Strange question on what to wear in port

We are going to be on the Adventure this September, and I was wondering if some islands were more " conservative" in what they consider respectful clothing. We will be leaving San Juan and will be visiting St. Croix, St. Maarten, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. We are just going to be hitting the various beaches, so I was wondering if we could get away with just wearing cover ups over our swim suits, or if that will be frowned upon in a few places and have to wear shorts and a Tshirt over our stuff. I'm just looking at simplicity and not having to schlep as much stuff to the beach, and not having to worry about our clothes getting wet from the swimsuit. Thank you in advance :D

I think you will probably get some conflicting advice here - some people on vacation will say "wear what you want". Others will say cover up until you get to the beach. Personally, I know for certain a couple of things: in Barbados, you must not wear any kind of military fatigues or camouflage clothing (not that you would, but just take heed of the warning). Also, my husband grew up in St. Lucia and it is "frowned upon" to wear beach clothing in town. I doubt anyone would ever say anything, but locals are respectful and the local women wear skirts, dresses, or pants in town, never shorts.

Having said that, I'm sure you will find what works for you, but I have no doubt you will see all manner of dress from cruise ship passengers and tourists in each of your ports.

Have fun! :)

Thank you for the quick reply. I knew about the camouflage clothing being a no no, but thank you for the heads up. Hmm, maybe we can figure something out in St. Lucia like lightweight linen pants or something like that. We will just being going from the port to the beach and back, I doubt we will be in town.

Shorts are fine in ANY of the Caribbean ports....no matter what locals might wear! A decent swimsuit cover up is also fine for heading to the beaches....I'm talking something that actually covers you up..not an open weave, short/short cover!!!

I usually throw a sundress (very casual) over my swimsuit...hubby just puts a tee shirt on with his swim trunks...guys don't need shorts over trunks, but if they're wearing a speedo...PLEASE cover that...no one wants to see it!

Shorts are fine in ANY of the Caribbean ports....no matter what locals might wear! A decent swimsuit cover up is also fine for heading to the beaches....I'm talking something that actually covers you up..not an open weave, short/short cover!!!

I usually throw a sundress (very casual) over my swimsuit...hubby just puts a tee shirt on with his swim trunks...guys don't need shorts over trunks, but if they're wearing a speedo...PLEASE cover that...no one wants to see it!

Double thumbs up on the Speedo cover. :D

A lot of times we tend to over think this stuff. At home for the short golf cart ride to the ocean, I wear a shirt and shorts or light caftan over my swimsuit. DH wears a t-shirt over his trunks. About the only time I wear a swimsuit cover is on the ship from cabin to pool.

Plus, you will be walking a ways in most ports from the ship to your transportation and from your transportation to the beach. At least one person will be carrying some kind of beach bag with towels, sunscreen and water so 2 t-shirts and a pair of shorts would go in the bag until you head back to the ship.

Hey CB - I don't recall noticing you're from Fredericksburg. DS and her hubby lived up that way for a few years before heading back to the beach.

Edited by temple1

We are going to be on the Adventure this September, and I was wondering if some islands were more " conservative" in what they consider respectful clothing. We will be leaving San Juan and will be visiting St. Croix, St. Maarten, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. We are just going to be hitting the various beaches, so I was wondering if we could get away with just wearing cover ups over our swim suits, or if that will be frowned upon in a few places and have to wear shorts and a Tshirt over our stuff. I'm just looking at simplicity and not having to schlep as much stuff to the beach, and not having to worry about our clothes getting wet from the swimsuit. Thank you in advance :D

It really depends on what else you will do. If you are spending any time in town, it is always appropriate to wear something other than just a cover-up. You have many different cultures at play.

Also, you are going on a port intensive trip. There is so much to see and do in these islands. Many of the things you don't need an official excursion to see. You can easily do with a taxi.

I think the biggest factor is, what is your definition of a "cover up" over your swimsuit?

If it's basically a mini-dress, something that keeps your "bra and panties" covered up and out of sight, then you'll be fine.

If it's a gauze-or-mesh type of open robe that your boobs and butt cheeks hang out of for all to see, then you're gonna want to put some actual clothes on.

I love the pareo wrap skirts over a bathing suit.. if you tie them up high they can even be a sun dress... you can go anywhere.. I usually put a tee shirt on over bs with a pareo wrap... you can buy them at the docks for a 7 to 9 $$.. all different island print., etc...sometimes you can even find them in marshalls... or tj max in the summer...

My "cover ups" are what some would use as a sundress and they work well in the islands to go to the beach, town, etc. My husband wears his long shorts style swimsuit with a t-shirt and looks appropriate.

Sherri:)

All we will be doing is going to the beaches. With my Mom's health being the way it is, we don't want to be caught somewhere and have her not feeling well. That's why we're just touring all the beautiful beaches this route has told offer :DWhen she needs a bathroom, she needs it NOW, not in half an hour or so. My "cover up" really is more like a short sun dress, Mom's is mesh, but goes to her elbows and down to her knees. Not sure what mysister had up her sleeve lol. I hope these will work. Mom will probably continue to wear hers even at the beach lol.

How loose a knit is your mother's mesh cover-up? Or perhaps I should ask how much does it reveal what is beneath? I feel a cover up that does actually cover up would be better. I've seen so-called cover ups that covered up virtually nothing. Maybe I am old fashioned, but there are so many kinds of things you can wear that will be less revealing and they don't cost much at all.

It's a pretty fine mesh and is black. It actually matches her swimsuit, so it kind of looks like all one piece. I was just hoping we wouldn't have to change of clothes with us, but it's sounding like it might be the best. I just hate schlepping a bunch of stuff all over.

It's a pretty fine mesh and is black. It actually matches her swimsuit, so it kind of looks like all one piece. I was just hoping we wouldn't have to change of clothes with us, but it's sounding like it might be the best. I just hate schlepping a bunch of stuff all over.

She should be fine in that. I wouldn't schlep a bunch of stuff, either!:D

Sherri:)

In all of the Carribbean ports we went to, I just wore my swimsuit with a coverup over it, and my DH wore a shirt and his swim trunks. I wanted to be ready for the beach, but also look clothed if we were walking around town or eating at a restaurant, and I did NOT want to hassle with changing in and out of things. I actually had two cover-ups that were sheer lace, but what I did was wear a solid color light weight tank dress under it for walking around town, and just the sheer cover up over my swim suit for walking around the beach. I'll see if I can attach some pictures so you can get an idea.

Edited by AndreaDH91483

If I am doing a beach excursion~ I am in my bathing suit with a cover up.

If I am doing a sightseeig excursion~I am usually in a cotton t and pair

of bermuda shorts.....(well, they usually come to my knees)........

As for what type of cover up? I usually wear one that goes over my head

and is totally opaque in color..so you can't see my suit under my cover

up....usually lightweight cotton...sometimes it is sleevless, sometimes

a tank style, sometimes a cap sleeve and it would come to my knees.