Live From the Caribbean Princess Iceland & Norway Explorer Sept. 5th 2015

Woobstr112G

Hello from the beautiful city of London. We finally got to our hotel (Doubletree Westminster). Traffic getting out of Heathrow was very heavy. The car service I hired and I also got our wires crossed which delayed us getting away from the airport for about 45 minutes. The hotel is pretty nice with the room being a little on the small side. Overall not a bad place. Right now I'm a little tired so probably going to relax and hang out. One quick note about the flight. We flew Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic. We were on an Airbus 340-600. As far as the flight crew goes, they were some of the best we've ever had; especially this very sweet young lady from Liverpool. She was a true gem. As far as Upper Class goes, I have to say that I was not all that impressed with it. The whole area seems rather claustrophobic as the seats seemed sandwiched together. The seat is arguably one of the most uncomfortable seats I've sat in. Don't get me wrong, I liked the flight overall just disappointed with the seat. .

Hope all are well.....:):):)

Bob

Hello from the beautiful city of London. We finally got to our hotel (Doubletree Westminster). Traffic getting out of Heathrow was very heavy. The car service I hired and I also got our wires crossed which delayed us getting away from the airport for about 45 minutes. The hotel is pretty nice with the room being a little on the small side. Overall not a bad place. Right now I'm a little tired so probably going to relax and hang out. One quick note about the flight. We flew Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic. We were on an Airbus 340-600. As far as the flight crew goes, they were some of the best we've ever had; especially this very sweet young lady from Liverpool. She was a true gem. As far as Upper Class goes, I have to say that I was not all that impressed with it. The whole area seems rather claustrophobic as the seats seemed sandwiched together. The seat is arguably one of the most uncomfortable seats I've sat in. Don't get me wrong, I liked the flight overall just disappointed with the seat. .

Bob

Sorry to hear that it was disappointing. I must say even the regular seats on British Airways were fantastic. Really enjoyed the plane, the storage on the plane and the seats.

Good morning everyone from London. Just woke up (0752GMT) after a very good night of sleep. My plan for today is to make use of the Hotel's fitness center. After that I plan to do a little sightseeing to take some pictures. Gave my DW strict orders to rest up so she will be able to better enjoy our day trip to Paris which is tomorrow. Right now there are a few light clouds and it is a nice 52 degrees (11c).

Bob

One other thing I wanted to advise on, as I was unaware until we got across the pond, has to do with watching streamed content (i.e. Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime, etc) over the internet.

When we got to hotel, I found that each executive room had an IMAC (older version that had DVD slot) that doubled as a TV. In using it, I found that the hotel disabled the DVD drive. No big deal I thought as I could just log onto Prime, Netflix, or VUDU as I forgot to pack my external drive for my Ultrabook (decided to bring it instead of my MBP due to weight). When I did this, I discovered the licensing issues made a lot of content that is available in the USA, not available in the UK. Oh well:D.

More later & hope all are well.....:):):)

Bob

I discovered the licensing issues made a lot of content that is available in the USA, not available in the UK. Oh well

Bob... You could have gotten around this by employing a VPN...virtual private network. With it your computer or device would appear to be in the USA from anywhere you might be traveling...allowing you to enjoy content blocked in other countries.

If you're interested in more info, email me when you get home.

Nan and I are living vicariously through your posts...enjoying them very much!

Lew

Good morning everyone from London. Just woke up (0752GMT) after a very good night of sleep. My plan for today is to make use of the Hotel's fitness center. After that I plan to do a little sightseeing to take some pictures. Gave my DW strict orders to rest up so she will be able to better enjoy our day trip to Paris which is tomorrow. Right now there are a few light clouds and it is a nice 52 degrees (11c).

Bob

Sounds like great weather as long as the rain stays away. Will be interested to hear about your day in Paris after tomorrow.

Will do Lew. Check your inbox after the 21st.....:):):)

Bob

Bob... You could have gotten around this by employing a VPN...virtual private network. With it your computer or device would appear to be in the USA from anywhere you might be traveling...allowing you to enjoy content blocked in other countries.

If you're interested in more info, email me when you get home.

Nan and I are living vicariously through your posts...enjoying them very much!

Lew

Will do Lew. Check your inbox after the 21st.....:):):)

Bob

Greetings all. I've had a very busy day today walking around Westminster and Chelsea taking a ton of pictures and stopping by a pub or two. Holli and I are gonna rest up for the rest of the day so hopefully she'll be able to enjoy Paris tomorrow. We both will probably both turn in early as we have to get up early to be at the train station at 0600.

That's all for now as it's time to avail myself of some free adult beverages and food in the lounge.....:):):)

Bob

Just wanted to let everyone know what we are doing while during our stay in London. We are staying at the Hilton Doubletree Westminster. After we get over the jet lag, we plan to explorer the Westminster area. On September 3rd, we are taking a day trip to Paris that I booked on Viator. The night before we head to Southampton and the CB, I arranged a pre cruise Meet & Greet dinner for several roll call members at a Westminster restaurant called "The Loose Box Bar." I'm looking forward to having a blast while we are in London and during our day trip to Paris......:):):)

Bob

Hi Bob,

So happy that you're doing a live-from. To Paris and back in one day? Fantastic!

Close friends of ours . . . Frankie and Terry Fox . . . will be on the cruise with you. We wish everyone a Bon Voyage!

Happy cruising,

Joan and Michael

Edited by Clovis Cruiser
change wording

I am really enjoying your posts. We had a great time in London last year before doing the cruise to Norway. We would like to do your cruise when my husband retires from teaching in 2017. So, I will be following along for the duration of your trip. Have a fantastic time!

Good evening all (France Time). Holli and I are currently headed back to London from our all day excursion to Paris. We had a great time overall in having a quick lunch in the Eiffel Tower and the cruise on the Seine river. We opted out of going through the Louvre because the tour operator was rushing things too much and I wanted Holli to rest her back. Overall we had a good time with the exception of being rushed too much.

We were zipping along at 200mph on the Eurostar while I enjoyed my dinner and French red wine. We started to slow a little because we are getting ready tohit the Chunnel so our speed is down a bit.

Tomorrow we are going to rest up a bit and repackage what we used during our stay in Lindon. I also have to pick up a couple of small items that I forgot to pack. In the evening we are set to meet some roll call members for a pre cruise dinner.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Good morning all. DW & I will be leaving for London on Monday for our four night pre-cruise stay in London before boarding the Caribbean Princess on 5 September to begin our cruise. I decided to start this "Live From" a little early so I could report on our adventures in London and also begin to compile a list of questions anyone might have. This journey has been 18 months in the planning and I am so ready for it. It is going to be one incredible voyage.

Take Care All.....:):):)

Bob

Looking forward to your "Live from"! We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next spring, ending in Southampton. We are staying a few days in Southampton and then sailing home on QM2.

If you do anything fun and exciting in Southampton please share! But we are most interested in your impression of the Caribbean Princess, your cabin, the staff, the food.....well just about everything!! LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Hope you two enjoy your cruise! I can't wait to follow along. Ask the bridge to turn the BridgeCam around once in a while so that you can post a "selfie" on the Princess web site. I spent a bit of time today taking in the great shots of Glacier Bay from the Grand webcam. It would be great to see you guys on the Caribbean webcam!