Second thoughts on the 14 night southern caribbean cruise in April 2016!

Ozy71

We are booked on the above and having done some more research

it appears that beaches are the major attraction. We are not beach people and given that we are traveling from Australia, are we likely to be disappointed?

it appears that beaches are the major attraction. We are not beach people and given that we are traveling from Australia, are we likely to be disappointed?

If you are not beach people, it would be best not to go to the Caribbean on any line. And every line the sun and pool are the on ship attraction. :o

There are things to do, but on sea days, you are in the hot Caribbean.

We are not beach people. We do go up to the pool decks, seek shaded areas and DW reads books. I listen to iPod, enjoy watching ocean, smell salt air, feel the gentle breeze, drinking beers. Naps are also a good afternoon activity. I also walk a lot for exercise early in morning so I can eat more the rest of the day and not gain weight during cruise.

As to your itinerary, it is a great one. We last did it in 2012 on Constellation. Want to do Eclipse. Wanted to do it in 2016, but it will have to wait. DW has other plans.:roll eyes:

I would go if I were you!

I think you need to consider what you would do on each island. If you do not want to spend time at the beaches, which is a major (probably THE major) attraction on most islands, think about what else you would enjoy doing on each island. They all have different things to offer including interesting sightseeing, activities like horseback riding, diving, etc., boat trips, nice shopping on some islands, etc. Or would you be happy just hanging out on the ship during some port days and relaxing on your balcony, doing activities on the ship?

We aren't beach people and never have had a problem enjoying every Caribbean island we have step foot on. We've traveled by land and sea to the islands for almost 50 years and only a few islands on a western itinerary don't thrill us.

Most have historical sites which you, as Aussies, should truly relate to. The British influence remains in the BVI of course, but you might feel right at home seeing relics of the Union Jack in so many places.

Many of the islands have such varied topography. Many have beautiful gardens and others are arid - very diverse environments.

Where else can you go for two weeks without packing and unpacking and have so many different experiences?

Hi Ozy71.

Bob and Christine from the Gold Coast, Queensland.

We also have been looking at the same cruise on the Eclipse for the 14 nighter in the Caribbean. We cruised in the Caribbean a few years back on a not so good ship, however the Eclipse is rated TOP NOTCH.

Now, we live on the Gold Coast and love the water, snorkeling ect ect however if you are not beach people I probably wouldn't recommend it for you. This particular Caribbean cruise is supposedly the best the Caribbean has to offer after reading a lot of research and we wouldn't hesitate to go when we can.

HOWEVER. You could still go and enjoy the beautiful ship and the cruise without doing water activities.

Oh, what a decision you have.

P.S. We have done 2 Mediterrean cruises in the past 4 years and loved it as well. Might pay to look at that option.

Cheers Bob & Chris.

We are very definitely NOT beach people. For our 40th wedding anniversary, we wanted to be on a cruise on the day itself. We researched the whole market and, eventually, had to "settle" for a 14-night Caribbean cruise.

We LOVED it but had a number of other cruises in the pipeline. We finally got them done and, by the end, could not wait to get back to the Caribbean. The two cruises we have booked currently are 14-night Caribbeans and we spend our time dreaming of being in the Caribbean.

On our latest cruise, we completed our "world cruise" so we have been to very many destinations on cruises. For us, there is nothing as restful as a Caribbean cruise - not even transatlantics or transpacifics.

We have done this cruise 4 times since November 2012 and have 2 more booked. We have done over 100 days in the Caribbean on cruises and I shudder to think how many days in Caribbean resorts over the years (probably double the cruise total) and have spent 3 days on a beach.

We find plenty to do on all of the islands and would recommend this cruise to anyone.

If you log onto Celebrity's excursions you will see the wide range of tours available. You do not need to book with them but you will get the idea....

We have visited historical plantations, rum distilleries, followed in the footsteps of pirates, hiked up mountains, taken helicopter flights......

We have also just enjoyed wondering around the ports, having a nice tropical drink, people watching.

If after looking at the excursions you really feel your holiday may be lacking then, look again and try to decide what you really want out of your holiday.

We enjoy the Caribbean because it is very relaxing but there is always something to do. We find when we cruise Europe and Asia unless there are lots of sea days we feel we need another holiday to recover from all our touring.....

There is a place for both holidays...sometimes we want busy, busy, sometimes more relaxed.

Hope you are able to decide. Have a great cruise whatever option you go for.

As others have said there is a lot to do on these islands. We did the Eclipse last February and have it booked again for 2017 because we enjoyed it so much. We did island tours on most islands and it amazed us at just how different each one was. They are all beautiful in their own unique ways. The people are so welcoming and happy to show you their heritage. We missed the beach time on this cruise as we only went to a few beaches and so will make a point to include much more beach time in 2017. Enjoy, no matter what choice you make. Good luck in your decision.

We've done the 14 night Eclipse cruise once - and although we did do some snorkeling - we weren't hanging out at the beaches. We now live in Florida and don't need to do that or hang by the ship's pool. :D There are plenty of activities to do on the ship besides be at the pools - of course one of my favorite things is to be on my own balcony. Each island is so different - so varied that you'll have plenty of choices of what to do without hitting the beach. GO! I think you'll have a wonderful vacation.

Edited by Jane2357

I agree with most of the people who have posted on this topic. I don't hang out at the pool; when we're in port, you won't find me on a beach.

I have been to most of the Caribbean islands on numerous occasions, as I have been cruising since 1978. I love, love, love the Caribbean. You will find plenty of things to do; sometimes I do walkabouts, then head back to the ship to explore and enjoy it....

There is so much to see and do in the Caribbean; don't miss it because you aren't "beach people...."

DH and I are not beach people. We just did this cruise in March. Did not go to the beach, did not go to the pool. Did not wear our bathing suits even once. LOVED the cruise. Had the most fabulous dinner table, met wonderfully interesting people.

We did different things in port everyday. Did the submarine dive in Aruba, a photography tour in Curacao, an Island tour in St Lucia, toured the spice plantation in Grenada, took a cooking class in Antigua, golfed in St Kitts, did a segway tour in Barbados, and I think we took a hike in St Maarten.

On the ship, the Eclipse has the hot glass show which I love so I was never bored on sea days.

So, unless you would rather spend your travel dollar visiting some other location, take the cruise. The excursions are mostly beach oriented, but there are many other things to do and see.

DH and I are not beach people. We just did this cruise in March. Did not go to the beach, did not go to the pool. Did not wear our bathing suits even once. LOVED the cruise. Had the most fabulous dinner table, met wonderfully interesting people.

We did different things in port everyday. Did the submarine dive in Aruba, a photography tour in Curacao, an Island tour in St Lucia, toured the spice plantation in Grenada, took a cooking class in Antigua, golfed in St Kitts, did a segway tour in Barbados, and I think we took a hike in St Maarten.

On the ship, the Eclipse has the hot glass show which I love so I was never bored on sea days.

So, unless you would rather spend your travel dollar visiting some other location, take the cruise. The excursions are mostly beach oriented, but there are many other things to do and see.

We did a segway tour in Barbados too. Did your segway tour go to the countryside and ride in fields with goats, cows and stop by cliffs overlooking the ocean? For me that was one of my top 10 excursions ever. They let us just run the seaways up and down the dirt road at the end. Had a blast.

We too are not beach people and did a 14 day Caribbean cruise in January. For us it wasn't worth the money or time.

To be fair, we have done many shorter Caribbean cruises so have seen a number of Caribbean ports/islands. We have done the submarine, ruins, zip lining, etc. We booked this cruise because it had a number of islands we hadn't been to previously and to get away from the cold. We did island tours in many ports, DH snorkeled once or twice. We felt like the islands began to all look pretty much alike.

If you haven't been to the Caribbean before and plan activities for the ports you should have a great time.

The ship, crew, food and service were fine.

We did this cruise in March as our 5th, and probably final, Caribbean cruise -- and were very happy to end on such a high note! It covers a good cross-section of islands (although, like lager beers, they are all pretty much the same with only subtle differences), and most importantly is on a great ship! We don't do beaches or the pool, so having seen almost every Caribbean Island (and the Panama Canal, which would be the only itinerary I would suggest in preference to this one) we're done. But it would be a great first Caribbean cruise!

We also enjoyed the Segway tour in Barbados just as you described. We did a Segway tour in Aruba last cruise and although it was enjoyable the one in Barbados was much more enjoyable because it was out away from other people.

Did you do the photography tour with Gail in Curaçao? Would you recommend her tour?

We did a photography tour/class in St. Lucia that was outstanding.

We have completed two of these cruises and have two more booked. It is our two week January escape.

Edited by jagoffee

We are not beach or pool people. We love the warm Caribbean sun. There is plenty to do or do nothing but chill out. Love to Cruise the Caribbean. Our favorite place to Cruise. If you aren't sure what to do in the ports on your itinerary go to the Ports Of Call section of CC to find out or ask a question on what to do at the different ports on your Cruise. We are doing the 3 April 2016 Cruise on the Eclipse.

Edited by davekathy

We did a segway tour in Barbados too. Did your segway tour go to the countryside and ride in fields with goats, cows and stop by cliffs overlooking the ocean? For me that was one of my top 10 excursions ever. They let us just run the seaways up and down the dirt road at the end. Had a blast.

Yep! We had a good laugh when they told us to avoid the cow patties! Still talk about it. :D:D

Was this a ship's tour or private tour, please?

Did you do the photography tour with Gail in Curaçao? Would you recommend her tour?

We did a photography tour/class in St. Lucia that was outstanding.

This was a private, very private (just DH and I), tour with Gail. I found her on trapadvisor. It was great. After asking us exactly what we were most interested in photographing Gail took us all over the island and then we had a delightful lunch overlooking the bay. Gail is very personable, easy to be around, a good photographer and knows where to take you to get a great picture. She will be happy to give you suggestions on how to frame your view, use leading lines, and adjust your camera setting. I would highly recommend her!!

We did the Southern Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse last year and will do it again next March (Eclipse) and November (Koningsdam). We've also visited many of the same islands on other cruises and when staying at resorts. Although we enjoy the water and beaches, we loving touring and seeing the many other aspects of island life and culture. The biggest problem you'll have is trying to decide which of the many ship, private and DIY excursions to choose.

This was a private, very private (just DH and I), tour with Gail. I found her on trapadvisor. It was great. After asking us exactly what we were most interested in photographing Gail took us all over the island and then we had a delightful lunch overlooking the bay. Gail is very personable, easy to be around, a good photographer and knows where to take you to get a great picture. She will be happy to give you suggestions on how to frame your view, use leading lines, and adjust your camera setting. I would highly recommend her!!

Tudy, thank you. We have her booked for January. Nice to hear about your positive experience. I also found her on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for responding. We are on the island for two days and I was stuck for something to do.

Tudy, thank you. We have her booked for January. Nice to hear about your positive experience. I also found her on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for responding. We are on the island for two days and I was stuck for something to do.

You are very welcome.

I personally think an overnight in port is great for photographers. It gives you a chance to get some awesome pics at sunset and sunrise! Enjoy.:D