Any Noticeable Cut backs with Celebrity

janny444

Hi....it is a couple of years since we last cruised with Celebrity which we really enjoyed. We thought the standard of entertainment was one of the best and the food...customer service..MDR experience all great.

All cruise lines appear to be cutting back..one way or another ...and I would think that Celebrity is no exception so are there any noticeable cutbacks with Celebrity or are the standards still quite high?

If it's been a few years; you'll most likely notice the quality of food in the morning has gone down. The meat isn't as good, the overall presentation isn't as nice and the portions have changed. We continue to enjoy celebrity but the dr has slipped quite a bit in the last three years in our opinion.

If you have traveled on other cruise ship lines (as we have) and/or read other boards on these other companies, even with top-level luxury lines, you will see lots and lots of questions and comments on "cut-backs".

It's Management 101 in a highly-competitive travel environment. There are many, many options and potentials being offered. People are seeking "value" and want to get a sense that they are getting bargains/deals. Every cruise line seeks to save money by cutting out certain aspects that are not used and/or appreciated that much. AND, by adding new, more interesting features that appeal to younger, new audiences. Change?? It's a constant and evolving situation.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 116,794 views for this posting.

The cutbacks were noticeable on our last cruise.

1. Activities staff was down to one individual.

2. Live music by the pool only on the sailaway and the next day Otherwise, a DJ.

3. No more freshly squeezed orange juice in Aqua

4. Brunch in the MDR has been cut and now is being held in the buffet during lunch with the ice and fruit carvings.

5. No guest speakers on the cruise

6. A charge was imposed for zumba after the first activity.

Having just come off the Reflection in June, I can report that Celebrity is still the "best bang for the buck" in cruising. We are very happy with everything Celebrity -- having said that, here are a few observations:

--over the past few years, the quality of beef has diminished somewhat. The steaks are still tender, but lack flavor. Similar to the beef on HAL. For that reason, Celebrity now offers sauces to cover up this short coming.

--we did an NCL cruise last spring and made use of the UDP (Ultimate dining package). $119 pp gets you all your evening meals in an alternative restaurant. Le Bistro and Cagneys has better beef than Celebrity, which is counterintuitive to everything I believe about these two cruise lines. This includes Murano, Lawn Club Bistro, and the Tuscan Grill. Sad, but true.

We completed our 27th Celebrity cruise and will continue with a 12 day cruise on the Equinox in December. Love Celebrity!

Kel:)

We usually book suites. From our perspective things have improved with a dedicated suite dining room and conceirge lounge.

This means suite guests are rarely using the buffet and are no longer invading Blu.

More expensive but better!

It's very easy to create a list of things that once were offered, but no longer offered and these list appear on Cruise Critic all the time. There is another component to the question that rarely gets attention: What has been added? For example, ere have been major enhancements to the Loyalty program, including the creation of two new levels that offer substantial benefits. I sometimes wonder if the cuts are always done to save money, or our we just seeing a redistribution of resources. Probably a combination of both. Most businesses I know constantly monitor the market and add or eliminate programs as they determine necessary for their business.

They have really cut the Aqua spa cafe to the point where they should just completely shut it down.

Same for the grill, they used to have burgers, hot dogs and a different food everyday like ribs or chicken. Now just the hot dogs and burgers and the things you would expect with them.

The cutbacks were noticeable on our last cruise.

5. No guest speakers on the cruise

That is a new one for me. I have never been on a cruise that did not have guest speakers. When was your last cruise and the ship?

The biggest cut is the MDR. On the lower level (on the S Class ships) they've cut a chunk out of it to make room for the Suite Class restaurant.

Mmmm....does that mean they have cut down on tables for two...that was one thing that really stood out to us the number of tables for two...no waiting...and on the odd occasion that we did it was only a matter of minutes...unlike some cruise lines where you are given a pager and can wait ages to be "bleeped".

Mmmm....does that mean they have cut down on tables for two...that was one thing that really stood out to us the number of tables for two...no waiting...and on the odd occasion that we did it was only a matter of minutes...unlike some cruise lines where you are given a pager and can wait ages to be "bleeped".

The space for the suite dining room was taken from the dining room used for traditional dining. The upper level which is used for those booking Select dining wasn't reduced.

We have always used the Aqua Spa cafe for both breakfast & lunch. It was one of the reasons we preferred Celebrity over HAL. I have suggested to HAL several times that they should institute a similar venue.

It will be a real disappointment if Aqua Spa cafe disappears.

Oh dear...that was one of our favourite places for breakfast :(

That is a new one for me. I have never been on a cruise that did not have guest speakers. When was your last cruise and the ship?

Our February cruise on Reflection failed to have any guest speakers. We were very surprised as there have been some outstanding speakers.

The Aqua Spa Cafe was just fine and I often had lunch there. Still outstanding. I remember the salmon, chicken salad, and the fresh fruit desserts. Now I am hungry!