First NCL cruise next week and getting nervous about dress code

1025cruise

I am embarking next week on my first NCL cruise, and starting to question what I need to pack.

We have UDP, and are scheduled to eat mainly in either Cagneys or Moderno, with one night in La Cucina.

One of the things that got us excited about NCL was not needing to bring formal wear, but it appears that isn't necessarily the case.

Basically, what are we expected to wear? We don't necessary care about a formal picture with the captain, or any other pictures for that matter. We just don't want to look out of place.

For most nights, at Cagneys or Moderno, would a collared button down shirt and a pair of khakis be ok? For that matter, could I just do a collared pullover versus a button down? Will I regret not bringing a jacket? I believe the night we eat at La Cucina is the "dress up or not" night.

Thanks.

Formal wear or jackets are absolutely not necessary. You can't go wrong with a pair of khakis and a polo shirt. Very relaxed atmosphere. The majority of folks do not go formal but those that do look great. To each their own, AKA "Freestyle".

I am embarking next week on my first NCL cruise, and starting to question what I need to pack.

We have UDP, and are scheduled to eat mainly in either Cagneys or Moderno, with one night in La Cucina.

One of the things that got us excited about NCL was not needing to bring formal wear, but it appears that isn't necessarily the case.

Basically, what are we expected to wear? We don't necessary care about a formal picture with the captain, or any other pictures for that matter. We just don't want to look out of place.

For most nights, at Cagneys or Moderno, would a collared button down shirt and a pair of khakis be ok? For that matter, could I just do a collared pullover versus a button down? Will I regret not bringing a jacket? I believe the night we eat at La Cucina is the "dress up or not" night.

Thanks.

Yes to either of those. I wore nice jeans with dress shoes and a button down shirt with a faux leather sport coat. I think as long as you are not in flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt you will be fine. There are definitely some nicely dressed people in Cagneys but you won't get turned away.

-Sean

Thanks.

We have sailed on NCL 5 times and have definitely eaten ate all of those restaurants. For these restaurants I would recommend khakis and a nice collared shirt. Ladies would be dress pants/skirt/dress. You do not need anything formal. No jacket is required. My husband would wear khakis and a collared shirt every night.

I normally take my trusty blue blazer, but that's just me. Definitely no neckties.

I shake my head at some of the get-ups you see at dinner time. I think NCL is a little stricter with men than what they let pass from femae pax. In some cases, all that is missing is a can of Budweiser and a Marlboro dangling from the lips (both males and females).

OP: please do NOT be concerned or anxious about a "dress code" on NCL. It is a VERY casual line. NO formal wear required. No glitzy clothes needed. For specialty dining, "smart casual" is sufficient (and even then you may be dressed up given some of your fellow passengers). Khakis, collared shirts.. just fine.

I am female and do not bring "dress slacks" on NCL. Nice black jeans, khakis...

Enjoy your cruise!

Not at all complex. Super easy. Just follow this guidance and that covers it all.

For the Main MDR and Le Bistro, long pants and a shirt with a collar. Otherwise, just casual type dress including shorts are ok in all the others.

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. r Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (oumore formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

Thanks.

Slacks and a button up, or polo are perfect. You won't be over dressed, but won't be under dressed either.

I routinely wear a tropical shirt, and shorts, or pants (it depends on where you are eating). As mentioned by every post so far, it is casual. One other thing to consider....DON'T over pack.;)

OP: please do NOT be concerned or anxious about a "dress code" on NCL. It is a VERY casual line. NO formal wear required. No glitzy clothes needed. For specialty dining, "smart casual" is sufficient (and even then you may be dressed up given some of your fellow passengers). Khakis, collared shirts.. just fine.

I am female and do not bring "dress slacks" on NCL. Nice black jeans, khakis...

Enjoy your cruise!

Agree. I usually take 1 pair of black dress pants and a dressy top and it often doesn't get worn. Most nights I wear capris and a top. You might be glad to have a light sweater or blouse to put over your top though. It can be chilly with the air conditioning.

I completely agree with everyone here, but.....on the Breakaway last time, many people got a "little" dressed up. Sundresses, or a dressy top, etc. I didn't pack much for dressing up, but wished that I had. I rarely have the opportunity to do so in my daily life, so maybe that made a difference too.

I have not taken a jacket on my last 6 NCL cruises.

I took a tie on my first one and never bothered after that.

Polo type shirts and chinos does the job for everything (I do not wear shorts - the world is not ready for that sight!)

Believe people when they tell you it's informal (to the extent that chinos and a nice top are fine for all venues).

As you walk through the ship, even on the dress up (or not) nights, you will be passing people in bathing suits and robes and shorts and t-shirts and maxi dresses and coverups...

And at times when you're walking around in your bathing suit/shorts/t-shirt you'll be passing people dressed to the nines. But there will be far fewer of them.

Don't be fooled by the brochures of all the sophisticated people in their glittering outfits... people are on vacation.

I remember the old cruising days of dressing for dinner. Didn't mind it at the time, but I LOVE not dealing with panty hose on vacation!

Jeans and a t-shirt is fine for Cagneys/LeBistro. Just don't be a slob about it...

I think you would feel totally out of place in a tee shirt at just about any place other than the buffet for dinner. Do yourself and nearby diners a favor and take some collared shirts with you for the evening. Jeans are fine if not ragged looking however.

I have not taken a jacket on my last 6 NCL cruises.

I took a tie on my first one and never bothered after that.

Polo type shirts and chinos does the job for everything (I do not wear shorts - the world is not ready for that sight!)

This spells it out very well. The last thing you should worry about on NCL is dress.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Thanks.

The outfit you've described is fine... you will probably be better dressed than 2/3 of your fellow guests. Pants and something nicer than a plane T-Shirt are what you should wear on NCL for dinner. :) A jacket is not necessary unless you would like to participate in the formal night... which I never go to.

Edited by sarcher

Thanks.

The only thing I expect is that you be dressed. Khakis and pull over are perfect. Never mind the sycophants, just enjoy your cruise! If you want to dress up--dress to the hilt or anywhere in between, if you don't then don't. But, I don't think they will appreciate shorts in the evening venues.

Edited by weelv2cruise

Khakis and a Hawaiian shirt will get you into any venue.

Haha, no, do not bring a Hawaiian shirt, they have been out of style for years and look tacky! Poster is right about khakis though. Just replace those with a button up shirt or polo and you'll be good to go.

Also, if you go to Cagneys, you CAN where a t-shirt, but it's a nice place, so I'd advise wearing something a little nicer, like the outfit mentioned above.

We did the Jewel in March, and my DH got by with a pair of jeans as his long pants. Granted, we are from Tx, so we even wear jeans with tuxedoes, but, it wasn't out of place. I took dresses for dinner, but that was more about me being nostalgic for "old style" cruising than anything. And we ate at specialty restaurants nightly. I did make my kids change, but that's cause they were living in ratty comfy play clothes and swimsuits during the day. They still wore shorts to dinner.

I think you would feel totally out of place in a tee shirt at just about any place other than the buffet for dinner. Do yourself and nearby diners a favor and take some collared shirts with you for the evening. Jeans are fine if not ragged looking however.

Not true, there's no problem with shorts and t-shirt anywhere except Le Bistro and one additional designated restaurant.