Have Princess went downhill? Or just Caribbean Princess?

Vespa vixen

Hey fellow cruisers, I hoped you could help me out here.

We have previously cruised on P&O, RCCL, Thomson & Princess.

Princess being our favourite by a mile.

We sailed on the Grand 3 times, last time being 3 years ago, twice before her refurb & once after.

Each cruise was just superb and could fault nothing.

A big thing was the entertainment throughout the day & evening was just second to none, just fantastic!

My kids are now teens (13 & 15) but have been cruising from a young age & this year we chose the Caribbean Princess as we loved the itinery for our dates.

We have just returned from a 14nt Med sailing from Southampton on 18th July.

One huge difference I noticed was the lack of entertainment!

What's happened to the big production shows, with singing, dancing etc?

In my opinion it was sub standard for a cruise & probably the worst I've encountered in all my cruises.

The entertainment team tried but there was just nothing there.

Other than an odd quiz, all the other entertainment was audience participation, where the staff sat back, judged and let the passengers provide entertainment.

Yes is good to see every now and again but part of cruising IS the entertainment and what the team put on.

I felt that the ship was geared up to sell, sell, sell!!

Loads of retail, art auctions, bingo, etc etc.

Went to a couple of seminars on well being, health etc and after sitting through a 45 min long informative talks etc, then the hard sell comes along... $300 for tubs of vitamin tabs & excercise sheet!!

Loads of wee things missing... Eg no cookies & milk trolleys poolside, not saying this in particular ruined the holiday, as it didn't, but it was small things like this that just made previous holidays for the kids a bit special.

I felt there was something seriously lacking on the ship, not just one thing but loads of small things.

There was also a strong smell of sewage in various parts of the ship, at different times of the day etc. This was obviously not pleasant.

We also had lots of welding going on just along from our cabin on 4 different days. Strong smelling of grinding/burning metal.

The food was fantastic as is to be expected, staff fab too, give or take a couple of rude ones.

I am looking to book our cruise for next year and I'm in a quandary as to which way to go.

Have Princess standards slipped across the whole line?

Or was CB just not the best ship?

Is the Grand still as wonderful as she was 3 years ago?

What are your views on the Royal & Regal?

Any advice or your views would be most welcome.

:)

You are going to get many opinions but comparing the Caribbean to the Royal/Regal is just not fair. CB is getting old. The production shows on Regal were much more professional. The decor on Regal was spectacular. MUTS was higher quality sound and picture. Your kids would probably enjoy a more active ship like Oasis or Allure.

I think Princess knows that their production shows are lacking ever since they went to the 30/35 min format. Maybe 10 years ago almost every production show received a standing "O". Now-a days standing "O's" are not that frequent, with only some passengers standing. This tells me something is not as good as it used to be. I did see the prod. shows on the Royal and they were very nice, improved from shows on other ships.

This past March Princess reported that they have hired Stephen Schwartz Oscar -winning composer to develop new shows. See this announcement http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2015/03/Princess-Cruises-Unveils-Ind.

I guess we will see comments on this site starting this fall.

Regarding other entertainment, it is always hit or miss. Sometimes the Crooner's piano player is exceptional, sometimes just so/so. Comics are mostly good, but the magic, mind reader and hypnotist acts are kind of boring to me. Other evening activities haven't changed much over the years, all the same stuff, and much of it passenger participation.

While older, 11 years, The Caribbean Princess is still a nice ship.

Edited by sknight

You are right entertainment has taken a dive over the last 5 years or so.

Sure they are trying to sell stuff onboard but why would you subject yourself to a seminar and not expect a sales pitch?

The Grand is my least favorite since removal of Skywalkers and the addition of one 5.

We actually prefer the guest entertainers...comedians and the like...much more than the production shows. We will go to a production show if it suits us and fits our schedule but we certainly aren't heartbroken if we miss it. Are the shows as good as the shows 10 years ago when we first started cruising Princess? I would have to say no, but for us its not a major issue.

Our cruise last year on the CB was quite enjoyable. Yes she is an older ship but is well maintained and the staff was very eager to please. If she was scheduled on an itinerary we wanted I would not hesitate.

Has anyone here seen "Fiera" on Regal? It was awesome compared to the usual song and dance numbers. And sorry, but eleven years is OLD for a ship (our balcony was really rusty). Do you drive an eleven year old car?

Skywalkers was dead on my CB cruise. Although it did have a great view!

Vespa - Do the kids help pick the cruise? I can't imagine any teenager being interested in a production show or lounge act.

Unfortunately, entertainment on Princess is not generally a highlight and, as ColoCruiser mentioned, it hasn't been for several years. However, I thought the Caribbean Princess was among the better ships we've been on for entertainment (so, if you didn't like it, know that it can be worse). It's just that so much of it is provided by fellow passengers (Princess Pop Star, Princess choir, karaoke, game shows, or trivia), or involves standing on the stairs in the Piazza for a glimpse of something happening there.

I like traditional entertainment on a cruise: a theater show (where everyone can get a seat 10 minutes before the performance) and musical groups. Princess seems to want to appeal to those who watch competition shows on TV, and has stated that they believe their passengers' short attention spans require them to have multiple, short duration things going on in the evenings.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

To answer some of the questions/comments etc.

The age of the ship doesn't bother me as long as she is kept clean & well maintained.

Unfortunately for us the maintenence on board CB was during our cruise & was quite disruptive.

Big production shows aren't something I would go and see at home but the big sit down theatre shows on the ships are something a bit different for me & the kids and something we enjoy.

I also enjoy a good comedian or unique act too but felt these were quite repetitive.

Hunky- I am only 45 & was widowed 2 years ago, so our holidays have changed somewhat.

The kids do help choose the ship/itinery etc and it's nice to do some stuff together on board & ship entertainment can be a good family thing.

I realise my kids want to do stuff with the friends they meet & use the kids facilities etc, but I feel quite alone on holiday now, due to my circumstances and good entertainment can be a family thing.

I suppose I want the best holiday for my family, as we all do.

Good food, good service, friendly passengers, relaxation , entertainment & good ports of call.

:)

Edited by Vespa vixen

I do not agree with either premise. After 40+ cruises, on a wide variety of cruise lines, like yourself, we have experienced excellent experiences and some not so much. On different cruise lines, including Princess. It seems to us that there are a couple of factors at play here:

1. Itinerary - on port intensive cruises, on most lines, the entertainment is a notch or two below what is on trips with only a few ports. This has been confirmed to us by onboard entertainment staff and multiple CD's. We have been on river cruises and other ocean cruises where some entertainment could be considered bizarre at best.

2. It is my opinion that everything you mentioned is subjective and everyone is entitled an opinion. Its just that ours differs from yours.

We will continue to cruise as long as we enjoy the overall experience and feel that we are getting value for money.

Safe cruising.

And sorry, but eleven years is OLD for a ship (our balcony was really rusty). Do you drive an eleven year old car?

Our cars are 13, 16, 27 and 41 years old. They have been well cared-for and everything works. Anything that has been worn has been replaced. Their paint shines.

Ships are the same way. If you take care of them, they last a very long time. If you don't take care of them, well ... let's just say they're like many aging rock-stars from the sixties and seventies. :eek:

Edited by beg3yrs

And sorry, but eleven years is OLD for a ship (our balcony was really rusty). Do you drive an eleven year old car?

11 years is not old for a ship. You cannot compare a ship to a car (besides the point that I have owned 11 year old cars and they have worked well).

Our cars are 13, 16, 27 and 41 years old. They have been well cared-for and everything works. Anything that has been worn has been replaced. Their paint shines.

Ships are the same way. If you take care of them, they last a very long time. If you don't take care of them, well ... let's just say they're like many aging rock-stars from the sixties and seventies. :eek:

Now the next question is:

Do you have work done on your car while you are driving it on the highway, or do you take your car to a garage to have it done (while you find other ways to get around).

At today's cruise fares, the cruise lines can no longer to take a ship out of service as often as we used to. Now we must do repairs and maintenance "on the run".

If you were forced to do that with your old car, there would be problems.

On an older ship - same problems.

11 years is not old for a ship. You cannot compare a ship to a car (besides the point that I have owned 11 year old cars and they have worked well).

Twenty years ago, 11 years was NOT old for a ship.

Today that is no longer the case.

Many cruise ships built after 2005 have thinner steel in their hulls, cheaper construction in public areas, and much more throw away technology.

I never recommend anyone travelling on a ship that is older than 10 - unless they are adventurous and enjoy putting up with challenges.

After almost 50 Princess cruises, I don't really go to any of the production shows unless I absolutely have to. If I hear about a good comedian while on board I will try and catch him/her. I do like the CB even though many complain about the rust and being old but I just love the way it's laid out and love the fact that it has WS!!!

I'm not sure if Princess was ever that well known for it's production shows and entertainment??? I also agree with the OP that much depends on the itinerary and those that are port intensive don't have the demand for nightly entertainment.

Many cruise ships built after 2005 have thinner steel in their hulls, cheaper construction in public areas, and much more throw away technology.

I never recommend anyone travelling on a ship that is older than 10 - unless they are adventurous and enjoy putting up with challenges.

The good news is that any ship 11 years old or older was build before 2005

Vespa - My condolences to you. Have you thought about bringing a friend along with you? The bed in your cabin can be split in two.

Beg - I'm sure there are great differences in power, technology, safety and efficiency between your vehicles. I used to drive a twenty odd year old car that was like yours well maintained, etc. It didn't have antilock brakes, no air bags, and certainly no navigation, Bluetooth, nor satellite radio or video capabilities. Yes, ships that are loved and cared for do last a long time. The QE2 comes to my mind with nearly forty years of service. Personally, if i'm paying nearly the same for an old ship versus a new one, I'd pick the new one.

Spyro - What is WS? I must of missed it. Thanks Google, WS = window suite.

Edited by HUNKY

Just like refrigerators for the home, your automobiles, and just about everything else you purchase these days.

We have just returned from a 14nt Med sailing from Southampton on 18th July.

One huge difference I noticed was the lack of entertainment!

What's happened to the big production shows, with singing, dancing etc?

You should have had at least three of those production shows on your cruise.

They will be shorter than in the past, 30-35 minutes compared to the former 45-55 minutes.

I could never understand why people complained about the "new" shortened shows in the theater because from what I've seen, the level of entertainment doesn't warrant more than 1/2 hour.

:):D:)

Srpilo

Has anyone here seen "Fiera" on Regal? It was awesome compared to the usual song and dance numbers. And sorry, but eleven years is OLD for a ship (our balcony was really rusty). Do you drive an eleven year old car?

We are talking about a 300-500 million dollar investment. I'm pretty sure when a cruise line finances a ship, they believe it will last longer than 10 years. Ships aren't throw away investments, they mega investments that are most likely forecasted to last decades.

We have seen some very good entertainers on some of our Princess cruises. The Diamond Princess from Australia to Singapore had a comedian -singer named Bayne Bailey. He was a phenomenal performer. That was last year. Then, on another cruise there was a Dan Blocker look-a-like who was hilarious. We also saw Jason Lapley, the performer who created the history of dance. Lately, he performs in Las Vagas.

Some of the production shows are okay, at best. Most are a little above "high school" performances. Before I get flamed, there are exceptions, like Elvis tributes, for example. Plus, likng entertainment is very subjective to the audience member.

My least favorite performers are the magicians. But, then, I don't like David Copperfield either. But, I especially disliked the magician who balled up toliet tissue and threw it over the auduence participant as part of his routine. How many times have I seen that done?