Questions on Formal night on Grand Princess

plyount

We are leaving the first of Sept for Alaska Land and Sea Cruise with Princess. Four days sightseeing in Alaska before southbound glacier cruise to Vancouer. My question is about formal nights. My husband is not a "jacket" kind of guy, but does dress well in dress pants, shirt and tie. Will he be denied seating if he does not have on a jacket? Since we are doing the land portion first, packing room is a premium. Help please, as this is the first Princess cruise we have taken. Thanks.

Very, very unlikely he would be turned away from the MDR in dress shirt and tie but no jacket. And the MDR is the only venue (dining or entertainment ) where formal night dress code applies so there are plenty of alternatives if he wants to skip even this attire.

And re the packing issue if you are on a Princess Cruisetour I believe your "main" suitcase will be held for you until you reach the ship; you will need to pack small carry-ons with your items for the four days on land. So no need to cut back on anything you expect to need onboard.

We were on the Grand two weeks ago. Shirts and ties were common. One guy wore a golf shirt and he was let in. Few had jackets and the only tux's were on the waiters. I really wish they would cancel Formal Night. It's not popular any more because of changing times and charging airlines!

We were on the Grand two weeks ago. Shirts and ties were common. One guy wore a golf shirt and he was let in. Few had jackets and the only tux's were on the waiters. I really wish they would cancel Formal Night. It's not popular any more because of changing times and charging airlines!

I'd certainly support that for Caribbean and other tropical trips, plus Alaska. Keep it to smart casual or resort casual and if anyone wants to dress up, all the power to them - it's their cruise too!! I'm all for enforcing no shorts and no casual daywear in the DR's in evening - don't get me wrong on that. People know what to wear to a nice restaurant on the land in summer, so why not have it the same on a tropical cruise?

It might happen one day - you never know. We're thinking of lightening up this November, so might do alternate venue or leave the jacket at home.

People know what to wear to a nice restaurant on the land in summer, so why not have it the same on a tropical cruise?

What is worn to a nice restaurant in NYC is different than what is worn to a nice restaurant in South Florida.

We are leaving the first of Sept for Alaska Land and Sea Cruise with Princess. Four days sightseeing in Alaska before southbound glacier cruise to Vancouer. My question is about formal nights. My husband is not a "jacket" kind of guy, but does dress well in dress pants, shirt and tie. Will he be denied seating if he does not have on a jacket? Since we are doing the land portion first, packing room is a premium. Help please, as this is the first Princess cruise we have taken. Thanks.

Unlikely.

At worst they may offer him a loan jacket which he promptly hangs over the back of his chair.

I don't even have a tie. Always hated them and my job has "dress casual" which is slacks and button-up or placket shirts.

Will that be a problem?

Are shorts, not even nice shorts, not allowed in MDR?

no shorts.

DH wears a black turtleneck silk sweater with dark gray pants most nights with no problem. I have to threaten him to get him into his suit.

To be clear: shorts are fine at breakfast and lunch but not for dinner in the MDR even on casual dress nights. (Not to say that there won't be reports from those who have gotten in wearing them).

For formal nights you likely will be admitted if wearing a long-sleeve button-down collared shirt but no jacket or tie--though you may be called out if in a cotton "work shirt" rather than a "dressy" one if the maitre d' decides to be particularly fussy (which is far less common than a few years ago).

• 1 month later...

We were on this same Alaska cruise tour as well. Great cruise and land tour experience, btw.:)

One thing we noticed is that the dress code on Formal Nights seemed to be relaxed for dining in the MDR. We saw many fellow diners just wearing jeans, (clean, no rips/tears styles), and sweaters, or collared shirts. No jackets. Women in jeans, blouses. Still, there were many men who choose to wear suits or tuxedos, and women in dresses, long or short. In the evenings around the ship, on Formal Nights, we saw men in shorts and tee shirts, sandals. And women dressed similarly. Made for an interesting fashion parade.

Not judging, only an observation on relaxed dress code on Formal Nights.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We were on this same Alaska cruise tour as well. Great cruise and land tour experience, btw.:)

One thing we noticed is that the dress code on Formal Nights seemed to be relaxed for dining in the MDR. Saw many fellow diners just wearing jeans, (clean, no rips/tears styles), and sweaters, or collared shirts. No jackets. Women in jeans, blouses. Still, there were many men who choose to wear suits or tuxedos, and women in dresses, long or short. In the evenings around the ship, on Formal Nights, i saw men in shorts and tee shirts, sandals. And womwn dresses similarly.

Not judging, only an observation.

Interesting. On Golden this month, there were few tuxes, but most men in our dining room were wearing dark suits, and about 90% of the men had jackets.

One thing we noticed is that the dress code on Formal Nights seemed to be relaxed for dining in the MDR. We saw many fellow diners just wearing jeans, (clean, no rips/tears styles), and sweaters, or collared shirts. No jackets. Women in jeans, blouses. Still, there were many men who choose to wear suits or tuxedos, and women in dresses, long or short. In the evenings around the ship, on Formal Nights, we saw men in shorts and tee shirts, sandals. And women dressed similarly. Made for an interesting fashion parade.

NO shorts except at breakfast/lunch.

You cannot draw conclusions from the dress around the ship. The Princess recommendations for evening dining only apply to the main dining rooms and not other areas. Specialty dining is always "smart casual". Otherwise, people can and do wear whatever comfortable in "around the ship".

No shorts in MDR at diner, no matter how dressy.

You will probably be ok in trousers and dressy shirt but Maitre'd may turn you away, not likely but possible.

That is what I wear on formal night these days. I used to bring a sport coat but gave that up several years ago. I have never had a problem or even second glance from the person at the door.

That is what I wear on formal night these days. I used to bring a sport coat but gave that up several years ago. I have never had a problem or even second glance from the person at the door.

That's what I plan to wear on our December cruise to the Caribbean. For Formal nights in the MDR: a collared short sleeve golf, or long sleeve dress shirt, casual pants or dressy jeans, and boat shoes. "Resort casual".

From what I saw on our last cruise, I definitely won't look out of place on Formal Nights in the MDR. Nightly Dress code seemed very relaxed in MDR. And, definitely no suit or tuxedo required for men on Formal Nights. Looking forward to leaving the suit at home. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

• 9 months later...
The wife and I are booked on the Grand Princess in September, sailing to Southern California and Baja Mexico. Is my tan suit a good idea for formal nights?

As long as it is not the one you tanned from your birthday.

The wife and I are booked on the Grand Princess in September, sailing to Southern California and Baja Mexico. Is my tan suit a good idea for formal nights?

My hubby's dressiest suit is a tweed one about the same color as the one in your photo. He bought it for a promotional interview and has worn it on formal nights on our cruises. Our last three cruises were the two week ones to Hawaii and he brought two dress shirts (one he washed in the self-service laundry) and three festive ties.