not dropping prices-right!!!

So they have said they are refusing to drop prices. Our 8/28 Enchantment cruise has SOOOOOOO many cabins available it is crazy. Right now 29 balconies alone are open.

Yesterday the inside cabins dropped. thought they were not doing that????

So they have said they are refusing to drop prices. Our 8/28 Enchantment cruise has SOOOOOOO many cabins available it is crazy. Right now 29 balconies alone are open.

If our two enchantment cruises this year are any metric, any drops you're seeing are from a cruise price that was elevated more than 50% in the past year. We just got off of EN last week (OV cabin), and the price per person two weeks before we sailed (even with the BOGO "deal") was more than we paid in total. Our October EN (JS) is up (after BOGO discounts) by almost $700 from what we paid. IMO, a "discount" from an inflated price that doesn't even get you close to what the price was on openng day is no bargain.

I have not seen that. What they said is if they drop the price at 40 days out they won't drop it anymore, or 30, or 20, or 10 days out, so a cruise that has not dropped in price could drop at any of these points, but not any more.

$379 pp for an inside on a 3 nighter. What a blow out deal...

That's what I am seeing as well. When I first read the thread I was thinking that I was going to see a price under $200 pp

$379 pp for an inside is no bargain, that's for sure;)

I think RCL meant the last minute way under $200 fares like we have seen in the past few years.

Edited by molly361

I am on the 8/21 enchantment cruise and my TA called me the other day and Royal was offering a paid upgrade of $30 to go from a interior to an ocean view and $120 to go from the interior to a balcony. I took the $30 to the oceanview.

I think there may be a new definition for "sold out."

Just got off the 7/31 to 8/3 Enchantment sailing which was "sold out" and my wife and I commented over and over, where is everybody? Tons of cabins available a few weeks before and then, poof! They all seem to go away except for a handful at really stupid prices.

The new normal may be 90% capacity at $400 to $500 pp min is better than 100% at whatever it ended up when the last 15% went for $175 pp.

Diamond lounge @ 6:15 night two - 16 people!!! 8 of those at one table. Chairs at the pool - available all day, anytime, any pool. Solarium - never saw it even HALF full. Dinner (Chops or main dining) - numerous open tables.

Just seemed an odd cruise not like any we've taken so far - and this was in the middle of the summer which we seldom do.

John

I think there may be a new definition for "sold out."

Just got off the 7/31 to 8/3 Enchantment sailing which was "sold out" and my wife and I commented over and over, where is everybody? Tons of cabins available a few weeks before and then, poof! They all seem to go away except for a handful at really stupid prices.

The new normal may be 90% capacity at $400 to $500 pp min is better than 100% at whatever it ended up when the last 15% went for $175 pp.

Diamond lounge @ 6:15 night two - 16 people!!! 8 of those at one table. Chairs at the pool - available all day, anytime, any pool. Solarium - never saw it even HALF full. Dinner (Chops or main dining) - numerous open tables.

Just seemed an odd cruise not like any we've taken so far - and this was in the middle of the summer which we seldom do.

John

We were on Enchantment for the weekend cruise over Easter. Paid $1000 for a deck 3 OV last minute price. DL only had us and another couple two of the nights. Ship was packed though

Fain can posture all he likes. CCL and NCL will gladly fill their cabins with the folks that would've otherwise been on a ship "of the Seas". Empty cabins don't make money. Even if the company only breaks even on the fare by dropping prices to fill the ship, many of those last minute guests would have likely gambled, bought bar drinks, ate at Chops or taken excursions.

I think they'll continue puffing their chests, and displaying their plumage like proud peacocks for a while. After saving some face, the notion will eventually fade away.

Edited by DarthGrady

:(

Still plenty of interiors and ocean view cabins for the 4 night on 8/24 as well. Also a much better value than the 8/28.

Interiors from $279 and OV's from $299. We got upgraded from an aft JS to an aft RFS even though it's only the two of us.

My friends have all said they are now doing Carnival. My TA agrees many are leaving for Carnival prices.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you see how many cabins are open?

Go to UK site or a TA website that shows unsold cabins is one way. I am sure there are others

Maybe that was two. :sly:

Edited by John&LaLa

$379 pp for an inside on a 3 nighter. What a blow out deal...

I think RCCL will (and does) do whatever is necessary to manage the inventory on any given cruise. I had not checked any prices before-hand, but we just happened to book our upcoming Alaska cruise two days after "final payment", when many cabins are released back into inventory. We paid $429 pp for an Inside GTY, which I have a hard time believing wasn't a reduction from the original pricing. As the inventory sold out, the pricing went up again to more than $300/pp above what we paid.

Fain can posture all he likes. CCL and NCL will gladly fill their cabins with the folks that would've otherwise been on a ship "of the Seas". Empty cabins don't make money. Even if the company only breaks even on the fare by dropping prices to fill the ship, many of those last minute guests would have likely gambled, bought bar drinks, ate at Chops or taken excursions.

I think they'll continue puffing their chests, and displaying their plumage like proud peacocks for a while. After saving some face, the notion will eventually fade away.

Well count me in that category. I just cancelled Grandeur, booked Carnival Pride, with a similar itinerary and date. It's 2 days less, but I'm saving $1,500 and upgrading from an OV to Balcony!

I actually started out reading reviews of the Quantum Class, and find the situation for the passengers and crew appalling. With recent cuts and price hikes, arrogant statements from Mr. Fain, I've decided to no longer support this line until it's under new management.

I have an inside cabin on the Freedom in two weeks. It cost me $1300 when I paid for it a month ago. Yesterday that same cabin came up for $900 for Sept. 20, so my husband and I are going again in Sept., booking a cabin for each of us (he snores!). I'm going alone this month. I couldn't pass up that price - under $2,000 for a seven day cruise for two - and two cabins! The prices DO drop.

Well count me in that category. I just cancelled Grandeur, booked Carnival Pride, with a similar itinerary and date. It's 2 days less, but I'm saving $1,500 and upgrading from an OV to Balcony!

I actually started out reading reviews of the Quantum Class, and find the situation for the passengers and crew appalling. With recent cuts and price hikes, arrogant statements from Mr. Fain, I've decided to no longer support this line until it's under new management.

If you feel so strong about RCL's situation why don't you cancel the Grandeur and Summit cruises.

Ps. Out of the 25+ cruises, my Quantum cruise was one of the best--excellent food and entertainment.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. People complained for years about last minute price drops. So RCCL said they wouldn't do price drops and people began complaining. So now people are thinking (or actually) seeing them dropping again and people are complaining. I'm not sure exactly what you want? Most of us on here have cruised many times. We are all aware that the prices change frequently. With the internet its unbelievably easy to track. The cruise industry honors all drops prior to final payment, but doesn't require any increases, even to change cabins if the same category. So that's a great deal. So after final payment you're locked in. So what? You've had the HUGE advantage of selecting a desirable cabin and holding it for months. Those who wait get what's left. You've had the advantage of booking at a price you like and even getting any drop with no problem, those who wait pay what they pay, higher or lower. You've had the advantage of saving up the money over a number of months. Those who book late pay 100% on the day they book. And you have the advantage often of a great upgrade for little or no cost after final payment. So, what's the big deal? I hope they continue to do last minute drops. I will retire in a year and live within driving distance of Miami. So if 2 weeks out a great deal pops up, I'll jump on it. And I like the possibility of upgrading to a better cabin for little or no cost if I booked early.

Royal Caribbean, like all cruise lines, price to fill their ships and make money. If a cruise isn't selling they lower the price until it does. If it's selling fast, they raise the price to make more profit. Can anyone think of any recreation oriented industry that doesn't do the same thing? Airlines? Rental cars? Hotels?

If you feel so strong about RCL's situation why don't you cancel the Grandeur and Summit cruises.

Ps. Out of the 25+ cruises, my Quantum cruise was one of the best--excellent food and entertainment.

Grandeur is cancelled, I just haven't changed my signature. Fain is the CEO for Royal Caribbean, Bayley is the CEO for Celebrity. I don't see the same changes happening on the Celebrity end yet: not the degree of fare increase, beverage prices, staff cuts, nor do they have new ships with 50% positive reviews.

I don't believe in punishing Olive Garden because I don't like how Red Lobster is being ran.

You have to read these recent Anthem reviews to believe them! I realize that has little to do with Grandeur, other than cut staff in the Windjammer, but I choose to vote with my dollars with other cruise lines.

You have to read these recent Anthem reviews to believe them!

I know, I just read a bunch about 2 weeks ago and percentage who liked was at 58% now it's down to 50% percent. Something is going on there; it's not just a bunch of crabby people.