Tipping on Seabourn, acceptable though not expected..or not?

Kevnzworld

Right you are Oregon50. There are folks who feel they need to throw around $$$ (I've met / seen more than a few); there are those who discreetly hand over some $ to whomever they felt deserved it for whatever reason; some who leave something for their stewardess (guilty as charged in most but not all cases); others give to the CF (guilty again); and others - as we did on our first cruise - believe in the concept of SB: to wit I paid my money (more than on another line had I wanted to take that route) and I do not have to tip because the FARE includes paying the crew a living wage. Realistically, the price of a SB cruise is not that of a mass market cruise, and part of that is, you are NOT EXPECTED to have to open your wallet every time a crew member does something for you. That is part of high-end travel, whether on a cruise, a high end AI or elsewhere - you pay a higher rate and get exceptional service because the staff is well compensated vs. their competition that works for the "tip" and therefore favors whomever they think will result in the biggest spiff.

At the end of each cruise I transfer my unused OBC to the crew fund.

I only tip an individual if he/she has performed a special service that is not included in his/her usual duties.

I always complete the comment cards and try to say something special about each of the staff, by name, who performed above my expectations.

The shift from the little sisters to the big ships has indeed altered Seabourn. The Yachts of Seabourn has changed to the Seabourn Cruise Line. Alas.

Edited by GreatTimes

At the end of each cruise I transfer my unused OBC to the crew fund.

Seabourn changed their policy and you can no longer transfer OBC to the crew fund. I tried on my last cruise to transfer OBC + some other to ge tto what I wanted to contribute and was told that is no longer allowed.

Seabourn changed their policy and you can no longer transfer OBC to the crew fund. I tried on my last cruise to transfer OBC + some other to ge tto what I wanted to contribute and was told that is no longer allowed.

I can confirm the above is true. However, to be technically correct, while you can no longer apply your non-redeemable OBC to the crew fund, you can apply your redeemable OBC.

(Non-redeemable OBC = use it or lose it, i.e. first timer referral credit, shareholder credit, etc.

Redeemable OBC = get a refund - in cash or to your credit card - if unused at end of the cruise, i.e. purchased for you by your friends/family, travel agent, etc.)

I think tipping in what is supposed to be a non tipping environment can lead to a degradation in the overall quality of service. You don't want Seabourn staff turning into say some of the staff Crystal has where the only time you see them is the last few days and the only work they do is angle for a tip. It's potentially very corrupting and totally ignores the people that put the person you're tipping into a place where they can provide the level of service you're getting (and tipping on).

• 3 years later...
I think tipping in what is supposed to be a non tipping environment can lead to a degradation in the overall quality of service. You don't want Seabourn staff turning into say some of the staff Crystal has where the only time you see them is the last few days and the only work they do is angle for a tip. It's potentially very corrupting and totally ignores the people that put the person you're tipping into a place where they can provide the level of service you're getting (and tipping on).

Does tipping the hostess in Thomas Keller ensure a walk-in?

So do I. I hate it when people (it does happen occasionally) tip in advance. I also wish people would not tip at all, but instead give good reports on staff who have been excellent, both on board to their immediate superior, and also in the post cruise survey. This helps those who are really good to get promotion. Also, it is a nice gesture to give towards the Crew Fund.

Pavovsky , why the question . Do you think this may have happened or did you want to try it yourself?

I certainly did not try it myself. Just observed a tip been given and quite surprised. Wondering was this something which happens.

I certainly did not try it myself. Just observed a tip been given and quite surprised. Wondering was this something which happens.

Some people tip heavily. On our last cruise - which was 36 days - I heard that the person in the Signature Suite planned to give $20/day. :o:eek:

We did leave something for our stewardess but nothing like that. The amount doesn't really matter. The point is that she knew that we appreciated everything she did for us.

I also made a point of handing her the envelope personally so that I could thank her at the same time.

I did check with the Guest Services Manager (Nick Botha) to make sure what we were doing was appropriate and he was fine with it.

I certainly hope not. I would not be impressed. If I saw this happening I would be mentioning it to the Hotel Director. Bribes are not acceptable.

Julie

When on Celebrity in June we had quite a few meals in Murano - we did tip but to the waiter directly who told us it was not necessary or expected but they did pool them as it was a team effort. To clarify - Murano is an additional cost speciality restaurant and perhaps the one which consistent over six meals delivered the best service and food this year.

Perhaps culturally I don’t understand tipping the hostess when in my opinion the critical work is done by the wait staff overseen by the Maitre D’.

Sadly it seems a bit obvious that someone tipping a maitre'd or seating hostess is hoping for a table, or better table, next time?? Unless of course it is on the last night of the cruise.

I agree.

In my early days on Seabourn I saw someone enthusiastically greet and then give the Restaurant Manager what looked like a huge tip (lots of notes) on embarkation day in the Colonnade. Couldn't work out why anyone would do that.

I worked it out when I was refused an available window table in the MDR the next evening, and shortly afterwards I saw the RM seat tipping guy there. And he was at the same table every time I went into the MDR during that cruise.

Very interesting thread.

We donate to the crew welfare fund. We’ve also been known to pay for a round of drinks for crew members when we happen to see them out in port. Sometimes when a crew member tells us about a favorite bakery treat or other local delight in an upcoming port and we know they had to stay onboard, we’ll bring a small treat back for them. We compliment, by name, effusively on the mid- and post-cruise surveys when warranted (always pointing out specific behaviors we found above and beyond). We’ve occasionally, with permission from the Hotman, left an untouched bottle of champagne specifically for our suite stewardess (now that they are allowed to have wine in their cabins, many consider this a special treat). We’ve brought on holiday specific treats when sailing certain times of the year (Halloween candy, Christmas/New Years treats).

But we’ve never given cash tips!

Omg, I can’t believe this old thread I started three years ago has been resurrected! .....that being said, I’ve now sailed on Seabourn perhaps 7-8 more times as I approach 300 days.

My perspective has changed somewhat.

I still give my stewardess a gratuity, based on how many days I’ve been on the ship.

Sometimes I give the baristas or wait staff something if there’s someone that’s helped me a lot. I never give anyone a gratuity until I disembark. There’s no formula, and as I think about it, I haven’t given a gratuity ( tip ) to a host or hostess in years....

Obviously I fill out the comment card and notate everyone that I appreciated, and the list is generally a long one.

I think everyone should do as they like, and be guided by their own sense of propriety and conscience.

Very interesting thread.

We donate to the crew welfare fund. We’ve also been known to pay for a round of drinks for crew members when we happen to see them out in port. Sometimes when a crew member tells us about a favorite bakery treat or other local delight in an upcoming port and we know they had to stay onboard, we’ll bring a small treat back for them. We compliment, by name, effusively on the mid- and post-cruise surveys when warranted (always pointing out specific behaviors we found above and beyond). We’ve occasionally, with permission from the Hotman, left an untouched bottle of champagne specifically for our suite stewardess (now that they are allowed to have wine in their cabins, many consider this a special treat). We’ve brought on holiday specific treats when sailing certain times of the year (Halloween candy, Christmas/New Years treats).

But we’ve never given cash tips!

Seriously impressed by this approach.

We don't tip. We donate to the crew fund. I make notes through the cruise of the names of the crew members who have particularly impressed us and make sure to fill out the surveys to mention them.

Thanks jenidallas for the heads up about the crew now being able to have wine. I imagine we'll do the same as you on our next cruise since we don't drink the NF, I'll speak to the HotMan and ask if it's ok to leave it for our stewardess.

Indeed!

We look forward to hopefully meeting you on the Lisbon-Barbados leg in a couple of months!

Yes! We often go to the Observation bar before dinner, I like to sit at the bar...I’m a 60yo guy with my somewhat younger Latina looking wife.

Say hi!