Island Princess Suite Question

RSF Cruiser

We just made reservations on the Island Princess for a Panama Canal full transit in December 2016. We're in L723. This suite is completely aft, near the teen center. Has any one stayed in one of the suites in the back of the ship? Did you get much noise from the kids in the teen center?

My other question has to do with the size of the suite. Per the web site and Princess customer service agent, cabin L723 has 740 sq. ft, L726 has 551 sq ft, and L724, has 511 sq ft. All three cabins are Vista Suites, so I was surprised to see the difference in square footage. The deck plan looks like the cabins and balconies are about the same size, so I wondered if the deck plan has a typo. The penthouse suites - L721 and L722 - which are adjacent to the Vista Suites, are also listed as 740 sq ft, so I thought maybe the L723 is listed incorrectly.

I'm hoping someone on this Board has stayed in one of those cabins, or stayed in any cabin near the teen center.

Thanks!

We just made reservations on the Island Princess for a Panama Canal full transit in December 2016. We're in L723. This suite is completely aft, near the teen center. Has any one stayed in one of the suites in the back of the ship? Did you get much noise from the kids in the teen center?

My other question has to do with the size of the suite. Per the web site and Princess customer service agent, cabin L723 has 740 sq. ft, L726 has 551 sq ft, and L724, has 511 sq ft. All three cabins are Vista Suites, so I was surprised to see the difference in square footage. The deck plan looks like the cabins and balconies are about the same size, so I wondered if the deck plan has a typo. The penthouse suites - L721 and L722 - which are adjacent to the Vista Suites, are also listed as 740 sq ft, so I thought maybe the L723 is listed incorrectly.

I'm hoping someone on this Board has stayed in one of those cabins, or stayed in any cabin near the teen center.

Thanks!

These are new cabins added to the ship last month. Not many comments yet and I doubt the Princess can give you much verified info either. Actually some reps did not even know the Island was in dry dock during the dry dock. :eek:

Hi RSF Cruiser. I don't know what part of the website you got the size of the suites at the back of Lido deck. I just came from princess.com and they have the two Penthouse suites, L721 and L722 as 509-512 sq. ft. and the three Vista suites as 470 sq. ft. I'm pretty sure these numbers are closer to the actual size.

There is a very interesting thread going with lots of information and photos of the remodeled Island Princess; one of the contributors, dmwnc1959, has provided some great photos. You can see that the three Vista suites appear to be the same size, or at least the same width. The aft portion of the Penthouse suites appear to also be the same width, but of course are much deeper than the Vista Suites.

I hope this helps a little.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127734&page=37

Hi RSF Cruiser. I don't know what part of the website you got the size of the suites at the back of Lido deck. I just came from princess.com and they have the two Penthouse suites, L721 and L722 as 509-512 sq. ft. and the three Vista suites as 470 sq. ft. I'm pretty sure these numbers are closer to the actual size.

There is a very interesting thread going with lots of information and photos of the remodeled Island Princess; one of the contributors, dmwnc1959, has provided some great photos. You can see that the three Vista suites appear to be the same size, or at least the same width. The aft portion of the Penthouse suites appear to also be the same width, but of course are much deeper than the Vista Suites.

I just finished reading all of the posts from the link. Thank You! I reposted my question there.

I found the square footage when I clicked on the link that says "click to view details". When I hover on the suite, I, too, get 470 sq ft. Yet, when I click to view details, I get the different sq footages. Based on the detailed responses in the other thread, I'm guessing L723 is not 740 sq ft...

I just finished reading all of the posts from the link. Thank You! I reposted my question there.

I found the square footage when I clicked on the link that says "click to view details". When I hover on the suite, I, too, get 470 sq ft. Yet, when I click to view details, I get the different sq footages. Based on the detailed responses in the other thread, I'm guessing L723 is not 740 sq ft...

Yes, if you look at the very enlarged photos on that thread you can see that all three Vista Suites on Lido deck are virtually the same size. And I see you noticed that the Aloha deck Vista suites A728 and A729 are much larger than the ones on Lido deck--the two are the width of the three above. The one problem I noticed with A728 and A729 is there is not much of an overhang and consequently very little shade. I'm actually considering trading A728 for one on Lido deck because there seems to be much more shade. However, if the sun doesn't bother you, you should ask to be put on a waiting list for one of the Vista Suites on Aloha deck; I wouldn't be surprised of some people give them up for the same reason I am.

• 2 months later...

L 723 Sq. Footage. TY f-mattox for re-posting those pixs of the Aft. They helped me decide to change my suite for my October Venice Cruise. I had a half dozen phone conversations with Princess on this very subject, the alleged 740 sq. ft. for this Vista Suite, versus the other two next to it, coming in at 511 and 551 sq. ft.

They, Princess finally declared, all the cabins are measured when the work is done and this is the size of the cabin. Well, I believe 740 is incorrect, after seeing these pictures. All 3 are About, the same size. Heck, the PH Suites right next to these are 2500. per cabin more and there 510 sq. ft.

Anyway, I switched to A 727, again BECAUSE I saw these pixs. Its "only" 617 sq. ft. but More Importantly, the Warp Around Deck. You can see where your going , not just what you've passed.

Thanks again for your help. Happy Cruising

I also had L723 book for the Med. It still makes me mad that everyone at Princess said it wrapped around. As you know, it is not a wrap balcony. I changed to A726 and am keeping my fingers crossed that it wraps around. Enjoy your cruise

Now that this has expanded to discuss suites other than the aft suites on Lido deck, it is perhaps worth offering the observation that IMHO, by far the best suites on Island (and Coral) are the four Premium Suites mid-ships on D deck, particularly for Panama Canal transits.

Yup, I know that some folks put a lot of value on aft facing suites, but I am not one of them and the mid ship suites have ZERO vibration and are wonderful places to pass the day, taking afternoon tea, lunch etc., as one transits the canal.

Just my opinion.

You are correct that those suites on the Coral and Island are super. We had one in Alaska and loved it but still ran back to the stern for the views back there. I hate them on other ships. Hated ours on the CB - they are not very deep at all.

I hate them on other ships. Hated ours on the CB - they are not very deep at all.

Agreed. For me the biggest problem with the mid-ship suites of the other classes is that they put them immediately below the Lido deck. We stayed in one on Ventura (same class, same design, but P&O) when she was new and NEVER AGAIN.

Terrible noise issues with people dragging loungers around at all hours of the night. We ended up insisting that the most senior person on duty came to our cabin at 03.00 to hear the noise. Even the Passenger Services Director accepted that it had been an error to change from the design of the Sun class ships (where the similar layout mini-suites were two decks down from the Lido deck) to put the most expensive cabins immediately below the Lido deck, and we were quickly offered lots of OBC to compensate us and head off a formal complaint.

No way we would book a mid-ship suite on any of the 3000pax ships.

L 723 Sq. Footage. TY f-mattox for re-posting those pixs of the Aft. They helped me decide to change my suite for my October Venice Cruise. I had a half dozen phone conversations with Princess on this very subject, the alleged 740 sq. ft. for this Vista Suite, versus the other two next to it, coming in at 511 and 551 sq. ft.

They, Princess finally declared, all the cabins are measured when the work is done and this is the size of the cabin. Well, I believe 740 is incorrect, after seeing these pictures. All 3 are About, the same size. Heck, the PH Suites right next to these are 2500. per cabin more and there 510 sq. ft.

Anyway, I switched to A 727, again BECAUSE I saw these pixs. Its "only" 617 sq. ft. but More Importantly, the Warp Around Deck. You can see where your going , not just what you've passed.

Thanks again for your help. Happy Cruising

We were able to snag A727 on the Island Princess for the westbound Feb 2016 Panama Canal transit. Been digging hard to try and find specs or photos to no avail. Enjoy your cruise! If you are able to take some snaps of the stateroom and post them or give a review of the stateroom that would be super.

We changed our Lido 723 Suite for Aloha 729. We were afraid of the noise from the teen center. On Aloha the kids center door is further away.

We decided we'll see if we like the limited overhang, although the corner suites with the wrap around balconies looked nice, it looked like maybe the inside of the two aloha aft suites was a little bigger than the side suites with the wrap around balcony. In any case, we'll be on a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise - life will be good... the hardest part will be waiting the year and a half until our trip...

I also had L723 book for the Med. It still makes me mad that everyone at Princess said it wrapped around. As you know, it is not a wrap balcony. I changed to A726 and am keeping my fingers crossed that it wraps around. Enjoy your cruise

I would also be interested in the extent of the wrap around on A726.

Have it booked for the Panama and hope it has a good aft view

We just occupied L721 and the 700+ sq.ft. is correct when all baths and walk in closet is considered, plus the 2 balconies. NO noise from the teen center EXCEPT the teens coming and going. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
I would also be interested in the extent of the wrap around on A726.

Have it booked for the Panama and hope it has a good aft view

We are currently in a726. It is wonderful. Indeed at least 600 sq ft and the balcony wraps fully around with the aft section large enough for a lounger and a table and chairs. There is minimal vibration. Less than we usually experience in aft cabins. Will post pics on our return home in mid oct. If you can get this cabin, grab it.

We are currently in a726. It is wonderful. Indeed at least 600 sq ft and the balcony wraps fully around with the aft section large enough for a lounger and a table and chairs. There is minimal vibration. Less than we usually experience in aft cabins. Will post pics on our return home in mid oct. If you can get this cabin, grab it.

@Mina thanks a million for posting this. We are in A727 (your cabin's twin on starboard side) for WB Panama transit in early Feb. I was a bit apprehensive but you have set my mind to rest! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!

I will be in L723 on the Island in a couple of weeks. I will take lots of pictures and post them. Will note vibrations, but frankly my husband was brought up next to an engine room, so he loves it.....in case someone can, if you could post a photo of it within a week, that would be wonderful....:) I turned down a midship Vista...hope I did the right thing. We typically love aft cabins....

Following was posted on another thread by valbob89

We had originally booked a mini-suite for the 12 day Med cruise and were pleased when Princess called and offered us an upgrade purchase, the Penthouse suite for $1,200. Actually we had to think about it because $1,200 isn't a small amount, even if it meant we'd get a cabin for less then 50% of the going rate, but we decided to go for it.

When we got to the ship we were told that our cabin, the Amalfi Penthouse, L721, was one of the cabins built with the new 2015 additions and some or all of it is over what was previously air space on the stern of deck 14. This is a beautiful room, but unfortunately, the vibrations and engine noise from this room makes it uninhabitable while underway at more then 15 knots or when there is any wind blowing. It nearly destroyed our vacation.

The suite was incredibly noisy! We have been on more then 25 other cruises, in seas conditions that caused the closure of all outside areas. We have stayed in stern cabins on various decks and different-size ships. We sail on the San Francisco Bay and my husband is retired Coast Guard. We understand that aft cabins experience more vibrations and noise then other areas of the ship and understand the difference between conditions caused by seas, and engine vibration and noise. We have never had to beg for a cabin change due to our inability to sleep because of cabin conditions.

The Amalfi suite banged like a drum, vibrated like a washing machine and whistled like a tin pipe. The sconces on the walls rattled, the mirrors shook. Whether standing on the floor, sitting on the couch or laying on the bed, it felt like you were on an unbalanced washing machine during the spin cycle. One evening we watched in disgust as a pair of wine glasses on the mini-bar vibrate from the wall to the edge. We grabbed them as they began to dance across the edge. Glass shelf brackets above the bar were empty. Were the shelves removed because they shook so badly, or did they shake so badly that they broke? Our stateroom host (steward) didn't know -- he told us he'd only been aboard 2 days.

When we called Guest Services to report the issue we were told they would advise their manager. When nothing came of that call I called back down and asked that an officer come to our cabin to experience the conditions and see that we were not just complaining over movement you have to expect while at sea. When Officer Danni, the steward's supervisor, came to the cabin, he admitted he had never been in this cabin while the ship was underway. After mere seconds -- not even a minute -- observing and experiencing the vibrations and engine noise, he told us that it was "extreme" and he would be reporting the problem higher up. We then received a visit from Officer Laurence of the Hotel Department. He explained that they did not have a cabin they could move us to as the ship was full (an implicit admission that the cabin was uninhabitable at higher cruising speeds). He was very apologetic and agreed with Officer Danni. The third day Office Laurence called to ask if conditions had gotten any better. When we advised that the only change was that when encountered windy conditions, all three of the locked verandah doors whistled loudly, each at a different tone. He explained that a passenger had left the ship and that we could use their mid-ship balcony cabin to sleep in and the suite during the day. When we left our suite and went down 4 decks to sleep, that cabin had no vibration nor engine noise -- so clearly the problem with the suite was due to an engine not a ship motion problem.

We understood that the cabin problem was not the fault of anyone on the ship and therefore tried to be as pleasant as possible when talking about the problem. Nor did we ask or expect any kind of compensation from anyone on the ship. Therefore, we were very surprised and somewhat pleased when Officer Laurence called to say he had contacted Princess Headquarters and had been authorized to credit our account the $1,200 upgrade cost. He also said he'd tell them we said the suite was only suited to mattress storage. While no amount of money was going to solve the problem of sleep deprivation, unbearable noise and bone-rattling vibration, it was good that they acknowledged and took responsibility for our problem, doing everything they could be assist us.