Avoiding Buffet

We are headed out on Freedom on Sunday. What are some suggestions of places you can eat at upon boarding while avoiding the buffet? Are the MDRs open?

Thanks!

MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day. Other options are Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's.

On the Royal Promenade deck 5 you will find Cafe Promenade with sandwiches etc on the left past Guest Services and further down on the right towards the front is Sorrento's Pizza with salads and antipasti etc

Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos. If you board reasonably early, both will likely be calm and have seating, especially Cafe Promenade. Later in the boarding process, all bets are off. We always boarded early!

Once the cabins are available, the Windjammer calms down dramatically!

Roast Beef Sandwich (with extra au jus) from Cafe Promenade. 'Nuff said. :D

Are you talking about the Roast Beef sandwiches from Park Cafe? Freedom doesn't have a Park Cafe. Cafe promenade sandwiches are on little rolls or croissants and are premade, not sliced to order.

We are headed out on Freedom on Sunday. What are some suggestions of places you can eat at upon boarding while avoiding the buffet? Are the MDRs open?

Thanks!

"Avoid" the WJ on boarding day :eek: What are you thinking...that's all part of the fun :D:D

"Avoid" the WJ on boarding day :eek: What are you thinking...that's all part of the fun :D:D

Oh my gosh, SOOO agree with you! That's our tradition - lemonade for him, iced tea for me (with 2 Splenda, thank you), and enjoying the WJ offerings. Our vacation has begun. :)

Thanks!

Avoid the WJ -- HEAVENS no....on embarkation day, that is the signal for the start of our cruise....we board early by 11:30am for sure....casually walk around, head to WJ, enjoy early lunch since we had a very light breakfast. I especially like the paella and the strawberry melon drink with a little salad.

Don't overly linger, but generally meet others from our Roll Call in the WJ around noon; enjoy a little comraderie with them while eating....after that....find a lounge chair on the pool deck until cabins are available....then head to cabin to drop off carry ons...then hopefully find a place in the sun until Muster.

TRADITION.....

Avoid the WJ -- HEAVENS no....on embarkation day, that is the signal for the start of our cruise....we board early by 11:30am for sure....casually walk around, head to WJ, enjoy early lunch since we had a very light breakfast. I especially like the paella and the strawberry melon drink with a little salad.

Don't overly linger, but generally meet others from our Roll Call in the WJ around noon; enjoy a little comraderie with them while eating....after that....find a lounge chair on the pool deck until cabins are available....then head to cabin to drop off carry ons...then hopefully find a place in the sun until Muster.

TRADITION.....

I'm with you. We're the same way. Be among the first to board the ship and head directly to WJ. Since no one is there yet we get our pick of tables with no problems. Head directly to the back of the buffet (thus avoiding the newbies who don't know about it) and have our plates of food within 5 minutes of getting there. By the time we're done they're announcing cabins are ready and we head directly there to stow our carryons. Our luggage is either already in our cabin or outside our door. Meet our steward, grab our cameras and then off to explore the ship and take lots of pix with no pax in them. Back to the cabin at 3 to unpack, then a mini CC meet & greet at the Pool Bar and then do muster drill. Yeah, tradition!

Edited by Teeara

Either get there early and try to be one of the first onboard and go directly to the Windjammer OR wait until around 1pm like Carol said. You should not have any crowds either way. Getting to the Windjammer right at the time the doors open you can generally be done and out of there WAY before the masses arrive.

One of my favorites parts is that first trip to the WJ, seeing so many people with HUGE platefuls of food, as if they either haven't eaten in days or this is their last meal for the week... Then, a couple days into the cruise, those same people (well...most of them) have realized there is no need to hoard food. :D

Oh my gosh, SOOO agree with you! That's our tradition - lemonade for him, iced tea for me (with 2 Splenda, thank you), and enjoying the WJ offerings. Our vacation has begun. :)

Same here. We love the Windjammer.

I'm with you. We're the same way. Be among the first to board the ship and head directly to WJ. Since no one is there yet we get our pick of tables with no problems. Head directly to the back of the buffet (thus avoiding the newbies who don't know about it) and have our plates of food within 5 minutes of getting there. By the time we're done they're announcing cabins are ready and we head directly there to stow our carryons. Our luggage is either already in our cabin or outside our door. Meet our steward, grab our cameras and then off to explore the ship and take lots of pix with no pax in them. Back to the cabin at 3 to unpack, then a mini CC meet & greet at the Pool Bar and then do muster drill. Yeah, tradition!

I'm with you, I will add the Freedom class having the biggest WJ in the fleet does help. Though I'm with the OP on the Oasis class, but there you have more choices.

One of my favorites parts is that first trip to the WJ, seeing so many people with HUGE platefuls of food, as if they either haven't eaten in days or this is their last meal for the week... Then, a couple days into the cruise, those same people (well...most of them) have realized there is no need to hoard food. :D

I remember our first cruise and our first visit to WJ. We were sailing with 6 other friends who had all cruised before....we were the newbie to it. For months they were telling us all about what to do, how to do, it what we won't believe etc, etc. We did not get to the ship as early as we do now (one of our friends isn't much of an early bird, so we did not leave our house until 11am or so to drive to the port with car service).

At checkin there were lines, and it took probably 45 minutes to get onto the ship after car service dropped off 6 of the 8 in our group going to the port together. The other couple was joining us later.

So that first walk into the WJ we were part of those larger crowds. One from our party went to find a table....they found a big round one, that we could all fit in. The way Navigator was organized the lines were easy to follow. Guess what even the couple arriving later found us easily.

So navigating the buffet, I never thought was ever a problem -- if they could find us in such a busy place. So this newbie to cruising thought it would always be fun.

But what a great time, just having lunch.

Never seen these, not even once, in the Cafe Promenade. "Nuff said."

Never saw roast beef sandwiches in the Café Promenade on Indy. They do have these wonderful shrimp rolls and various chicken or veggie wraps throughout the day and the cheese cake pops are a wonderful snack.

We always hit the WJ on boarding day and since we board early, usually don't have issues getting a table. But we've always been four people.

This August I have three teens coming with me so we'll be 7 people. None of the teens have sailed before and one is very particular about what she eats (she will pass up heavier foods for a plate of veggies and salad) so I think for our group, WJ is going to be the right place again.

However, we're not going to be at the pier at 10:30 unless we make great time from the airport. Flight lands around 9:30, then out to get luggage and meet the car service. I'm hoping to be there by 11 if all goes well.

I'm a pretty laid back, easy to get along with person on a cruise, so the WJ has some fond memories of people watching. Ignoring the improper handling of food by passengers and crew, just the odd things people do in the WJ entertains me.

Unfortunately Windjammer is the only place to serve proper food during embarkation. If one is happy with sandwiches and pizza then Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's are the only other options.

Looking deeper into it, it is quite a limited choice.

For me, we have to avoid the buffets this time as husband just recently in remission from cancer. Trying to avoid all of the germs we can so it looks like Pizza for us. How soon can you order room service once cabins are open at 1? Does anyone know? Might be our best bet since we are in a GS.

For me, we have to avoid the buffets this time as husband just recently in remission from cancer. Trying to avoid all of the germs we can so it looks like Pizza for us. How soon can you order room service once cabins are open at 1? Does anyone know? Might be our best bet since we are in a GS.

I don't think room service is available until after muster.