtailed, I don't need a new one. :)[/QUOTE]

So sorry to hear that, Pia. I hope you get the need to buy a new netbook soon [emoji3]

Love most of the 'live from" threads and believe that the option to ask questions or add relevant information enhances them. The photos are very often spectacular and worthy of compliments. What I don't get is why people so often 'quote' a series of photographs, which results in the same large photos sometimes appearing multiple times on the same page. This adds considerable length to the thread without adding value. Most photos are identified, so it's very easy to compliment someone or ask a question without showing it again. It's not so bad when it's just one photo repeated, but I've seen replies that quote/include 4 or 5 photos, all repeats from a previous post on the same page, just to say "Great Photos!".

[quote name='Kartgv'] What I don't get is why people so often 'quote' a series of photographs, which results in the same large photos sometimes appearing multiple times on the same page. [/QUOTE]

Some people don't know how to edit a quote, so they quote the whole thing.

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']Thank you, Terri! :)

I enjoyed the Live Froms that I did years ago, but eventually realized that they weren't the best for preserving my memories of my cruise, as they were all eventually buried in the thousands of pages that are Cruise Critic. My blog works best for me, but does take a far bit of time. By disabling comments, it actually saves me the work associated with monitoring and answering them, which is good, but it does seem I exist in a vacuum, which is not. Once Mom (my primary motivation for writing) is unable to follow our travels (which may be soon), I don't know what I'll do, but, whatever my decision, I'll have some regrets.[/QUOTE]

I, for one, would really really miss your blog. It's my vicarious winter vacation!

[quote name='avalong']I, for one, would really really miss your blog. It's my vicarious winter vacation![/QUOTE]
You made my day. Thanks! Actually, this year, I hope you feel like vicariously taking a late summer/fall vacation.

Pia, I had hoped things were improving. Your LIVES are missed.

[quote name='billco']I don't see that happening. I think the reason people do live threads is because they enjoy the attention. Good for the ego to think you are doing something that people might be interested in.[/QUOTE]

NO WAY!! Those of us who read Live From's love to read about others' cruises and possibly learn something about the ports and the ship along the way plus it's like taking a mini-cruise. They are my favorite posts to read. The first thing I did every day was to read Yellow Fish's posts, and they made many miserable winter days a little brighter.

I amazed that someone would have the audacity to think that a live from is to stroke the ego or attention seeking.

I write them for my mother. She is elderly with mobility issues. She cannot cover the same ground that I can. It is my posts that are in her scrapbooks. She sees the world vicariously. When she and I travel together I am her eyes, her ears, her feet.

I write them for my beloved husband, who cannot always take the time to travel. This is a way for us to keep connected. The two smilies at the bottom of every post are my wink and nod to him.

I write them for every person on cruise critic who has offered their tips and pointers. A live from is a living thank you note for all of the help I have received.

I often wonder about the person who has to tear others down. What are they missing? What is the motivation? Edited by TracieABD

[quote name='dmwnc1959']When I finally managed to embark Royal Princess and began a 'Live from' thread (it actually started off as a 'Bon Voyage' thread for me) 3-pages of "Thank You's" and "Have a Great Cruise" had elapsed. I know that I sincerely appreciated ALL of those posts. The actual Live-portion of that thread stretched into 43 pages, and is one of the most comprehensive ship-based Live threads here in this forum, as well as one of the Top 5 most viewed and most responded to (over 1050 posts and 160,000+ views).

And there have been Live threads that went [i]days[/i] and [i]days[/i] without an update, or disappeared into Page 5 of the Forum when the OP just never kept up (guess they were having toooo much fun ;)).

Sometimes we can answer questions while the OP is off-line, know the answers when the OP may not know who onboard to ask, or can offer up visuals that the OP can't download onto the forum while they are on the cruise.

And, yes, sometimes we get chatty. And that's fine, as long as it doesn't overwhelm the Live thread, then someone usually steps in and reminds us to calm down.

So no, I don't think 'Live from's' should [i]only[/i] be the OP posting, and the rest of us sitting on our thumbs.

:D[/QUOTE]

I loved your live from thread. I agree with you. I don't think it should be just the OP or those with questions. It's fun to chime in on a live from and if I were posting one I would enjoy knowing there were people following along with me whether it was because they were saying thank you or had a specific question.

We are all different, so I'm sure there are those that don't like all the "fluff" in a thread.

[quote name='TracieABD']As a person who writes "live froms", I actually love the feedback. Otherwise, it gets lonely out there in cyber-space

I am sailing in two weeks and have every intention of writing a "live from". I hope that lots of people chime in. It makes the cruise feel a little like a party![/QUOTE]

I can't wait to read your upcoming "live from" thread. :):):)

For me doing a live from has nothing to do with ego. Hardly anybody knows who I am - just some screen name. It is done in appreciation of help given by others and serves as a personal diary as I can get a bit forgetful at times.

I appreciate the feedback so I know people are getting something from what I am writing.

[quote name='billco']I don't see that happening. I think the reason people do live threads is because they enjoy the attention. Good for the ego to think you are doing something that people might be interested in.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]That took some courage to post and with some of the "live posters" I do agree with you on. The ones are the ones that I ignore are the ones that are the brags.,,"OH, Captain Jones, remembered us from the last 5 cruise we did with him and made such a fuss over us" or ".the Maitre-d and us are very best friends," "the Hotel Manager is married to our son's best friend and always ensures that we receive preferential treatment" and on it goes; the patter seldom changes. That off my chest, I am the first to say that some do an excellent job of job of reviewing the day, ports of call, excursions and try to answer posters questions. However, at the end of the day, I really prefer to read peoples blogs as they truly do it for the enjoyment of blogging and have no idea who is reading the blog and deriving enjoyment from it.[/SIZE]

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']You made my day. Thanks! [COLOR="Red"]Actually, this year, I hope you feel like vicariously taking a late summer/fall vacation. [/COLOR]

Pia, I had hoped things were improving. Your LIVES are missed.[/QUOTE]

Oh yay! I'm in!

• Administrators
[quote name='cherylandtk']If one wants to read only the OP's posts in a "Live" thread, simply click on their user name, select "find all posts by" and then scroll down and click on their posts one by one. For Live threads, nearly every post made by the OP will be in that thread, so it usually isn't even necessary to look at the forum or thread title, (although that tool is useful for some of our prolific posters.)

It is not necessary to scroll through pages of posts or to read others' posts if you don't wish to, nor is it necessary to worry about what should or should not be put into any thread.[/quote]

Here's an even better tip.

From the main forum (ie cruise line) page -- locate the Live From thread. Look for the column called "Replies". See the hyperlinked number? Click that. This will bring up everyone who has posted in the Live From...and the number of posts for each of them. Locate the OP, click the number next to their name -- and there you have ONLY those posts in the Live From thread from the person posting from the ship.

Laura

• Administrators
I also wanted to add my .02 cents re: "Live From...." threads. We love them here at Cruise Critic, and so do the majority of our members. How generous to share your vacation time with us back here at our computers!!!

I often post live (yes I know I work here but I do get vacation time). In all honesty, since internet time is precious, slow and expensive on board, I do not take the time to read what has been posted every time I log on. I eventually do -- but not always.

Look at it from the OP's view -- posting LIVE isn't easy so anything we can do on our end to make it easy makes sense -- so they keep on posting!

Laura

What drives me nuts about live threads is how people quote an entire post from the OP and say "Thanks" or some other lame line. If people could stop quoting posts to make the thread impossible to read and takes up valuable time from the OP, that would be great!!