Formal Attire - Perhaps a Twist on the Usual Question

Nezmo

It seems most of the questions about formal dress are about whether you can get away with less than formal in this venue or that. My question is different. If I chose to wear formal wear in the upcharge restaurants like Sabatini's and Crown Grill, and even the MDR every night would I look badly out of place? I work mostly form home and spend 90% of the year in very casual clothes and I look forward to opportunities to dress up when available. I am sure one or two nights will be casual for us but for the most part I'd like to be formal.

By formal I mean suit and tie or at least sports coat and dress shirt with or without tie.

My first Princess cruise (10 day Caribbean) is coming up so I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

Many thanks

It seems most of the questions about formal dress are about whether you can get away with less than formal in this venue or that. My question is different. If I chose to wear formal wear in the upcharge restaurants like Sabatini's and Crown Grill, and even the MDR every night would I look badly out of place? I work mostly form home and spend 90% of the year in very casual clothes and I look forward to opportunities to dress up when available. I am sure one or two nights will be casual for us but for the most part I'd like to be formal.

By formal I mean suit and tie or at least sports coat and dress shirt with or without tie.

My first Princess cruise (10 day Caribbean) is coming up so I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

Many thanks

No you would not look out of place at all.

We frequently see people dressed to the nines on many other nights besides formal night.

Some do like to dress up and use the cruise as a great chance to enjoy in just that fashion. ;)

No you would not look out of place at all.

We frequently see people dressed to the nines on many other nights besides formal night.

Some do like to dress up and use the cruise as a great chance to enjoy in just that fashion. ;)

Great to hear, thanks.

No, you would not be out of place, My last cruise was the only time that I did not wear a tie to dinner every night.

My son is going on a cruise with us next March. He is the same way. He works as a chemical manager at a CO OP in Nebraska and they never get a chance to dress up. He and his wife a considering going retro and looking for a tux or dinner jacket from the 70"s. They are big disco fans.

No, you would not be out of place, My last cruise was the only time that I did not wear a tie to dinner every night.

My son is going on a cruise with us next March. He is the same way. He works as a chemical manager at a CO OP in Nebraska and they never get a chance to dress up. He and his wife a considering going retro and looking for a tux or dinner jacket from the 70"s. They are big disco fans.

That's great!

While we are not particularly seasoned cruisers, we have never found semi-formal or formal is out of place. I have always taken a suite and sports coat but now I have added a Tux to my selection. DW also loves getting dolled up and we dress for ourselves. If others chose not to wear those types of clothes then so be it. We have always been a little strange, or so I have been told. :eek: :D

My husband generally wears a tux since he owns one and enjoys dressing up on occaision. He certainly is one of the few who get so dressed up, and people always compliment him on how dashing he looks - especially the men. It's a novelty and he enjoys it. People are dressed in everything, so where what you enjoy.

On our Ruby British Isles cruise last summer, there were many men (although mostly of a "certain age") who wore a jacket and tie to dinner every night. They lent an air of elegance and distinction to the MDR. I loved it.

I do not think I have ever heard of anyone saying some one should not wear a Tux or even a suit and tie in any venue. You should wear what you are comfortable with and the ship allows. Do not worry about what others might think.

Many thanks

If it makes you feel good just do it!!! I do all the time.

Tony

I go with what I'd do on land...

I wear a dark suite to every dinner in the MDR and specialty restaurants - just as I would at a nice dinner restaurant on land. Non-formal nights is a blue shirt/ no tie; formal nights it's a white shirt and tie. Easy peasy.

I do own a tux but prefer to pack as lightly as possible so leave the tux at home. I do think those in a tux look particularly nice and it often makes me think I'd like to have mine. But when packing up I'm glad again to not have it.

I would not wear a suite to a casual restaurant nor buffet thus don't to the IC, HC, nor Alfredo's.

This is all just my approach and by no means a prescription for what others should do. I say be on vacation, dress as you wish, and choose the venue to match your mood and attire.

From the bottom of my heart I would like to say thank you! I am an oil field worker therefore I wear FR (Flame Resistant) jeans and shirts to work every day.... It is great for my ob but when the DW and I get on a cruise we really really look forward to getting dressed up. Before our last cruise I even bought my own Tux....We are one of those that believe in that formal night mean FORMAL! More power to you!!!!

From the bottom of my heart I would like to say thank you! I am an oil field worker therefore I wear FR (Flame Resistant) jeans and shirts to work every day.... It is great for my ob but when the DW and I get on a cruise we really really look forward to getting dressed up. Before our last cruise I even bought my own Tux....We are one of those that believe in that formal night mean FORMAL! More power to you!!!!

A great post

I read all these questions about formal nights and people worrying because they don't want to spend money for a gown or tux or even a suit. On most cruises what I call "country club dinner" dress works. For ladies this is a nice dress any length or nice slacks and fancy top, for men a jacket and tie with dress slacks is fine. If you want to dress up more fine but those who don't that is fine too.

Edited by janrey1234

Yes, for the record my question was in no way trying to fan the flames of what is considered okay for formal nor am I getting at those who choose not to be formal. I know what I like to wear and I was just trying to see how that fits in to things on Princess. I appreciate all the feedback on that. Thanks all.

Edited by Nezmo

If you want to dress up then do so. Rather than being out of place you will likely enhance the atmosphere of the ship for many other passengers.

Agreed. Just imagine how nice is would look if everyone dressed up every night! Now that would cause quite a stir on Cruise Critic.

Many thanks

After 25 years of cruising and my husband bringing all the appropriate clothes, I now say dress in dress slacks and a polo and I will get dressed in my gown and my hair up. Really, dress as you want. It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed. We have seen women who are less dressed on formal nights and get away with it. Enjoy youself.