Yet another coffee question

deanman02

Coffee is free in the dining room and Horizon Court.

And room service. There's all kinds of free coffee. It's the same as other cruise lines' coffee, from a syrup that's basically instant coffee. It's OK, just not the kind I really like.

Jim

Just back from an Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess. The dining room/Horizon Court coffee was BETTER than the "fresh brewed" in the International Cafe and the Patisserie! Really! And, this is a first for us, on all other ships we've sailed the coffee card is our savior, as far as good, tasteful coffee is concerned. Quite an anomaly.

I tend to drink the coffee that others characterize as "swill". Granted, it is extremely variable! I have had a very good cup of coffee at lunch and then asked for a refill and got... horrible sludge. It was obviously a different batch. One cup was excellent (really!) and the next tasted pretty much like the stuff I used to make early (very early) in the morning on a camping/fishing trip. I used a small cup and put two heaping tablespoons of instant coffee into it along with two packages of instant cocoa mix. It was horrible stuff but OMG it got me going!

I always purchase a coffee card for my wife. On our upcoming 17 day cruise I actually have a couple of coffee cards. My wife is totally covered and I can have fresh-brewed coffee as well. (I don't do the "buy one card and scam fresh-brewed coffee for two" thing.)

Some people must have "great" coffee all the time. I can make do with almost anything.

Going on my first Princess Cruise and I am concerned about the coffee. I have heard the horror stories about it being made with some sort of syrup. To comment on something posted before......Azamara, NCL and Celebrity make their coffee in the buffet and dining room from beans/brewing. I have witnessed it firsthand. Where do you go on Princess to get coffee if you have bought a coffee card? I will be sailing on the Emerald. Also wondering what sort of coffee cream they have available? Cold half & half, little non refrigerated cups, powdered (chemicals) regular milk? I must admit, I do like very good coffee. Sometimes it is difficult to find when you are traveling anywhere!

Going on my first Princess Cruise and I am concerned about the coffee. I have heard the horror stories about it being made with some sort of syrup. To comment on something posted before......Azamara, NCL and Celebrity make their coffee in the buffet and dining room from beans/brewing. I have witnessed it firsthand. Where do you go on Princess to get coffee if you have bought a coffee card? I will be sailing on the Emerald. Also wondering what sort of coffee cream they have available? Cold half & half, little non refrigerated cups, powdered (chemicals) regular milk? I must admit, I do like very good coffee. Sometimes it is difficult to find when you are traveling anywhere!

The best place to get coffee with your coffee card is next to the International Cafe. Real cream or milk is always available. I always splurge on a cruise and get real cream for my coffee instead of the fat free coffee creamer I use at home.

Boy, I hope that tongue is in your cheek again.

Jim

Yes, partly. I do, however, wonder as to the wisdom of drinking too much coffee [or tea], given the caffeine content. Some folks seem to be virtually addicted, in that they appear to have a coffee cup permanently attached to their hand.

Going on my first Princess Cruise and I am concerned about the coffee. I have heard the horror stories about it being made with some sort of syrup. To comment on something posted before......Azamara, NCL and Celebrity make their coffee in the buffet and dining room from beans/brewing. I have witnessed it firsthand.

From the NCL forums:

"NCL is not the only cruise line to have poor coffee"

From the Celebrity fourms:

"But I have tried the basic coffee a few times and found it to be inconsistent, sometimes OK other times awful"

From the Azamara forums:

"Fix the coffee!!"

Yes, partly. I do, however, wonder as to the wisdom of drinking too much coffee [or tea], given the caffeine content. Some folks seem to be virtually addicted, in that they appear to have a coffee cup permanently attached to their hand.

Ah, the caffeine police have arrived! What's a good CC thread without a lecture on one's habits? :rolleyes:

The "syrup" coffee can be good one time and awful the next. I always spring for a coffee card and order a latte.

As a regular coffee drinker I can say that the only real "Excellent" coffee is Kona coffee from Hawaii. Have yet to experience it on a cruise ship, however I can live with what's available. I always buy a coffee card, primarily because my DW loves a daily Latte, and the IC makes a very decent one.

The coffee delivered every morning to our cabin via room service is good enough, especially since the excellent service more than makes up for any less than "Excellent" quality..

After all what is better than that first cup sitting out on the balcony in the morning?

Dixon:cool:

As a regular coffee drinker I can say that the only real "Excellent" coffee is Kona coffee from Hawaii. Have yet to experience it on a cruise ship, however I can live with what's available. I always buy a coffee card, primarily because my DW loves a daily Latte, and the IC makes a very decent one.

The coffee delivered every morning to our cabin via room service is good enough, especially since the excellent service more than makes up for any less than "Excellent" quality..

After all what is better than that first cup sitting out on the balcony in the morning?

Dixon:cool:

Obviously the only thing better is having the first cup of tea in the morning on your balcony!

I am not a coffee drinker, but DH says it tastes like Taster's Choice to him (taste varies depending on the drinker:rolleyes:).

As a regular coffee drinker I can say that the only real "Excellent" coffee is Kona coffee from Hawaii.

I suggest you search out 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee. I prefer it slightly to Kona, and it is smooth as silk.

Unfortunately, like Kona coffee, Blue Mountain Coffee is often sold as a blend of only 10-20% of what you really want. 100% Blue Mountain Coffee is also horribly expensive, but you know the old saying ...

Back on topic, if one has a coffee card or has purchased the all-inclusive beverage package, can a brewed coffee be ordered in the restaurants or must one request a specialty coffee or espresso in order to get non-syrup coffee?

Edited by johnnycruise

Back on topic, if one has a coffee card or has purchased the all-inclusive beverage package, can a brewed coffee be ordered in the restaurants or must one request a specialty coffee or espresso in order to get non-syrup coffee?

Brewed coffee is not available the dining rooms even if you wanted to pay for it.

Not sure about the specialty restaurants.