benefits of paying in full early

retiredkid

Are there any benefits to pay in full before the actual date? Do more items become accessible to book? sorry if a silly question.

With the Loonie continuing to dive, there'd be a definite benefit if you've booked through a TA charging you in American dollars. If you've booked directly with HAL or with a Canadian TA, I see no benefit, but others might see something I've missed.

Of course, in either event, purchasing OBC, shore excursions, specialty dining and the like should be done as soon as possible.

Are there any benefits to pay in full before the actual date? Do more items become accessible to book? sorry if a silly question.

Other than currency exchange rates, which apparently have become an issue of late, there is no real advantage to paying early. I suppose there might be some psychological advantage in the notion you're paid in full but that's an individual thing. Personally I don't see an advantage and usually wait until a few days before final payment to pay. Somehow it just makes me uneasy for a cruise line to hold all my money until the last minute. I'd rather be dealing with trying to get back a deposit than the larger full cruise fare if I have to cancel before final payment which has happened twice in 22 years of cruising. Probably no logic but it's the way I feel.

Edited by Randyk47

Personally I don't see an advantage and usually wait until a few days before final payment to pay. Somehow it just makes me uneasy for a cruise line to hold all my money until the last minute. I'd rather be dealing with trying to get back a deposit than the larger full cruise fare if I have to cancel before final payment

The is exactly what we do. It is one of the big differences between cruises and other travel. All the risk is on the cruise line if you only need a small deposit to hold a cabin for over a year until the final payment date. We always buy more FCC's just for this.

Dennis

I never pay 'far' in advance. Perhaps a few days or a bit more several times when we were on a cruise when final payment for our next cruise was due.

I see no advantage to pay ahead except for the above mentioned currency exchange rates.

Edited by sail7seas

By waiting to pay in full you may be able to save some money. My cruise dropped $900 for the 2 of us about a month before final payment was due. I had my TA rebook under the lower fare and saved a bundle. But you will have to monitor prices and ask for the lower price.

You do save some money (I think it is 3%) if you pay in full for the World Voyage early. Other than that, I would rather keep my money earning a few pennies in my savings account as long as possible.

You are correct that the Grand cruises offer a 3% discount on the fare if you pay well in advance, usually about 6 months. It is almost equivalent to the hotel service charge so IMO, well worth it.

Except for a Grand cruise, I usually have my TA pay a few days before final payment is due, as many others do.

Other than currency exchange rates, ... there is no real advantage to paying early. ...

I never pay 'far' in advance ... I see no advantage to pay ahead except for the above mentioned currency exchange rates.

Has HAL discontinued the early payment discount on Grand Voyages? It used to be only 3%, but even that is better than what a pass book or money management account pays nowadays ...

Has HAL discontinued the early payment discount on Grand Voyages? It used to be only 3%, but even that is better than what a pass book or money management account pays nowadays ...

Having never booked a Grand Voyage I can't say. Certainly if that is still the case then indeed it might make sense monetarily to pay early. My chances of booking that long of a cruise are probably somewhere between slim and none so I've never done the research. Since Mrs. K still works getting away that long isn't happening. I volunteered I could go and send her regular reports but she has made it clear that any cruise I take without her would be my last. :rolleyes::oThat said, other than the discount for Grand Voyages and exchange rate considerations, there is no advantage I can see for say a typical non-Grand Voyage cruise.

Edited by Randyk47

Having never booked a Grand Voyage I can't say. Certainly if that is still the case then indeed it might make sense monetarily to pay early. My chances of booking that long of a cruise are probably somewhere between slim and none so I've never done the research. Since Mrs. K still works getting away that long isn't happening. I volunteered I could go and send her regular reports but she has made it clear that any cruise I take without her would be my last. :rolleyes::p That said, other than the discount for Grand Voyages and exchange rate considerations, there is no advantage I can see for say a typical non-Grand Voyage cruise.

Thanks for your prompt reply - I assume the other poster has likewise never taken a Grand Voyage and, thus, didn't have any firsthand experience with the early payment discount. At any rate, I hope you (and Mrs K, of course) get to go on a Grand Voyage soon

You do save some money (I think it is 3%) if you pay in full for the World Voyage early. Other than that, I would rather keep my money earning a few pennies in my savings account as long as possible.

Yes thats what I was going to say as well.

Where else can you get 3% for six months (which means a 6% annual rate)????

Edited by KirkNC

I have been using credit card points to book air for cruises. If I open an account with a big bonus for a semi big "spend" (say spend $3,000 for 50,000 bonus points) then I can use those points for airline tickets -- and get additional points for what the airline tickets cost. Because you must pay for air as soon as booked (and because I try for award seats) I would consider paying for the cruise early to get the points in my account sooner.

I am still fairly new at this point counting but in the last 12 months, I have had a roundtrip ticket to Japan for 2 and a one way ticket to Europe for 2 paid for with points -- and four tickets on Southwest. I also have had 4 nights in hotels and another one is booked. Another consideration. My DD found air cheaper on a line she did not have loyalty points with so she applied her airline miles to a cruise for 4 booked through the airline and used her money to book the cheaper airline tickets. As she said -- you have to figure out what is best for you and a way to make those points work best for you. Proud mama -- might not have been my choice but she had a good reason for her purchases. Good luck and consider all sorts of options.

I'm on the South America Grand Voyage this coming January, and the early payment discount was still in effect. In addition to that, because I booked a qualifying cabin category, I also have all hotel charges/gratuities paid plus a hefty on board credit. It was worth it.

I have been using credit card points to book air for cruises. If I open an account with a big bonus for a semi big "spend" (say spend $3,000 for 50,000 bonus points) then I can use those points for airline tickets -- and get additional points for what the airline tickets cost. Because you must pay for air as soon as booked (and because I try for award seats) I would consider paying for the cruise early to get the points in my account sooner.

I am still fairly new at this point counting but in the last 12 months, I have had a roundtrip ticket to Japan for 2 and a one way ticket to Europe for 2 paid for with points -- and four tickets on Southwest. I also have had 4 nights in hotels and another one is booked. Another consideration. My DD found air cheaper on a line she did not have loyalty points with so she applied her airline miles to a cruise for 4 booked through the airline and used her money to book the cheaper airline tickets. As she said -- you have to figure out what is best for you and a way to make those points work best for you. Proud mama -- might not have been my choice but she had a good reason for her purchases. Good luck and consider all sorts of options.

[deleted

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm on the South America Grand Voyage this coming January, and the early payment discount was still in effect. In addition to that, because I booked a qualifying cabin category, I also have all hotel charges/gratuities paid plus a hefty on board credit. It was worth it.

Congrats!!! Happy to hear that you got such a good deal, and I hope your Grand Voyage surpasses your wildest wishes!

By waiting to pay in full you may be able to save some money. My cruise dropped $900 for the 2 of us about a month before final payment was due. I had my TA rebook under the lower fare and saved a bundle. But you will have to monitor prices and ask for the lower price.

I'm surprised more posters haven't cited this as a significant advantage of waiting till due date. It seems to me a "win win" situation; you have locked in a price for your cruise and then if it goes down before final payment, you can take advantage of it. You also have more flexibility for changing cabins, etc.

One of the times we had to make final payment a bit early because we were to be on a cruise when the final payment was due, I asked my PCC if a price drop occurred prior to the actual due date of final payment, would we get the discount and was assured we would. He told me though a final payment is made, the full terms of 'shut off' for taking advantage of any offers is not until the actual date that final payment was due.

One of the times we had to make final payment a bit early because we were to be on a cruise when the final payment was due, I asked my PCC if a price drop occurred prior to the actual due date of final payment, would we get the discount and was assured we would. He told me though a final payment is made, the full terms of 'shut off' for taking advantage of any offers is not until the actual date that final payment was due.

Very interesting, Sail, good to know.

You will have such a grand journey! My single best piece of advice is take a heavy winter coat hat and gloves and at least one pair of heavy pants and tights for under them . Really cold on deck for going around Cape Horn and windy /cold looking for penguins. Worth the packing space

Thank you, We must pay early for the Maasdam's Rio and Amazon cruise sailing in January, because we are leaving shortly for another cruise. It is good to know that if the price goes down before final payment date, we will get the difference credited back to us.