Why are staterooms on upper decks better?

Mango Mike

Hah, I think I figured it out.

Half way through my third margarita (and it's only Friday afternoon), the answer is - the cruise lines are playing a mind game on us.

The upper staterooms aren't better at all, the cruise lines just want us to think they're better so they up the price to make us "think" they're better.

Simple psychology - A "I must have the best" mentality equates into "if it cost more it must be better", soooo, I must have it!!!

Aaaaagh, I've fallen into their trap - time for another margarita.

On Deck 2 M Class midship we had our very own wake up call! Always heard the gangway being lowered every morning. Deck 6 port side on S class you get the smoke smell from the smokers and the noise from Deck 5. We have always preferred Aqua and we have never been bothered by noise from the deck above, but it is very handy to pick up our sushi and wine to have on our balcony.

So, the cruise lines are conning me and I'm too much of a mug to figure it out. It's a bit arrogant of some of you to suggest that I don't have a mind of my own, but here goes :

I like to dine in Blu

I get easy access to the relaxation room

I like to sit on the balcony but don't like to be in the sun

I wake early in the morning, before anyone starts putting the chairs out on the deck above

I go walking round the top deck early in the morning so it's just up one flight of stairs

I go for an early morning snack before breakfast starts in Blu

The above reasons are valid for chosing a high deck on Celebrity, but there are other perks on different ships (eg larger cabins on Britannia), so please don't suggest that I am being blinded by the marketing

Rant over

David

Hah, I think I figured it out.

Half way through my third margarita (and it's only Friday afternoon), the answer is - the cruise lines are playing a mind game on us.

The upper staterooms aren't better at all, the cruise lines just want us to think they're better so they up the price to make us "think" they're better.

Simple psychology - A "I must have the best" mentality equates into "if it cost more it must be better", soooo, I must have it!!!

Aaaaagh, I've fallen into their trap - time for another margarita.

What kind of Tequila are you using???? Just kidding!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Edited by dj_crusin

So, the cruise lines are conning me and I'm too much of a mug to figure it out. It's a bit arrogant of some of you to suggest that I don't have a mind of my own, but here goes :

I like to dine in Blu

I get easy access to the relaxation room

I like to sit on the balcony but don't like to be in the sun

I wake early in the morning, before anyone starts putting the chairs out on the deck above

I go walking round the top deck early in the morning so it's just up one flight of stairs

I go for an early morning snack before breakfast starts in Blu

The above reasons are valid for chosing a high deck on Celebrity, but there are other perks on different ships (eg larger cabins on Britannia), so please don't suggest that I am being blinded by the marketing

Rant over

David

In my opinion, all of your reasons warrant a stateroom on an upper deck, but that doesn't explain why, givin my theory above, they are considered better and/or cost more.

I think it's a historical carry-over. Back in the day, higher decks were really better because you were further away from the boilers (coal dust, heat) and better able to catch a breeze (pre-air conditioning -- I did say "back in the day" :)). So the idea took hold, and ship designers continue to follow it. But now, with clean propulsion, air conditioning, and elevators -- it really doesn't make much sense to get a cabin at the top of the ship (where it rolls the most -- this is Physics 101) and where you are not near anything except the pool and the buffet [ok -- personal preference: I avoid both those places] and where there is a noisy deck above you with staff or passengers making noise 18 hours a day. I look for a cabin that is surrounded on all sides (except the sea!) by other cabins, and then hope for quiet neighbors. And I'm very pleased that the middle decks cost less than the higher ones -- so don't spread this thinking around ;)

We've done two cruises: decks 11 and 3. Each are nearer different facilities, in stair-distance of some, and a lift/elevator to others. Pretty even balance between them. We liked seeing the sea apparently move past the window on 3.

On all decks there are cabins better or worse than others, but I don't see a great advantage in being higher. Are middle decks the worst of all? ;-)

Stuart

I agree with you Jazzbeau, but our choice is restricted since we need an accessible cabin, however I can't see the point of paying the extra for concierge or Aqua accessible balconies on 10 or 11 versus our normal choice of deck 7. All the cabins are equipped the same and are exactly the same size, which makes the canapies in concierge darned expensive and I could not live with the Blu overhang and support stays nor the possible noise from the lido deck above.

I believe that one reason for making cabins Concierge or Aqua class is to persuade people to choose what are otherwise less desirable cabins, a cunning plan improve their perceived value.

Yep, many of the Aqua cabins on S-Class are under the pool deck with a large overhang. Many of the Sky Suites are under the buffet area which can be noisy and have the large overhang also. The deck number has no relation to my planning. I look for quiet areas of the ship now and preferably between passenger decks.

Phil

We like the sun (very little sun blockage from overhang on deck 10)

We spend lots of time poolside and like to walk up and down just a few flights of stairs to pool/buffet to get some exercise. Also frequently walk down to dinner, shops, etc. Would not want to take elevator or walk up to pool from lower level cabins.

We usually book concierge cabin on Deck 10 when price is good for location and footstools.

Also think it is more peaceful sitting on our balcony when ship is parked dockside without being in full view of workers and cruisers leaving and returning to ship.

That being said, we did book a last minute cruise on Deck 6 once and enjoyed seeing the ocean up close.

So can we all agree there really is no definite answer?

I think we've come to the pre-conclusion that it is a combination of:
1) Marketing brilliance
2) Historical significance
3) Psychological cruise line brainwashing

Just for the fun of it, if I get some time, I might contact a couple cruise lines and ask them (yeah, like they have time to answer my stupid question).

[quote name='Airbalancer']I really do not care where the cabin is , just get me on the ship ![/QUOTE]

I so agree but... just booked a guarantee concierge class for a spring transatlantic because I don't want an obstructed view. The CCX was cheaper than the regular cabins where I could choose the location. If I got a regular guarantee I could not be sure my view would not be obstructed. Don't care where it is as long as for my 13 days I can gaze out at the ocean from my balcony. Some things just depend on the particular cruise and what cabins are offered at. I love Blu but not for thousands more. When I have had AQ I felt like I had to dine in Blue because of that extra cost. This time I will try more of the upcharge restaurants.

I agree with all of you in saying that location is a matter of preference and sometimes depending on the parameters some things are just not that important.

I definitely prefer deck 10 and an S1 suite. That would be my first choice when my travel account is full; however, it also depends on the price of airline tickets and whether or not I can be bumped up with miles. If I don't have extra cash, I opt for a C2 on the hump and on deck 10.
I really didn't enjoy deck 9 so I am back to 10 again...
I got an S1 on deck eight and upgraded once; however, the cabin attendants were no way near the caliber of deck 10.
Next year I will be on my first non-Soltice
ship...Millie. I am on deck 8 so I don't have the overhang to deal with going to Alaska!
I will dearly miss the S class ships, but I will keep an open mind.
I am sure that saving money and booking a lower deck is in the future, but IMO, nothing beats deck 10... Edited by Lastdance

[quote name='cindy1957']I so agree but... just booked a guarantee concierge class for a spring transatlantic because I don't want an obstructed view. The CCX was cheaper than the regular cabins where I could choose the location. If I got a regular guarantee I could not be sure my view would not be obstructed. Don't care where it is as long as for my 13 days I can gaze out at the ocean from my balcony. Some things just depend on the particular cruise and what cabins are offered at. I love Blu but not for thousands more. When I have had AQ I felt like I had to dine in Blue because of that extra cost. This time I will try more of the upcharge restaurants.

I agree with all of you in saying that location is a matter of preference and sometimes depending on the parameters some things are just not that important.[/QUOTE]
Inside balcony Aqu, I really do not care
Aqu is overrated for the price ,
my biggest pleasure is meeting people