Sharing a cabin.

AloraDanin

Hello All,

I'm wondering if there's a site where you could find someone to share a cabin.

I am married, but hubby is going off to Machu Picchu and because of health issues I can't go, so thought I'd take a cruise, but don't want to pay the single supplement.

Thanks for any advice.

Barbara

As a solo cruiser, I can understand your concerns about single supplement, but also as a solo, I would never, ever cruise with a stranger. Cruise lines used to pair solos, but they don't do that anymore because of the problems that happened.

If you just go to a website and ask for a travel mate, how do you really know what kind of person you're going to be with? Sure, they might seem nice online, but in reality, how do you know you'll be compatible? What if your personalities clash? Do you mind sharing a tiny bathroom with a stranger? What happens if they want some intimate time with someone they met on board? Where do you go? What happens if you discover that your travel mate is a real creep? You could find you've wasted a lot of money on a miserable trip. There have been many horror stories about people who've cruises with a stranger and the cruise turned out to be terrible.

Do you have any friends or relatives you could travel with? Co-workers? Someone from your church or other place where you can actually meet someone face to face.

I think Kitty has given good advice. A match-up arranged on something like Craig's List could turn into a horror show. Sure, the odds are that nothing really bad would happen, but sharing with a complete stranger has so many potential down-sides. Putting out the word among relatives, co-workers, church or synagogue members might work, but you would want some sort of connection at the least.

Sorry, I am not aware of such a site. I also agree with the previous responses. The last thing I would want to do is share a small stateroom and bathroom with a total stranger for a fixed period of time with no option "out" on a vacation that could be ruined by what could easily be a terrible experience as a result. IMO it would not be worth the money saved. I would think long and hard about signing on for something like that and my advice would be don't do it!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Oh hell no! I figure that's like a blind date - that lasts 7, 10, 15 days. I bite the bullet and pay the single supplement so I don't have to share the cabin/bathroom with a stranger.

I am married, but hubby is going off to Machu Picchu and because of health issues I can't go, so thought I'd take a cruise, but don't want to pay the single supplement.

Thanks for any advice.

Barbara

Holland America has its Singles Partner program.

Two of the most prominent singles cruise sites allow matching. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to mention them here.

Certain ships on some lines have cabins that are purpose-built for one occupant.

There's more discussion of the single tax and other subjects at our own Solo Cruisers sub-forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 .

Google to find sites listing reduced or no single supplements. I booked a mini suite on th NCL Gem with zero supplement. There are deals out there you just have to hunt a bit.

Edited by Zippeedee
Typo

Hello All,

Thanks for any advice.

Barbara

Some of the river cruise lines are offering waived single supplement cruises. Maybe check out one of those.

When I was younger and did many coach tours in Europe, I always agreed to be matched up to avoid a single supplement. I had fairly good results with my roommates but I would not consider rooming with a stranger on a ship. Today I pay the single supplement, maybe not happily but knowing it is the only way for me to cruise.

I met a woman on my last cruise who uses one of the single matching sites for every cruise. She has had very positive results. To each his/her own!

Although... when I was MUCH younger, I used to take advantage of the share booking on the cruises chartered by Atlantis Events. What made this semi-acceptable was that those interested in sharing or those needing space were all vetted by management at Atlantis.

Several lines currently have single cabins. Royal Caribbean's brand new Anthem of the Seas sailing from New York beginning in November. Also Cunard's Queen Elizabeth has single cabins. NCL's Breakaway also sailing from New York to Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean features cabins for single passengers.

Jonathan

Many thousands of people have done this in the past with good results. You will be paired with another female, and statistically the chances of her being an axe murderer are slight. Besides, her axe will be taken off her at check-in. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I think a lot of the arguments are a bit over the top - the idea of not going because it might not be great is a bit bogus IMO, because you could travel alone and it still might not be great. Only one way to find out.

There are loads of public rooms, so you can literally use the cabin only for getting dressed, washing, and sleeping. Unless you get a room-mate from hell, that should probably be bearable.

Many thousands of people have done this in the past with good results. You will be paired with another female, and statistically the chances of her being an axe murderer are slight. Besides, her axe will be taken off her at check-in. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I think a lot of the arguments are a bit over the top - the idea of not going because it might not be great is a bit bogus IMO, because you could travel alone and it still might not be great. Only one way to find out.

There are loads of public rooms, so you can literally use the cabin only for getting dressed, washing, and sleeping. Unless you get a room-mate from hell, that should probably be bearable.

I agree. I've had the cruiseline match me up with a roomie three times, for cruises of 33, 34, and 35 days. The first two were wonderful; the last---not. But I survived, figuring the first two shares paid for the third cruise.

I find it easier to have a stranger for a roomie than someone I know, since I can be assertive about working things out, without being concerned about impact on an on-going relationship. I'll likely never see the person again!

Besides, I find most people are reasonable, and willing to work things out. Communication is the key to making a share work.

If the choice is sharing with a stranger, or staying home, I'm sharing.

But sorry, OP, I don't know of any place to find someone to share with, other than the cruiseline itself.

Good luck in your quest.

OP...could you ask a relative or good friend to go with you? :)

As an add on, maybe you can offer to pay 25% of their cruise. Then you're paying 125% (less than the 150% solo supplement), and they're paying 75% (less than 100%). win-win?