WalMart in Ketchikan?

TXRed

Does anyone know if there is a Walmart in Ketchikan?

Is my friend pulling my leg? And if so, how far from the cruise pier? My DH will surely forget something very important. LAst time it was underwear. :D Thanks in advance.

Edited by TXRed

Does anyone know if there is a Walmart in Ketchikan?

Is my friend pulling my leg? And if so, how far from the cruise pier? My DH will surely forget something very important. LAst time it was underwear. :D Thanks in advance.

The Walmart store itself is a few miles outside of town, but the free Walmart shuttle picks up passengers on Main Street right beside the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, a short walk from most of the cruise ship docks.

Just ask anyone where to find the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, a large building (indicated by the star on this map)

Downtown_Map_Secondary-wo-Highlight_2.jpg

On one trip to Ketchikan our shuttle bus driver told us that when the WalMart first opened the locals were so excited that they bought the place out.

It had to close to restock after the first day.

No idea, but it makes a nice story.

There absolutely is a free shuttle bus to WalMart. We saw it and laughed, but then realized of course that several crew members were on it and yeah, it was a good idea. :p:D

You can google the information and get location and map.

Thanks....love there is a free shuttle...especially for staff to use.

The Walmart store itself is a few miles outside of town, but the free Walmart shuttle picks up passengers on Main Street right beside the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, a short walk from most of the cruise ship docks.

Just ask anyone where to find the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, a large building (indicated by the star on this map)

Downtown_Map_Secondary-wo-Highlight_2.jpg

Thanks so much!!

It can be extremely difficult to get space on the Walmart crew shuttle. It's small and those crew members are intent on rushing on an off the shuttle. :)

You can get to both Walmarts in Ketchikan and Juneau by city bus. It does take time, but I have gone to both of them easily

What do you need at a Ketchikan Walmart that you can't get from a Seattle/Vancouver Walmart?

We will not know until we get on the ship and unpack if we forgot anything and we are not going to Vancouver.

My DH will surely forget something very important. LAst time it was underwear.

Instead of planning to forget something, why not take a few minutes and make a packing list? I see that mentioned on these boards all the time but I have never done this. Some people swear by them. I'm sure you can get a template online somewhere. Then you can just check off everything as it gets packed and you shouldn't have to worry about forgetting something. Just a suggestion. :)

Instead of planning to forget something, why not take a few minutes and make a packing list? I see that mentioned on these boards all the time but I have never done this. Some people swear by them. I'm sure you can get a template online somewhere. Then you can just check off everything as it gets packed and you shouldn't have to worry about forgetting something. Just a suggestion. :)

Thank you for your suggestion...I do use a packing list, but I have a husband...nuff said! :p

I had a friend that lived outside Wasilla. When Walmart opened in Wasilla, they didn't take into account "permanent dividend fund" day, the day that Alaskan residents receive their checks. Apparently they sold out very quickly. They actually built a new store across the street to get a larger building. So, I believe that the store sold out on day 1. You need to remember, these small Alaskan towns don't have the main stores like we do in the main states.

It can be extremely difficult to get space on the Walmart crew shuttle. It's small and those crew members are intent on rushing on an off the shuttle. :)
BQ, have you tried taking the Ketchikan Walmart shuttle recently?

The Walmart people are apparently well aware of the problems with the previous mad rush mob scene where some crew members would push their way in ahead of waiting elderly passengers.

The last time we used their shuttle, they had employees at the shuttle stop handing out numbered tickets in the order in which people showed up.

They did enforce boarding by number at both ends of the route, and emphasized that everyone had to take a ticket and board by number, regardless of whether you were a local resident, crew, or cruise ship passenger.

It was an orderly system that worked very well.

Edited by varoo

If anyone is stopping off at Walmart on the return bus ride from Totem Bight - Potlatch Park, you can ask the driver for a transfer.

Then when ready to leave Walmart to go back to your ship, you can take either the Walmart shuttle or the city bus, whichever is leaving first.

Their pickup points at Walmart are only a short walk apart.

On one trip to Ketchikan our shuttle bus driver told us that when the WalMart first opened the locals were so excited that they bought the place out.

I was living there then and headed up the group that got WalMart to locate in Ketchikan. They didn't close the store after the 1st day but the shelves were pretty empty. WalMart said per square foot it is one of the highest revenue producing stores they have.

• 5 weeks later...

We were told a similar story about the McDonalds in Juneau :D

We've seen the Walmart shuttle park/pickup right in front of where our RCI ship has docked in Ketchikan...I noticed it immediately and would have hopped on if I had the time.

Sorry, but I can't resist the local t-shirt souvenirs that I find at them all over the world :eek::D

Why should anyone even bother to answer a question like this?

LOL - this poster has a real "thing" for Vancouver...(s)he advised me on another thread to do my whale watching and ziplining in Vancouver and Whistler instead of at the ports on my upcoming cruise. Completely unrelated to the question I asked, but whatever, thanks for the (unhelpful) input! :D Maybe (s)he works for the local Chamber of Commerce?

Edited by ronandannette