Cruise Critic S Class Ratings - Some deeper meaning or misleading stats

canuckinindia

Last year took a cruise on Equinox and throughly enjoyed it and have booked an upcoming Caribbean cruise on Silhouette.

On Cruise critic noted what I think is a significant rating difference between the different S class boats. Ranked below by %

Equinox - 90% (901 reviews)

Eclipse - 88% (944 reviews)

Reflection - 86% (658 reviews)

Solstice - 83% (1309 reviews)

Silhouette - 82% (744 reviews)

That level of disparity (82% - 90%) got me wondering, Solstice being the oldest of the lot might have some excuse but the significant (or what I perceive to be significant) lower scores for Silhouette have me worried.

It appears when comparing the Equinox to Silhoutette that average ratings under every single category are slightly weaker (Dining, Public Rooms, Cabins, Entertainment, Spa & Fitness, Family & Children, Shore Excursions, Enrichment, Service and Value-for-money)

The other observation which i haven't mathematically quantified but looking at the last two months reviews it appears that there is a remarkable drop in the ratings for Silhouette which I suspect would take a long term to factor into the average reviews which would have accumulated over time.

which is leading me to wonder if there is some across the board reason people's experience haven't been as good or just some misleading stats based on to small a sample size?

staff? captain? (don't they rotate?)

itineraries? (both seem to do europe and caribbean)

space planning? (are the differences big enough?)

reviewer bias?

Thoughts appreciated?

Here's a thought: It could be attributed to the fact that the Silhouette has the Lawn Club Grill and The Alcoves, rather than the hot glass show that the Equinox has. Both of those are extra-fee venues, while the hot glass show was free. That has put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. I have an upcoming cruise on Silhouette, and already have an Alcove booked, and I've heard glowing reviews about the Lawn Club Grill. So it may not be that these are bad aspects of the ship, as there is clearly a market for them. But I think that a lot of cruisers, especially veteran cruisers, are against the extra-fee activities that many lines are adding. I would love to hear other people's ideas as well!

I'm not sure that an 8% difference is statistically significant, particularly with a small sample, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

There are a lot of other factors that might have an effect on people's rating. For example, some itineraries are more popular than others, and the halo effect may translate to an overall higher rating for the ships on preferred routes. I've not compared their itineraries, but assume there are differences.

Have you cruised on other lines? If so, you might want to compare score with other ships you've sailed on to see if there's a disparity in scores.

My 2 cents: Silhouette is my favorite S Class ship for a variety of reasons. I really enjoy the additional dining choices available on Silhouette. To me Silhouette feels less crowded than Reflection. The earlier S Class ships have the Hot Glass Show. Interesting, but not important to me. While there are great staff on all the ships, some of my "top staff" are on Silhouette. Unfortunately a great HD and an absolutely wonderful GRM have recently been transferred to Reflection. I will be on Silhouette in October and for a B2B in December.

To the OP; Don't be concerned about rating numbers. Just enjoy the Silhouette experience.

Edited by Orator

I enjoyed my cruise on the Silhouette, but would rate my overall satisfaction with it around the mid 80s. My room steward was mediocre and I really don't like all the extra-fee venues. The lawn isn't enjoyable with "the alcoves" obstructing your view to the water and with a loud, crowded restaurant also on it.

All the other facilities on the ship are lovely, and the cabins are nice and I found the crew to be accommodating, but I really think X screwed up the lawn area on the Silhouette.

The little differences do mean a lot. We went on Eclipse thinking the Hot Glass Show was just a "nice" thing to look in on once -- but we were captivated and ended up watching many of the shows. When we go back on an S-class ship it must have the Hot Glass Show.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Helen not worried about the cruise i feel very comfortable that even a fraction of the experience we enjoyed on the Equinox will leave us quite happy.

What caught my eye was what I thought might be either something consistently inferior in the experience or as fouremco says is not statistically significant. Although I think some back of the envelope math the ~1000 reviews out of a small population might actually be significant.

How often do senior staff like the GRM and HD rotate? I'm travelling in January 2016 would the team have rotated by then?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed my cruise on the Silhouette, but would rate my overall satisfaction with it around the mid 80s. My room steward was mediocre and I really don't like all the extra-fee venues. The lawn isn't enjoyable with "the alcoves" obstructing your view to the water and with a loud, crowded restaurant also on it.

All the other facilities on the ship are lovely, and the cabins are nice and I found the crew to be accommodating, but I really think X screwed up the lawn area on the Silhouette.

The little differences do mean a lot. We went on Eclipse thinking the Hot Glass Show was just a "nice" thing to look in on once -- but we were captivated and ended up watching many of the shows. When we go back on an S-class ship it must have the Hot Glass Show.

Wow, I wasn't too far off with my idea, I guess! lol

Helen not worried about the cruise i feel very comfortable that even a fraction of the experience we enjoyed on the Equinox will leave us quite happy.

What caught my eye was what I thought might be either something consistently inferior in the experience or as fouremco says is not statistically significant. Although I think some back of the envelope math the ~1000 reviews out of a small population might actually be significant.

How often do senior staff like the GRM and HD rotate? I'm travelling in January 2016 would the team have rotated by then?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

In the case of the Silhouette, 744 reviews, but how many hundreds of thousands of passengers have sailed on her during that time?

For what it's worth, a travel news website ranks 10 Celebrity ships based on an analysis of reviews and health ratings. Top 3: Reflection, Solstice and Silhouette.

I'm sure that some time on the internet looking at other cruise and travel websites will provide similar differences in the ratings.

Personally, I love the Eclipse, as I'm fascinated by the glass blowing and I love the open nature of its lawn, so I'd be less happy on the Silhouette. But the main reason I book and rebook the Eclipse is because I prefer the itinerary. If they were to reverse them and give Silhouette the 14 night Southern Caribbean itinerary, I'd be booking the Silhouette, no questions asked!

We have sailed on all the S class ships, except for Equinox (bucket list?)

I prefer silhouette to reflection (in Aqua class).

I think the differences in reviews are sort of like marrying Miss America vs. the first runner up.

They're both beautiful, but one may be ever slightly more so.

I suggest you cruise and find out for yourself!

Opinions are so very subjective, I remember one cruise where the ride was smooth, weather beautiful, we had a GREAT time, but there were negative reviews because they ran out of Earl Grey tea in mid ocean. Not something that bothered me but obviously important to someone.

I've been away from CC for awhile and I've been trying to catch up.

I did read some reviews of Silouette where there were some mechanical issues. Don't recall how far back they were or if the problems were resolved. Could this be why Silouette scored lower?

From the reviews I read, people were quite upset.

We have sailed on the Eclipse twice and the Silhouette once. Both times we loved the Eclipse. Can't say it was the Hot Glass Show although the first time we enjoyed it so much we saw the show twice. The second time we never even made it up to that level. What made the cruise fantastic was the service. Both times on the Eclipse (two years apart - one Baltic, one Caribbean) the MDR staff was fantastic and so were the room attendants. We couldn't have asked for better service. Our one time on the Silhouette (Caribbean) the service lacked - and I mean lacked. Especially the dining room staff. Our water glasses were never refilled unless we flagged down our waiter (the assistant waiter was always at other tables). We were never "advised" as to the best choices/recommendations on the menu, and we were never told what was going to be happening that evening and the next day. On all of our other cruises (both before and after this one on the Silhouette) the wait staff did all of these things that we genuinely appreciated. As for the room attendants- yes, the room was cleaned properly - but other than the first day when they introduced themselves - we never say them. We also never got new shampoo, lotion, etc. unless we totally ran out. Trouble was, it sometimes ran out after only one of us took our shower - so the second person did without.

All of that being said - I'm sure it was just a coincidence and we are booked on the Silhouette again next summer on the British Isles cruise. If I could have chosen a different Celebrity ship I would have - but this was the only option and we are willing to give her another chance. If it's bad again the second time - it will be the last time we sail on her. And yes, we did complete our survey and we did report what we thought was sub-par service. And no, we did not remove our tips - but did not add anything extra for great service.

Edited by acctgtogo

Yes Silly had mobility issues from Early 2014 until early January this year causing late and missed ports. This surely had a big impact on satisfaction.

Then in Caribbean, Tendring in Grand Cayman is a nightmare, so possibly people didn't like that either.

I have sailed all Celebrity ships dating back to my first cruise on Horizon, except for the Silhouette, for a total of more than 30 times. I have sailed on most (maybe all?) more than once, often multiple times. Each cruise has been different, and I would rate the ships differently each time I sailed one, at least in some respects. Each cruise is a different experience, even on the same ship - different waiters, different room stewards, different ports, different sea conditions, a different set of passengers, etc., etc.. In many cases, different senior officers as well. It all affects the sailing overall. Unless I saw a significant issue with a particular ship consistently over a reasonable period of time (for me that would be months, not a few reviews), then I would not worry about it at all.

We have never been on a Celebrity sailing we did not enjoy and when issues with a ship are brought to Celebrity's attention (fill out those surveys and report significant issues!) they do their best to quickly remedy the situation. For example, we had one sailing on Summit a couple years ago that was not up to the usual Celebrity standard. In talking to a senior staff member on our next cruise this happened to come up in the conversation. In carefully and discretely worded terms, they told us that they recognized the problem and had since changed some of the mid-level team members to remedy the situation. Sure enough, on our next cruise on her all was once again well.

Excluding consideration of the ports visited, I would rate my 2014 Equinox as being around 95% satisfied. I would rate my 2015 Equinox as being around 80% satisfied. So a 15% difference in satisfaction levels.

Last year took a cruise on Equinox and throughly enjoyed it and have booked an upcoming Caribbean cruise on Silhouette.

On Cruise critic noted what I think is a significant rating difference between the different S class boats. Ranked below by %

Equinox - 90% (901 reviews)

Eclipse - 88% (944 reviews)

Reflection - 86% (658 reviews)

Solstice - 83% (1309 reviews)

Silhouette - 82% (744 reviews)

That level of disparity (82% - 90%) got me wondering, Solstice being the oldest of the lot might have some excuse but the significant (or what I perceive to be significant) lower scores for Silhouette have me worried.

It appears when comparing the Equinox to Silhoutette that average ratings under every single category are slightly weaker (Dining, Public Rooms, Cabins, Entertainment, Spa & Fitness, Family & Children, Shore Excursions, Enrichment, Service and Value-for-money)

The other observation which i haven't mathematically quantified but looking at the last two months reviews it appears that there is a remarkable drop in the ratings for Silhouette which I suspect would take a long term to factor into the average reviews which would have accumulated over time.

which is leading me to wonder if there is some across the board reason people's experience haven't been as good or just some misleading stats based on to small a sample size?

staff? captain? (don't they rotate?)

itineraries? (both seem to do europe and caribbean)

space planning? (are the differences big enough?)

reviewer bias?

Thoughts appreciated?

Outside of an out and out sinking of the vessel, which other sources have you used to make this decision to be worried?

If only CC, then I recommend that you may want to never consider any cruise line, then vessel which meet your ranking desires and then report back as to how you rank it.

With very limited input you can only make a very limited decision as to the real quality of cruise line or ship, that is unless you place all faith and value into what you read here exclusively? If so, then the question does become mute in my opine, yet no less valid...

bon voyage regardless of what you choose to do.

bo1953

Outside of an out and out sinking of the vessel, which other sources have you used to make this decision to be worried?

If only CC, then I recommend that you may want to never consider any cruise line, then vessel which meet your ranking desires and then report back as to how you rank it.

With very limited input you can only make a very limited decision as to the real quality of cruise line or ship, that is unless you place all faith and value into what you read here exclusively? If so, then the question does become mute in my opine, yet no less valid...

bon voyage regardless of what you choose to do.

bo1953

Never mind...

Edited by Fouremco