How rare are meats in the MDR?

Flo71

In the DR I still order a New York which comes out cooked to perfection. :)

i also have salt free so they do not add MSG.

If folks do not speak up in a nice:)way that is their own fault.

Considering the volume of passengers I have been surprised at the quality at times.Find lunch time in dining room is a little doubtful little rehash from night before methinks. ;):)

Edited by kruisey

Many cruises ago we stopped ordering steak in the MDR. Always thought it wasn't a quality steak. If we want a steak we go to one of the specialty restaurants. :)

Agree. I think the quality of the beef in the MDR has gone down in recent years. Anyone else remember when rib eye was on the menu for every cruise? And it was good.

Why pay $25 cover charge when you can get the same in dining room.If it is on the menu at Fillet Mignon that is what it should be not an imitation one.Otherwise put a cheaper cut on the menu.I know that cruising solo I pay a good price for my cabin and food so I am not going to pay an additional $25 for the privilege of having good steak;).

That is my personal opinion and I am sticking to it;);)

No, you're wrong there. You're paying $25 because the steak is totally different. You can't compare the steaks in the MDR with the Crown Grill. IMHO, $25 is a giveaway price for a three course steak meal. You would pay more for a similar steak on it's own here in the UK.

DW and I are on the opposite end of the meat spectrum I like mine rare, she likes hers [when she has it] cremated. Neither of us have ever had trouble getting how we like it either in the MDR or the buffet.

No, you're wrong there. You're paying $25 because the steak is totally different. You can't compare the steaks in the MDR with the Crown Grill. IMHO, $25 is a giveaway price for a three course steak meal. You would pay more for a similar steak on it's own here in the UK.

I've never sailed on a ship with Crown Grill but a few with Stirling Steakhouse, I think it is $25 well spent if you are a steak lover.

And if you want 2nds ask and a 2nd steak will appear.

Why pay $25 cover charge when you can get the same in dining room.If it is on the menu at Fillet Mignon that is what it should be not an imitation one.Otherwise put a cheaper cut on the menu.

There are different grades of beef. The grades served in the dining room is less than Sterling Steakhouse/Crown Grill.

It is not the same as the dining room.

With the price I pay for my cabin and board if its not to my satisfaction I get it changed .As I have mentioned before a fillet Mignon is a fillet Mignon.I am not prepared to leave it on my plate and not eat it because it is not up to my expectations then moan about the poor quality of food.

Apart from that dish there are many cuts of meat,fish,poultry that if prepared properly can be just as enjoyable to the palate.

Me thinks a lot depends on the head chef .

I worked in big hotels in my youth and like every profession there are SO So,OK, and really talented folks in the kitchens.

I remember sitting in an office on board talking to the Hotel Manager of the ship ,many of us were disappointed with the dining room meals.I said 'Saw all this food at the pier being loaded,it just needs preparing well. There was a huge difference after that ,we all enjoyed our meals:)

It isn't just Princess. I had a steak on Carnival that was so loaded with MSG (or something) that it was mushy and gray!:eek:

And you actually ate that? There is absolutely no excuse for serving something like that. If I was served a steak that was "mushy and gray" I would have asked to speak with the head waiter and asked him if he was willing to eat something like that.

Be aware that if you order a steak rare in the main dining room you may be asked to sign a release for ordering undercooked meat. Happened to us several times. My husband prefers rare in most steaks, and after sending one back three times the head waiter came with a book and asked him to sign it as they could not serve anything rarer than what he was getting without it.

One other time, when ordering a hamburger from room service he ordered medium rare and when they brought it he had to sign a release.

It can be a struggle, but you can get what you want if you are patient.

Be aware that if you order a steak rare in the main dining room you may be asked to sign a release for ordering undercooked meat. Happened to us several times. My husband prefers rare in most steaks, and after sending one back three times the head waiter came with a book and asked him to sign it as they could not serve anything rarer than what he was getting without it.

One other time, when ordering a hamburger from room service he ordered medium rare and when they brought it he had to sign a release.

It can be a struggle, but you can get what you want if you are patient.

I have not seen them do that in quite some time. I have signed a few in the past. :D

Have not asked me to in a couple of years at least.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Been asked to sign a waiver.If meat is certified and not contaminated why would anyone ask you to sign? Makes me wonder where that piece of meat came from and I would get highly suspicious:eek:

Have never been taken ill eating blue steak.I nearly wrote something starting with R just then but thought I better not;)

I like my steak, any meat well cooked ie dead. If it is not ok when I have indicated to wait staff when ordering what I want I send it back. Have never had any issues. I like to have an appetiser, a main and dessert so often do not finish all of my main. I once had head waiter visit the table to check if all was OK with meals as they had noticed I often did not eat all of my main. I thought this was good service.

I was once in an all night diner around midnight and a patron at another table ordered his steak "very rare."

The first three times it came it was cooked too much for his desire. Obviously once you have cooked meat past what the patron wants, you need to start with a new piece and try again.

Finally the staff told him that cooked any less it would be raw. The man said that would be fine. Warm and raw would be perfect.

Edited by caribill

I don't remember when I last had a good piece of beef on a Princess cruise or cooked to where I ordered it. I just order my beef rare and expect it to arrive medium rare to medium well.

LOL! I ordered the beef medallions in the MDR two weeks ago and they were surprisingly quite good. I like my beef still mooing, so very little chance of getting it served that way on any ship.