Stateroom attendant?

dreday3

I've seen this term a few times on here. What exactly is a stateroom attendant? Do you meet them personally? Or is it like housekeeping? Is this who you would ask for extra towels or call front desk? We just have a regular balcony room, does that make a difference?

First cruise and I want to make sure we don't accidentally insult someone! :p

Edited by dreday3

He /she cleans your cabin-makes your bed- brings you ice - towels etc and anything else you need for your cabin.

You will meet him/her the 1st day of the cruise. early evening. Like housekeeping but you will see your cabin attendant twice each day morning after breakfast and early evening.

It makes no difference if you have a balcony

It's housekeeper for your block of cabins...sort of like (what many call a maid) a housekeeper in a hotel....well, exactly like that.

If you need something, you call housekeeping...the number is on your phone...and just ask. You "attendant" will get it for you.

Edited by cb at sea

Yes, he or she is your "housekeeper" (like in a hotel) for the duration of your cruise. It will be the same person serving you for your entire cruise. You may meet him/her at any time after embarking; we have met ours in the afternoon right after we got into our cabin (which is not available until about 1 or 1:30 pm, by the way - an announcement will be made if you are onboard before they open); sometimes we meet them after Muster Drill when we are in the cabin unpacking our luggage... it all just depends on where they are and where you are. :)

I am quite sure you will find there are plenty of towels already; they come in twice a day and will replace with fresh ones if you do not hang them back up. Ice is by request (free, but you ask for it), and your attendant will go over everything with you. You really just have to listen to him/her for a few moments while everything is explained/gone over with you.

Thanks. I don't know why it was tripping me up, maybe because you actually meet them?

Yep. You'll see him/her in the hall often, and it's a nice time to say hello, get to know them a little if you want to, chat a moment. My husband is from St. Lucia and his parents are from Trinidad, so we always recognize "the accent" if any crew members are from there. It's nice to chat a while but you certainly don't have to be anything more than cordial. I know someone here will probably say you're not there to make friends with the crew but for us, it's nice.

Have a great first cruise! :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

You may not actually SEE your stateroom attendant twice a day but they will service your cabin when you leave for breakfast and while you are at dinner. Actually, some of the best ones we've had, we rarely saw but they did what they were supposed to. There is a button on your phone so you can call if necessary. We bring sticky notes to leave if we need things like ice, extra towels, etc., and point that out when they introduce themselves the first day.

I've seen this term a few times on here. What exactly is a stateroom attendant? Do you meet them personally? Or is it like housekeeping? Is this who you would ask for extra towels or call front desk? We just have a regular balcony room, does that make a difference?

First cruise and I want to make sure we don't accidentally insult someone! :p

Many also use the term Cabin Steward. Does that resonate more? ;)

S/he will introduce her/himself to you on the first afternoon. You can make your personal wishes known (we ask for extra towels and for twice-daily ice, for example).

If you are dying to have a bathrobe, you should ask. You will be told that you are not entitled to one, so then you say that IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, you would like to have one. You may end up with robes. Or you may not. :D

S/he is included in your daily gratuities, so you are not REQUIRED to give more, but if you feel that you are getting service "above and beyond" (like getting you those robes), you should feel free to give extra cash at the end of your cruise.

S/he will leave envelopes on your bed on the last afternoon for that purpose.

They will look like this:

Scan0001_zps0e61c46b.jpg

[http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/CS0960.JPGURL=http://s188.photobucket.com/user/MerionMom/media/Miscellaneous%20cruise%20photos/Scan0001_zps0e61c46b.jpg.html]Scan0001_zps0e61c46b.jpg[/url]

It's been over 5 years since my last cruise. We got envelopes to put of pre-paid vouchers in and any additional tip that we were going to give. Do you get the regular envelopes to give out if your not tipping extra amount over the standard (dining room and head waiter) as we do not eat any meals in the MDR.

*kind of funny I started my post pretty much like a AA introduction. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's because we've only cruised in suites, and we do like to spend a little time there enjoying it, but we have always seen a lot of our cabin stewards. They introduce themselves on the first day, and then we see them many times each day. On our RCCL cruise, our steward was a lady from Jamaica and we really got to know her and her life's story. I'd see her each morning as I got up around 6:30am to go to the hot tub and pool. On may way back, I stop in the concierge lounge for coffee and donuts for my wife. Our steward would see me coming and race ahead of me to open the cabin door for me as I'd have my hands full. These folks are much more than the typical hotel room housekeepers.

It's been over 5 years since my last cruise. We got envelopes to put of pre-paid vouchers in and any additional tip that we were going to give. Do you get the regular envelopes to give out if your not tipping extra amount over the standard (dining room and head waiter) as we do not eat any meals in the MDR.

That's the reason that I posted this picture of the actual envelope. It's NOT like the old "for your vouchers" envelope. It really is for "extras".

If you want to reward more than two people (the usual number of envelopes placed on my bed), they have lots of them on the counter at Guest Relations.

Maybe it's because we've only cruised in suites, and we do like to spend a little time there enjoying it, but we have always seen a lot of our cabin stewards. They introduce themselves on the first day, and then we see them many times each day. On our RCCL cruise, our steward was a lady from Jamaica and we really got to know her and her life's story. I'd see her each morning as I got up around 6:30am to go to the hot tub and pool. On may way back, I stop in the concierge lounge for coffee and donuts for my wife. Our steward would see me coming and race ahead of me to open the cabin door for me as I'd have my hands full. These folks are much more than the typical hotel room housekeepers.

It's not "because you've only cruised in suites."

Most, or at least very many, cabin stewards behave like this. Even for interior cabins. ;)

Or "Stewart". An awful lot of them seem to be called Stewart if you read enough posts on here. That Stewart...he sure does get around. ;););)

Yep busy boy Stewart, though just lately they all seem to be called Jose, last cruise Stwarts name was Jose (go figure that one), Waiters name was Jose, bloke who gave HER tea bout 100 times a day was Jose, chap who made my burger was named Jose.

T

Most, or at least very many, cabin stewards behave like this. Even for interior cabins. ;)

That's good to know! Great service certainly contributes to a special vacation experience.

That's good to know! Great service certainly contributes to a special vacation experience.

They almost never fail to amaze, remember your name from the moment you embark nearly always happy and smiling.

Appear like magic to attend to you cabin.

Yet almost invisible most of the time.

Truly special.

I asked my wonderful stateroom attendant for ice. When he saw that night that I was chilling a bottle of water, the next time I was in my room he had rearranged the furniture a bit and had brought me a mini fridge-- I have found them to be exceptionally helpful on both prior cruises!! More than just normal hotel maid service.

Edited by denatravels

*kind of funny I started my post pretty much like a AA introduction. :rolleyes:

I 99% pre-pay my gratuities (just to get another expense done before I cruise) and I haven't seen those vouchers in a long time. The WOW envelopes always show up though. So if you're not tipping extra, no need for any envelopes.

:D

And if they're not busy you can have a nice chat about where they call home and their family etc.

A good one can be a miracle worker.

You had Winston as your SA on Freedom too?! :p

I 99% pre-pay my gratuities (just to get another expense done before I cruise) and I haven't seen those vouchers in a long time. The WOW envelopes always show up though. So if you're not tipping extra, no need for any envelopes.

:D

My last cruise also was 5 years ago also, and i allways prepay my gratuities. I used to get different envelopes and vouchers so i could put a certain amount of vouchers into an envelope and some extra cash for exceptional service.

I used to give the room steward more vouchers then our waiter for example.

Do i understand correctly that you won't be given envelopes and vouchers anymore? So everyone will get an 'honest share' of your prepaid vouchers and I can only add cash in the special envelope for the person with exceptional service?

Do i understand correctly that you won't be given envelopes and vouchers anymore? So everyone will get an 'honest share' of your prepaid vouchers and I can only add cash in the special envelope for the person with exceptional service?

Yes, everyone will get their share of the prepaid gratuities. You can use athe wow envelope for anyone you choose to give extra to, or you can just give them cash directly.

Amen! I was in an interior cabin on Radiance a couple of weeks ago, and Clarion, my cabin steward, was amazing. Not only did she know my name right off the bat (she clearly studied her list), when I explained that I go by Beth, she immediately remembered that. Every time she saw me, she would greet me by name and inquire about my day and my cruise so far. I also talked with her about her home, family, and her time on the ship, so it was not just one sided in terms of conversation.

One of the funniest things is when I travel I have a little stuffed...well, it's Scare Pig from Monsters University who travels with me and who I'll put in some of my pictures (like a Flat Stanley thing but with a little plush). I'd take him with me out on our races, so he often was not in the cabin when she would make it up at the beginning of the day. The first day we were out (we had a sea day first - should have been Hubbard Glacier but due to not leaving Seward until 2:45am we had to miss it), when I saw Ms. Clarion (as I called her whenever I saw her) that evening, she was very concerned and said "I couldn't find the toy this morning!" like he'd gotten taken away in some linens or something. I explained that no, he's a traveling pig and gets in some pictures as I travel, so on days we had races he would be gone in the morning but back once I was back on board. Even though I was traveling as a solo adult, she always put him somewhere at night - either with the towel animal, perched on the tv, or even laying against the pillows like he had been put to bed. She was truly an amazing cabin steward and never made me feel "less than" for being in an inside cabin.

Tips are pre-paid and we always personally give additional cash to our Cabin Steward, Waiter and Assistant Waiter. We leave the little card in the door slot when we leave the cabin for the morning, letting the steward know we will be out, just as a courtesy. They "watch" to make sure you are out of the room and they go in and clean the room and leave the fresh linens. They know if you are assigned a dining time and you probably won't see them, but they go in and do their thing so as not to disturb or interfere with your activity. When you first meet them, they ask if you need anything. The only request we've ever asked for was an ice bucket and ice, which we used to chill a bottle of wine. We leave our room VERY tidy...no clothes that aren't put away, nothing on the counter in the bathroom. That being said, as I've walked down the hall, with door open while Stewards are attempting to clean a cabin, I'm amazed at the MESS people leave. There's not even a path for the Steward to navigate to get through, let alone vacuum. They earn EVERY cent they get.