Upper respiratory infection possibly on Zaandam

Willysmom2

Hi all,

I traveled with a group of 15 on the Zaandam from Seward to Vancouver (June 7 embark). Nine of us developed signs of an URI towards or at the end of the cruise. I'm guessing we passed it from one to another but I'm just curious if anyone else outside of our group has symptoms (cough, fever, chills).

Once an upper respiratory infection boards a ship, it tends to race through. It's known as the Cruise Crud.

Since the germ is spread via air, as well as surface touching, and since people do leave their cabins, cough and sneeze all over, then touch things which others later touch---it's almost expected to disembark with it.

I'd be surprised if there was any cruise that didn't have someone getting off sick. Just the number of people in an enclosed space for a set time - odds are someone brought some sort of germ onboard.

Edited by Shmoo here

Sadly, URI's are very contagious and if 9 of your group of 15 succumbed, it is highly likely you passed it to each other......... not an unusual occurrence on cruise ships. My DH once held onto 'kennel cough' for about 2 1/2 months despite trips to his doctor.

Edited by sail7seas

The ole "Cabin Cough" which we have experienced on too many cruises. DW and I have no problem avoiding Norovirus (we simply wash our hands (often) with soap and water and avoid touching our faces) but there is just no good way to avoid URIs on a ship. We do try to avoid tight enclosed spaces like elevators (anyone coughs or sneezes in an elevator and everyone is doomed) and will even more away from folks we hear doing a lot of coughing (on HAL they are probably just the smokers) but on longer cruises they eventually get you! DW has a real problem getting rid of "Cabin Cough" and has had to go to our physician (after returning home) who sometimes must use steroids to knock out the inflammation. On one occasion (Veendam) her cough was so bad that she finally went to the ship's doctor. He charged her $105, told her she "was not sick enough" and gave her some over-the-counter cough medicine. That was the time when she was not "sick enough" for nearly 2 months until steroids finally did the trick.

And we will give the HAL medical center some credit. After charging over $100 for nothing, they did follow-up with a phone call 2 days later and suggested she again return to spend another $100+ for nothing. ARGH!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

A lot of the URI/NORO viruses actually come on board from people flying in to take the cruise.

I do agree that the URI is the hardest to avoid -- everybody coughs/sneezes even if they don't feel sick -- that is the problem -- there are a lot of 'carriers' that aren't even ill.

I just want to add (since we cruise on many different cruise lines) that this is not a HAL problem but rather a cruise ship problem caused when you cram a lot of souls into a confined environment. We have been on "sick ships" on many cruise lines. And with the URI problem everyone knows when you go to the main showroom and all you hear (before the show) is coughing coming from all over the theater. Unlike Noro, this is not a reportable issue so there is not much publicity (except here on CC). We just chalk it up as one risk of cruising which has never deterred us from taking our chances :).

Hank

A lot of the URI/NORO viruses actually come on board from people flying in to take the cruise.

I do agree that the URI is the hardest to avoid -- everybody coughs/sneezes even if they don't feel sick -- that is the problem -- there are a lot of 'carriers' that aren't even ill.

It irks me the selfish clods who go out and about coughing, sneezing and denying they have anything more than allergies. Sure, some folks have congestion and watery eyes etc from allergies but 'kennel cough' is so contagious and they know it that is why they misrepresent especially to those nearby who are in the process of breathing their droplets and becoming ill.

For pete's sake,,,,,,,, if you are sick have the decency to stay away from others until you won't be sneezing and coughing in everyone's face. Please.

I agree to both your points.

Hi all,

I traveled with a group of 15 on the Zaandam from Seward to Vancouver (June 7 embark). Nine of us developed signs of an URI towards or at the end of the cruise. I'm guessing we passed it from one to another but I'm just curious if anyone else outside of our group has symptoms (cough, fever, chills).

I am getting over my URI from a cruise on the Statedam. I find it interesting that those long time posters blame fellow passengers for cruise ship epidemics, Noro or other. If it is true the blame is on the passengers, then the cruise ships are not designed correctly to compensate for typical human behavior.

Or the ships are not maintained properly, as far as heating and air conditioning. Why the USA government test cruise ships for clean water and food, but not for clean air? As I lay shivering in my cabin, flush with fever, I noticed the air vent was not blowing in clean air, it was turned off while we were in port.

And as far as people remaining in their cabins if sick, I was instructed to leave my cabin so that the cabin steward could clean the room. No leave, no clean.

Every long cruise we have been on there has been an outbreak of Cruise Crud. The first time I got sick I went to the Medical Centre on day 2 and opted to see the nurse. I paid $15 for cough syrup, and picked up some throat lozenges in port. When I got home I saw my own doctor.

Now I travel with a prescription from my Dr. for URI and pick up a small bottle of cough syrup.

Willysmom2, we were also on the Zaandam, sailing from Seward to Vancouver on June 7th. We started with a 3 day land tour first (Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage), and then stayed 2 more days in Vancouver at the end.

I must say, neither my DW or myself are experiencing any of the symptoms that you list. And the other folks that we met on the ship (dinner mates, excursion mates, etc.) were not experiencing anything like that when we departed Sunday.

Sorry for your experience. I understand URI and breathing concerns, but every time we looked around the staff was wiping down the railings both on the ship as well as down the gangway. And we were greeted with the Purel bottle every time we entered a dining area. I know this is not the solution for URI, but I think HAL was doing all they could to keep their guests healthy.

I am getting over my URI from a cruise on the Statedam. I find it interesting that those long time posters blame fellow passengers for cruise ship epidemics, Noro or other. If it is true the blame is on the passengers, then the cruise ships are not designed correctly to compensate for typical human behavior.

Or the ships are not maintained properly, as far as heating and air conditioning. Why the USA government test cruise ships for clean water and food, but not for clean air? As I lay shivering in my cabin, flush with fever, I noticed the air vent was not blowing in clean air, it was turned off while we were in port.

And as far as people remaining in their cabins if sick, I was instructed to leave my cabin so that the cabin steward could clean the room. No leave, no clean.

f "Kennel Cough" on cruise ships is not, by far, limited to one cruise line. I think you are suggesting many (most ?) cruise ships are poorly built/designed to be able to filter virus from the air? I don't think that is possible..... yet. If so, it would be wonderful but I've yet to hear of any ship providing such protection.

Hi all,

My mother was on this route the cruise before your group and has been sick since she returned home on June 2. She finally went to a Minute Clinic and was diagnosed as having an upper respiratory infection, a sinus infection, and a cough. She has three prescriptions and is only slowly improving.

f "Kennel Cough" on cruise ships is not, by far, limited to one cruise line. I think you are suggesting many (most ?) cruise ships are poorly built/designed to be able to filter virus from the air? I don't think that is possible..... yet. If so, it would be wonderful but I've yet to hear of any ship providing such protection.

A cruise line that advertises a HEPA filtration system could be good for business. But why recirculate all that air? I was thinking an ocean cruise would mean lots of fresh air, not stale air from molding flooded cabins, not the smell of sewage aft and diesel fumes forward. Pump in some of that unspoiled sea going breeze!

What happens to the stale air that settles in lower decks? For hours when the ship is in port, the HVAC systems are turned off to keep from running the generators. The air on the lower decks just sits there.

I think air quality testing should be mandatory and the results made public. After all, clean air is just as important as clean food and water.

I have never taken a HAL cruise so when I met someone at a party talking about their HAL cruise I had to ask about their experience. They told me it was not very good because the wife was sick. I asked if she got ill on the ship, and they replied, 'no, she was coughing and had a fever before they left, but they figured she would feel better in a few days. Plus they spent so much money on the cruise and flight'.

I have seen them socially at parties several times since then and have not spoken to them except to say Hi, and move on.

A cruise line that advertises a HEPA filtration system could be good for business. But why recirculate all that air? I was thinking an ocean cruise would mean lots of fresh air, not stale air from molding flooded cabins, not the smell of sewage aft and diesel fumes forward. Pump in some of that unspoiled sea going breeze!

What happens to the stale air that settles in lower decks? For hours when the ship is in port, the HVAC systems are turned off to keep from running the generators. The air on the lower decks just sits there.

I think air quality testing should be mandatory and the results made public. After all, clean air is just as important as clean food and water.

In a perfect world, yes, but while I can't speak for yours, sadly my world is not perfect. It's no different in a hotel, airplane, restaurant, dormitory, hospital,,,,,,,,, people spread germs and illnesses. :(

My theory is that it is the dry air on the ship, intended to prevent mildew/mold, that results in so many cases of URI. Dry mucous membranes are not healthy.

I agree that this is more of a problem, and more difficult to avoid, than the norovirus.

igraf

Hi

Not everyone with a cough is sick. I have a cronic cough I comes and goes. But I have it more than not. I have had xrays and its a lung problem.

I also think people no matter how careful you are get the crud and Noro from pillows, ship & hotel room. Pillows on ships and hotel rooms are the big problem as are blankets.. Yes people will spread it on the ship.People are not going to stay of the ship if they are sick after they have spent thousands of dollars on thier vacations.

Not even going to mention airlines

Mary

I used to get sick on every longer cruise. Then I ordered s small plug in room purifier ( about the size of a small hairdryer) and, voila! - no more issues not even on a 57 day cruise. It cost about $30 from Ama--- worth ever penny and then some.

Well, lets see, if you circulated that "unspoiled sea going breeze at 75*, the inside of the ship would be around 78-80* unless you had a wind tunnel worth of air movement. Lots of complaints. The humidity would also not be controlled, so there would be dampness in closets, and other small spaces. Or, if you did air condition a 100% flow through system, your cruise price would rise, since you would need an A/C system about 5 times as large, requiring that much more space, and that much more fuel to run.

What? Who told you that? The A/C system is never shut down. The ships are designed so that the "hotel" load (lighting, galley, A/C, etc.) can be run on one generator. There is always one generator running.

Actually, the air is filtered, there are sanitizing pads placed in the air handler drain trays to prevent mold and bacteria, and the condition of the air conditioning equipment is part of the USPH Vessel Sanitation Program inspections, and the USPH "scores" that everyone talks about. The VSP is far, far more than just food and water safety that people think about.

Do you get air quality results posted for your movie theaters, or shopping malls, or even business buildings? Why should cruise ships be singled out for this?