How is the amount of your OBC determined?

We are sailing on the Oasis next month and we got a $250 OBC from our travel agent. I was just reading a trip report where someone said they got a $375 OBC from theirs. How does this work and how do you know which travel agent to use to get as much as possible?

We are sailing on the Oasis next month and we got a $250 OBC from our travel agent. I was just reading a trip report where someone said they got a $375 OBC from theirs. How does this work and how do you know which travel agent to use to get as much as possible?

Since they are giving you the OBC out of the commission that they earn the more you spend the more that you will get will generally apply. Some TA's will give up a bigger % of their commission as well so it can pay to shop around.

On our upcoming cruise our TA gave us prepaid gratuities (we are staying in a suite so its higher, plus they confirmed they would cover them at the higher rate which became effective earlier this year) plus a $200 OBC. When I got the cruise docs, I noticed $50 was coming from the cruise line. I asked the TA and they said it was part of a promo RCL was running and the other $150 was from them, plus the prepaid grats. I always shop around before every cruise and you should do the same - that way you have at least a couple of data points. A couple of the online TA's seem to have the best deals and if you don't need a lot of hand holding, you should benefit.

Generally, the higher the price of your cabin (base tariff before port fees and taxes), the higher the OBC you should get.

On our upcoming cruise our TA gave us prepaid gratuities (we are staying in a suite so its higher, plus they confirmed they would cover them at the higher rate which became effective earlier this year) plus a $200 OBC. When I got the cruise docs, I noticed $50 was coming from the cruise line. I asked the TA and they said it was part of a promo RCL was running and the other $150 was from them, plus the prepaid grats. I always shop around before every cruise and you should do the same - that way you have at least a couple of data points. A couple of the online TA's seem to have the best deals and if you don't need a lot of hand holding, you should benefit.

Generally, the higher the price of your cabin (base tariff before port fees and taxes), the higher the OBC you should get.

WOW....it sounds like you got a great deal! I will be sure to shop around next time.

Adding to what others have said, it also depends what type of stateroom you booked vs what the other person (who you were comparing to) booked.

I've heard it said a couple times around here that if you're getting 8% of the cruise fare back in some sort of TA perks you're doing well. That's roughly what I've gotten (a little less, but I didn't shop around as much as I probably should have) from a couple of TA-booked cruises.

If more folks can confirm that number it would help a lot of us newbie-TA shoppers!

We paid $6300 for 3 adults in an OS for our 7-day NotS cruise coming up in October. $520 in OBC is about 8.2%, plus we get over $330 worth of included gratuities. I am sure we could have gotten the room for less had we booked earlier, but I thought this was pretty good for 4 months out.

But make sure there are not hidden fees with the agent/agency you choose. Some of the ones with the best OBC also have fees for making changes. Someone else put it best - "if you don't require handholding." If you have a lot of questions or fees for changes, you might be better off with a smaller agency (with less OBC) that's glad to do all that for free.

My small business TA gives between 8.5% and 10% typically and charges nothing for any of the many changes and cancellations I have made over the years. And she is available 24/7 as I have her cell phone number. She and her employees are very quick to respond. And to top it off, while I was on a cruise during the initial BOGOHO sale in early May 2014, she and her staff went thru' every RCI cruise they had booked for all customers to see if they could get lower prices due to that sale! When I got home from that cruise, she had already lowered the price on two of my booked cruises!

So when you say "Shop around"....what exactly does that mean? Do you go to a TA and aske "How much OBC are YOU going to give me?"

Generally speaking, you'll have to do something very similar. Best thing to do is contact the TA and ask for a "quote". You may get a discounted fare, OBC, amenities, or some combination. Doing web searches are not likely to get you much information. Generally, you'll have to contact either by phone or email. Some TA will have a "quote" button.

You can also bargain too. I usually contact at least three in addition to the cruise line. I don't try to play one against the other but I will tell them if they're way out of line. I tend to spread my bookings around in order to maintain good relationships as long as the price is comparable.

Generally, 10-12% in discounts or OBC is a good objective.

Don't forget to see if any of your affiliations or memberships offer travel services. Places like AAA, AARP, Costco, Sam's Club and even large employers often have travel deals. On thing to consider when using a TA is that there is some risk. You will be paying the TA before the TA pays the cruise line. If something bad happens (like the TA goes out of business) before the cruise line is paid, not only are you out the money you paid to the TA, the cruise line cancels your reservation. To insulate yourself from this, you should do two things. First, book with a reputable or trusted TA. And second, purchase travel insurance that covers that sort of scenario.

Our TA in regards to our payments, always calls the cruise line and authorizes them to charge X $ to our Credit Card for payments. She doesn't charge back to her company before calling the cruise line. I have an invoice showing all payments & balance within 1 week following a payment.

My small business TA gives between 8.5% and 10% typically and charges nothing for any of the many changes and cancellations I have made over the years. And she is available 24/7 as I have her cell phone number. She and her employees are very quick to respond. And to top it off, while I was on a cruise during the initial BOGOHO sale in early May 2014, she and her staff went thru' every RCI cruise they had booked for all customers to see if they could get lower prices due to that sale! When I got home from that cruise, she had already lowered the price on two of my booked cruises!

Sounds like you have a phenomenal TA. If you wouldn't mind sharing the contact with sosc1@yahoo, it would be appreciated

Don't forget to see if any of your affiliations or memberships offer travel services. Places like AAA, AARP, Costco, Sam's Club and even large employers often have travel deals. On thing to consider when using a TA is that there is some risk. You will be paying the TA before the TA pays the cruise line. If something bad happens (like the TA goes out of business) before the cruise line is paid, not only are you out the money you paid to the TA, the cruise line cancels your reservation. To insulate yourself from this, you should do two things. First, book with a reputable or trusted TA. And second, purchase travel insurance that covers that sort of scenario.

Good advice about checking with agencies you are already affiliated with. You can find some very good deals there.

Second, I use a small business TA for the majority of my cruises. I do not pay her. The cruise line charges my credit card. Then the cruise line pays her commission.