My License

You can renew your DL 90 days before it expires. Get it renewed on Monday.

Did you bother to read the OPs post. She is leaving in less than a week. Her DL expires while on the cruise. EVEN IF she went to the DMV they only issue A PAPER temporary replacement so not helpful. How does the knowledge of being able to renew if 90 days in advance help? If she renews it on Monday she will have less ID than she has now.

I don't know about MA (assuming from her screen name where the OP is from) but here in FL you can just go online, pay the renewal fee and print out the extension receipt. So I would be calling the cruise line and asking if that is acceptable.

In Massachusetts,

IF the OP renewed her license last time in person at RMV (or, in some cases AAA offices), she can renew on line and get a paper print out verifying she has paid the renewal fee and license is being processed. That, in combination with her current license, should be sufficient.

HOWEVER, if she renewed last time, on line, she cannot do that this time. She must go in person and get a new photo taken and eye exam.

Edited by sail7seas

3. Get a passport. Oddly, while this seems the most extreme and undoable option, it's actually the easiest. You can have a passport issued same-day, but you need to call right now to get an appointment. Right now. They book up fast. You'll pay extra, but the good news is that your soon-to-expire license will be perfectly fine for proving your identity at the passport office. And then you'll have 10 years (well, 9.5) before you have to have a similar last-minute and no documents crisis!

Good luck.

OP, number 3 is probably your best option in your situation. Find the nearest passport agency and you'll walk out with your passport which will 100% guarentee that you'll get on the ship (as long as you make sure that you bring all of the required documentation with you).

You might be allowed to board with your soon to expire license, they may not notice, but then again they may notice and as njhorseman points out say you can't board because you don't have an ID that is valid for the entire cruise.

Of course the lesson learned for everyone is to triple check the expiration dates for your identity documents prior to your travel.

My son couldn't get driver's license so he went to the county offices and got a state (NC) ID. This is done for people who don't drive or can not get a driver's license. My aunt didn't get a driver's license until she was in her 60's and people who live in a city do not need driver's licenses. I think you get the ID right away while you wait.

Edited by Bonnie J.

My son couldn't get driver's license so he went to the county offices and got a state (NC) ID. This is done for people who don't drive or can not get a driver's license. My aunt didn't get a driver's license until she was in her 60's and people who live in a city do not need driver's licenses. I think you get the ID right away while you wait.

Huh :confused::confused:

So I'm freaking out!!!!! I just realized TODAY 6/19 and I cruise on 6/26 That my DL expires while I'm on the cruise. So when I go to check into the cruise my DL will be valid....but when I get off the ship my DL will have expired the day before. Do you think this is going to be a problem.

No, I can not go to the DMV and get a new DL because they just issue a "paper id" that is not valid for anything. It takes 7-10 buisness days to come in the mail. So I don't know what to do!!??? I'm freaking out!

So again, My DL is VALID when I check onto the cruise but it expires while I'm cruising....will this be an issue.

Please refrain from name calling and putting me down...I'm already doing this enough! I've made myself sick to my stomach! I'm stressed to the max!!!

Please Help!!

Go get the new DL. They don't take the old one, and your new paper ID plus the expired license should be enough.

In the alternative if you live near a passport agency go get one of those next week.

I don't think it's ever "safe to assume" anything on these boards.

Regardless if the OP is using a certified BC she/he will only need to show this documentation when embarking not disembarking.

Not so - you always have to show ID to CBP when disembarking.

That's doubtful. If the state in which she lives in doesn't print out driver's licenses same day, then it's doubtful they will print out non-driver's licenses the same day. Most likely all she will get is a paper copy of that, too, and will have to wait for the real thing.

They can't take your license if you "lost it". Just a thought.

This is what I would do. Go and renew the license but tell them that I lost it so they can't take it (although my state just cuts the corner and gives it back to you), then take the expired license and the paper copy of the new license with me on the cruise. Hopefully that would be enough.

To the OP though: have you called the cruise line and asked them what you should do? That would probably be your best bet. Good luck.

Edited by bakersdozen12

I have to ask. How often does anyone with the cruise line look at the expiration date on a driver's license??? They look to see if it's your picture on it, not he expiration date, or your birthday. They want your picture same as you looking at them and the same name as on your sign 'n sail card.

Any one add to or dispute this????

I don't think it's ever "safe to assume" anything on these boards.

Regardless if the OP is using a certified BC she/he will only need to show this documentation when embarking not disembarking.

If using a BC (not passport), we must have a government issued photo ID in addition to the BC.

I have to ask. How often does anyone with the cruise line look at the expiration date on a driver's license??? They look to see if it's your picture on it, not he expiration date, or your birthday. They want your picture same as you looking at them and the same name as on your sign 'n sail card.

Any one add to or dispute this????

I have to agree with this. I think they are more concerned about you being the same person on the license and the name.

And you can fly in the US without your ID. Happened to my daughter last weekend. Went to Vegas and lost her DL. Gee, I wonder how often that happens there? LOL She just had to answer a couple of questions for TSA and got a pat down. I had texted her a pic of her BC and her debit card had her pic, but they did t need them.

Thank you everyone! Just to clerify....I did not get my passport because you do not need one when doing the Boston to Bermuda cruise..because you are leaving and returning from the same US port! So I just have my birth certificate.

I guess I'm going to have to go into Boston on Monday and get my passport expidated!!!

I know for a fact the DMV gives you a temporary paper DL while the real one is being processed and they do take your old one. (my sister just got her license renewed in May and this is what happened)

I am not flying! This is the beauty of this cruise all I have to do is drive into Boston and park my car and board the cruise!!!

I just think its crazy....that my DL is valid when boarding the cruise....and it will only be 9 hours expired when I get off!! I know this is my error!!! I didn't even think about it until someone mentioned my Bday...and for some reason it all came back to me. Wish me luck all!!!! Thanks again for reply's

Thank you everyone! Just to clerify....I did not get my passport because you do not need one when doing the Boston to Bermuda cruise..because you are leaving and returning from the same US port! So I just have my birth certificate.

I guess I'm going to have to go into Boston on Monday and get my passport expidated!!!

I know for a fact the DMV gives you a temporary paper DL while the real one is being processed and they do take your old one. (my sister just got her license renewed in May and this is what happened)

I am not flying! This is the beauty of this cruise all I have to do is drive into Boston and park my car and board the cruise!!!

I just think its crazy....that my DL is valid when boarding the cruise....and it will only be 9 hours expired when I get off!! I know this is my error!!! I didn't even think about it until someone mentioned my Bday...and for some reason it all came back to me. Wish me luck all!!!! Thanks again for reply's

I do not understand why the tempoary paper DL is not sufficient. Is it because it does not have your photo on it?

In both NM and CA they do not take the old license when they give the tempoary paper one. They simply punch a hole in it. Authorities then know to also look at temporary.

It is not the cruise line that is the question but US Immigration officials upon your return to US after cruise. They would probably accept the recently expired license but who wants to take the chance?

Good luck -- sounds like you're covering the bases as thoroughly as possible, under the circumstances. And, kudos for biting the bullet and getting a passport -- they are great to have. You'll no longer find yourself limited on where you can travel (although some places require a visa as well). And, you'll have the additional peace of mind, knowing that, should an emergency occur during your cruise to Bermuda, you can easily hop on a plane there, and fly home -- something you would not be able to do with a BC/DL. :cool:

While it's true that you don't 'need' one, anyone leaving US soil should always take a passport with them. You always hope you won't have a reason to be grateful you got one but if you ever do, you sure will be glad.

For future reference, although legally you can cruise on a closed loop cruise from the US without a passport, it's really a terrible idea to do so. This unfortunate situation you are in is just one example of why. If something were to happen, such as an accident or sudden illness and you wound up hospitalized outside the US, then you would miss your ship and have to fly home. Without a passport, you would have to wait until you got out of the hospital and then go the US embassy and get a passport in order to be able to fly home. Never travel internationally by any means (airplane, ship, train, car) without a passport. Too many things can go wrong.

Wishing you much success in getting an expedited passport this week.

Well looks like my only option is going to the DMV to see what they can do for me. I looked into going into Boston for my passport and you NEED an apt and the first available apt is June 26th (the day I leave) no-where on the page says you can walk in. Over and over it says you NEED an apt!!!!!

And to the wise *ss that said..."I hope I'm not driving home" Really!!??

Thanks..but we have friends driving and picking us up!!!

Thank you again, for all your comments. I read each and everyone of them...and a lot of them are very helpful.

Expired Driver's License + paper saying you have renewed it, even if you don't have your new driver's license yet, is a valid license.

The OP has stated in post #43 that in their state, Massachusetts, they take the old expired license from you and give you the paper. So they will not have their expired licence and paper. Only the paper.

I would go the expedited passport route through the Passport Agency in Boston. They will need to make an appointment through the automated phone system and need to take proof of travel. Though they should be able to pick up their passport later that day.

It will be expensive, but not as expensive as not getting a refund on a cruise they could be denied boarding.

Edited by dioxide45
typo