On Live froms....

CanICruiseSoon

Please dont bash me, I am not trying to be rude. I just love reading the posts of the person sailing at the time...but was always thinking...when someone does a LIVE FROM...can't we just have that person just post one right after the other and not everyone responding on separate posts. Example...thank you for posting, etc, etc. Unless it is a question in reference to finding out something about the ship.

Trust me, I know you are all being pleasant but lets just read their posts. It would make it much easier to follow the cruiser.
I am sure this will be deleted anyway. Edited by CanICruiseSoon

When I finally managed to embark Royal Princess and began a 'Live from' thread (it actually started off as a 'Bon Voyage' thread for me) 3-pages of "Thank You's" and "Have a Great Cruise" had elapsed. I know that I sincerely appreciated ALL of those posts. The actual Live-portion of that thread stretched into 43 pages, and is one of the most comprehensive ship-based Live threads here in this forum, as well as one of the Top 5 most viewed and most responded to (over 1050 posts and 160,000+ views).

And there have been Live threads that went [i]days[/i] and [i]days[/i] without an update, or disappeared into Page 5 of the Forum when the OP just never kept up (guess they were having toooo much fun ;)).

Sometimes we can answer questions while the OP is off-line, know the answers when the OP may not know who onboard to ask, or can offer up visuals that the OP can't download onto the forum while they are on the cruise.

And, yes, sometimes we get chatty. And that's fine, as long as it doesn't overwhelm the Live thread, then someone usually steps in and reminds us to calm down.

So no, I don't think 'Live from's' should [i]only[/i] be the OP posting, and the rest of us sitting on our thumbs.

:D

Live reports are shared posts with other CC posters while on a cruise. They are happy threads for the most part where all get along and information is shared.It is really nice of them to take the time from their vacation to report back to us. Those that do these threads are expecting comments, not silence.
If one wants to see only the reports, all they need to do is scroll on by the comments.:D

If one wants to read only the OP's posts in a "Live" thread, simply click on their user name, select "find all posts by" and then scroll down and click on their posts one by one. For Live threads, nearly every post made by the OP will be in that thread, so it usually isn't even necessary to look at the forum or thread title, (although that tool is useful for some of our prolific posters.)

It is not necessary to scroll through pages of posts or to read others' posts if you don't wish to, nor is it necessary to worry about what should or should not be put into any thread. Edited by cherylandtk

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Chick;46809792]And sometimes someone will post something and not notice that someone else has posted the same info just seconds before them. Happens all the time.[/QUOTE]

Many times they're writing at the same time. Only see it after your's has posted.

[quote name='dmwnc1959']When I finally managed to embark Royal Princess and began a 'Live from' thread (it actually started off as a 'Bon Voyage' thread for me) 3-pages of "Thank You's" and "Have a Great Cruise" had elapsed. I know that I sincerely appreciated ALL of those posts. The actual Live-portion of that thread stretched into 43 pages, and is one of the most comprehensive ship-based Live threads here in this forum, as well as one of the Top 5 most viewed and most responded to (over 1050 posts and 160,000+ views).

And there have been Live threads that went [i]days[/i] and [i]days[/i] without an update, or disappeared into Page 5 of the Forum when the OP just never kept up (guess they were having toooo much fun ;)).

Sometimes we can answer questions while the OP is off-line, know the answers when the OP may not know who onboard to ask, or can offer up visuals that the OP can't download onto the forum while they are on the cruise.

And, yes, sometimes we get chatty. And that's fine, as long as it doesn't overwhelm the Live thread, then someone usually steps in and reminds us to calm down.

So no, I don't think 'Live from's' should [i]only[/i] be the OP posting, and the rest of us sitting on our thumbs.

:D[/QUOTE]

Check.

[quote name='cherylandtk']If one wants to read only the OP's posts in a "Live" thread, simply click on their user name, select "find all posts by" and then scroll down and click on their posts one by one. For Live threads, nearly every post made by the OP will be in that thread, so it usually isn't even necessary to look at the forum or thread title, (although that tool is useful for some of our prolific posters.)

It is not necessary to scroll through pages of posts or to read others' posts if you don't wish to, nor is it necessary to worry about what should or should not be put into any thread.[/QUOTE]

This is very helpful advice. Thank you! Sometimes I enjoy reading all the by-play and comments, sometimes I just want to read the trip report. This gives me the option to do that, without having to criticize those who want to chat, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

As a person who writes "live froms", I actually love the feedback. Otherwise, it gets lonely out there in cyber-space

I am sailing in two weeks and have every intention of writing a "live from". I hope that lots of people chime in. It makes the cruise feel a little like a party!

[quote name='TracieABD']As a person who writes "live froms", I actually love the feedback. Otherwise, it gets lonely out there in cyber-space

I am sailing in two weeks and have every intention of writing a "live from". I hope that lots of people chime in. It makes the cruise feel a little like a party![/QUOTE]

Its what makes CC go round! :D

[quote name='cherylandtk']If one wants to read only the OP's posts in a "Live" thread, simply click on their user name, select "find all posts by" and then scroll down and click on their posts one by one. [/quote]

I find it easier to do a "find" (CTRL F) on a page and then look for the CC name of the person doing the live from.

After reading a post, a "next" quickly gets you to the next post by that person.

[quote name='caribill']I find it easier to do a "find" (CTRL F) on a page and then look for the CC name of the person doing the live from.

After reading a post, a "next" quickly gets you to the next post by that person.[/QUOTE]

great tip, thanks.:D

[quote name='paul929207']I think the only way to keep others from posting on a "Live" thread would be for CC to allow the OP to lock out all others.[/QUOTE]I don't see that happening. I think the reason people do live threads is because they enjoy the attention. Good for the ego to think you are doing something that people might be interested in.

[quote name='billco']I don't see that happening. I think the reason people do live threads is because they enjoy the attention. Good for the ego to think you are doing something that people might be interested in.[/QUOTE]
Seriously? It can't be simply because people want to do something that others might find helpful and enjoyable and add to this forum?

[quote name='billco']I don't see that happening. [COLOR="Red"][B]I think the reason people do live threads is because they enjoy the attention. Good for the ego[/B][/COLOR]. to think you are doing something that people might be interested in.[/QUOTE]

That's [i]certainly not[/i] the reason that I've done my two Live threads. My main goal, and [i][U]only[/U][/i] purpose, was to help others. Plain and simple.

If anything, after dedicating six-months of my life on the 'Everything Royal Princess' I certainly didn't need my ego stroked. Anyone who read that thread, knows me better than that.

And to insinuate that I did it for the attention is absolutely insulting.

:mad:

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']Seriously? It can't be simply because people want to do something that others might find helpful and enjoyable and add to this forum?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dmwnc1959']That's [i]certainly not[/i] the reason that I've done my two Live threads. My main goal, and [i][U]only[/U][/i] purpose, was to help others. Plain and simple.

If anything, after dedicating six-months of my life on the 'Everything Royal Princess' I certainly didn't need my ego stroked. Anyone who read that thread, knows me better than that.

And to insinuate that I did it for the attention is absolutely insulting.

:mad:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Those of us who "know" (albeit online) those of you that give of your time for our enjoyment and knowledge, truly appreciate the effort that you guys pay forward to us :D:D Thank you !

and we also know that there are others out there who are either just obnoxious or jealous ;)[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]As a person who has done LIVES for many years, I need the input. Otherwise, if I couldn't answer questions, it would get boring. However, it is time consuming and uses precious minutes reading all the posts, especially when people start talking to each other. [/FONT] Limiting chit chat not relevant would help.[/FONT]

Thank you, Terri! :)

I enjoyed the Live Froms that I did years ago, but eventually realized that they weren't the best for preserving my memories of my cruise, as they were all eventually buried in the thousands of pages that are Cruise Critic. My blog works best for me, but does take a far bit of time. By disabling comments, it actually saves me the work associated with monitoring and answering them, which is good, but it does seem I exist in a vacuum, which is not. Once Mom (my primary motivation for writing) is unable to follow our travels (which may be soon), I don't know what I'll do, but, whatever my decision, I'll have some regrets.

Hi All

Have done live threads for years, many reasons for doing them, mainly for keeping in touch with past cruise buddies, allowing friends to follow our adventures, more than happy for others to join in, even if just to say hello,
or assist those with questions, think it would be boring if it was restricted to just my thoughts of the day.

yours Shogun